HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Antimatter Trapped for Amazingly Long 16 Minutes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Antimatter Trapped for Amazingly Long 16 Minutes   Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:27 pm

OK, Scottie, start the engines!!!!alien

Science

Published June 05, 2011| LiveScience Katie Bertsche

Antimatter, an elusive type of matter that's rare in the universe, has now been trapped for more than 16 minutes — an eternity in particle physics.

In fact, scientists who've been trapping antihydrogen atoms at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Geneva say isolating the exotic particles has become so routine that they expect to soon begin experiments on this rare substance.

Antimatter is like a mirror image of matter. For every matter particle (a hydrogen atom, for example), a matching antimatter particle is thought to exist (in this case, an antihydrogen atom) with the same mass, but the opposite charge.

"We've trapped antihydrogen atoms for as long as 1,000 seconds, which is forever" in the world of high-energy particle physics, said Joel Fajans, a University of California, Berkeley professor of physics who is a faculty scientist at California's Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and a member of the ALPHA (Antihydrogen Laser Physics Apparatus) experiment at CERN.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/06/05/antimatter-trapped-for-amazingly-long-16-minutes/#ixzz1OS1ZMBED
Back to top Go down
The Nagel
Odist

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Antimatter Trapped for Amazingly Long 16 Minutes   Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:29 am

see... that's interesting to me.. the whole field is fascinating... it's like living in a sci-fi story...

however.. i'm planning on pretty much ignoring it all until they can acctually DO somethign with it...

yeah.. it's big.. HUGE.. i understand that... but, on a practical level, at this point it's usless....

when we get to the point where we are able to do something besides point excitedly and scream "LOOK ! LOOK! THERE IT IS!! RIGHT THERE! WE CAUGHT ONE!!", then i'll start paying attention again.

when i see ' UCBerkley announces it's begun working on developing a matter/antimatter generator ( or ray gun, or heck, even a light bulb) then i'll put down my playboy and read some more.

i guess i'm to much of a pragmtist to get caught up in the theoretical side of it. i want gadgets and toys and spaceships. then i'll be interested Smile
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Antimatter Trapped for Amazingly Long 16 Minutes   Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:44 am

Spoken like a true man. I WANT TOYS!!!!!!!!!

LOL

It's amazing to me that it could even be detected. The science is well over my head, but I do love to read about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Antimatter Trapped for Amazingly Long 16 Minutes   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1