Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
unclegus
Balladeer

Scorpio

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:30 am

Good morning Alabama!

I have a prospective job to do in Cullman way,
that is a long way to go, but this time of year things get slow so I may need it.
Back to top Go down
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:20 am

Good morning, world!

Cold and Christmasy Very Happy
Staying home today.....cleaning house and baking some goodies for a little
get together we're having Saturday night. And i have some hand sewing lined up to
take care of while watching the original Christmas in Connecticut this afternoon. tree
Back to top Go down
Sassy Kims
Balladeer

Leo

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:16 am

Good morning all.

Dentist appointment this morning, then some more work this afternoon. Got to cook some pies and a cake this evening. Found a recipe for a Jam Cake that sounds delicious...
Back to top Go down
unclegus
Balladeer

Scorpio

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:41 am

Morning Sassy and all!
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:27 am

Good Morning All!
Back to top Go down
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:32 am

Good morning everyone sunny

Busy day ahead ..... tree
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:23 am

Good morning Sassy, unc, Ubu, Purr and all. snowsmile

I work a long shift ending after my bedtime, which is a guarantee for shenanigans. I shall certainly embarrass either myself or my coworkers at least once. elf

I enjoyed HGTV's coverage of White House Christmas decor this year. Had to share this portion with our animal lovers here. If you get a chance to see it, it's really interesting. This one is a replica of the Obamas' doggie friend. Smile

Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:11 pm

My heart hurts.
Connecticut ..... all those people. All the children, their families....... Sad
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:01 pm

I am strongly opposed to gun control, but after this, even I have to admit, something has to be done. I'm not smart enough to know what, but we gotta do something. This has got to stop.
Back to top Go down
Sassy Kims
Balladeer

Leo

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:54 am

His brother has publicly said that the murderer had mental issues. Every mass or spree murderer I'm aware of in recent times has been discovered to have been known prior to the act to be mentally unstable.

What we need is better mental health laws that take notification about dangerous individuals out from under the HIPAA Privacy Rule and the hell away from politically correctness. If they are dangerous, require them to be locked up until an accountable physician will sign off that they are not dangerous. Require medications to be dispensed by third party care givers instead of allowing the sick patient to self medicate when they want to.

And require teachers and all school staff to attend training, and to carry firearms at all times.
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:34 am

I agree Sassy. Like the naked lady I dealt with here. They would send her home, and she wouldn't take her meds. Bam! Naked, sittin on the porch cussin people. They finally hauled her away after she defecated on the porch and the furniture. She tried to defecate on one of the residents, and when the police arrived she tried to defecate on one of them. I think that finally convinced them to do something. Something has to be done. This mass shooting crap has to stop.
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:55 am

Mornin Mornin

Sounds a much better plan than what we have now, Sassy, which is basically no plan at all.

I am going with the daughter today to meet the ex-SIL halfway between here and Texas for grandson's two week visit. I hate that he has to do this, not visit his Dad, but that the stay is too long away from Mom for a two year old.

Prayers for the families hurting in Connecticut right now.
Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:58 am

I have been sick with a nasty virus but think I might live now.

I don't want teachers carrying guns at all. I just don't at all. We have guns all over and the violence is all over this country. More guns and more and more aren't going to stop this. I knew someone once who was bipolar and had many guns. He was aggressive, sometimes depressed and sometimes high and still aggressive. The doctors told his family to lock up the guns, but one day I saw his trunk and he had several guns in it. Scared the crap out of me, and when I casually asked why he had all those in the trunk he said if someone bothered his family he would blow them away. affraid Yes, his family knew. If you have guns and you are diagnosed with mental illness I think they have to be taken away. Look at the map of the world and these shootings...the US has guns all over and we have all these shootings. I am not saying take everyone's guns at all and wouldn't ever support that, but I think this is a combination of private citizen and government needed to stop this. If your kids have mental health issues why have guns around your house? If you have them and are mentally ill your family should be removing them from your house. Anyone who has guns out and not seriously locked up is responsible if someone is shot. I'm just saying lock them up or don't have them if a family member with issues can get them. Did they have a resource office like our kids' school does I wonder?

I am all for metal detectors and resource officers at schools, but arming teachers...adding more guns to the mix and trying to keep them handy but totally safe from kids makes no sense to me. teachers aren't law enforcement and I don't want my kids taught by a teacher with a gun on her hip. And requiring anyone to carry a gun is not okay, either. A mad kid grabs her gun and shoots her? She is busy, sets her gun down, and some kid finds it? guns and schools don't mix unless they are on a police officer or trained security guard. This has to stop and it should have been addressed a long time ago. Crying
Back to top Go down
Sassy Kims
Balladeer

Leo

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:17 am

Sync,

Not to argue...but to discuss...

Here's what a noted firearms expert and career law enforcement trainer/teacher has to say.

Quote :
I’ll repeat what I said in the Wall Street Journal op-ed section and on the Today show in 1999, after the Columbine High School atrocity: if we simply prepared teachers to handle this type of crisis the way we teach them to handle fires and medical emergencies, the death toll would drop dramatically. We don’t hear of mass deaths of children in school fires these days: fire drills have long since been commonplace, led by trained school staff, not to mention sprinkler systems and smoke alarms and strategically placed fire extinguishers that can nip a blaze in the bud while firefighters are en route. In the past, if someone “dropped dead,” people would cry and wring their hands and wail, “When will the ambulance get here?” Today, almost every responsible adult knows CPR; most schools have easily-operated Automatic Electronic Defibrillators readily accessible; and a heart attack victim’s chance of surviving until the paramedics arrive to take over is now far greater.

The same principle works for defending against mass murders…it just doesn’t work HERE, because it is politically incorrect to employ it HERE. After the Ma’alot massacre in 1974, Israel instituted a policy in which volunteer school personnel, parents, and grandparents received special training from the civil guard, and were seeded throughout the schools armed with discreetly concealed 9mm semiautomatic pistols. Since that time, there has been no successful mass murder at an Israeli school, and every attempt at such has been quickly shortstopped by the good guys’ gunfire, with minimal casualties among the innocent. Similar programs are in place in Peru and the Phillippines, with similarly successful results.

This was posted by Massad Ayoob, owner and principle instructor of the Lethal Force Institute. He's a career cop, and an expert witness on use of force.

I fully believe what he says...teach the teachers and all school staff what to do, how to do it, and then give them the equipment to do it with. Then, our kids will be safe.
Back to top Go down
unclegus
Balladeer

Scorpio

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:41 am

I am not particularly fond of guns, but i would be glad to volunteer my time and resources to be a (civil guard) to protect the masses from idiots.

Good morning friends!
Back to top Go down
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:42 am

I agree with teaching them what to do and how to do it. I am fine with a gun in the office locked up to be pulled out if needed.I don't agree with having teachers carry guns. As a former teacher I say this, as a parent I would detest it, and the chances of a teacher having her own issues is there as well, even if not diagnosed. It would also open to kids with issues (and there are more than we think, I assure you from teaching them) trying to get the easily accessible guns. I don't want to be in Israel or Peru, and while I definitely agree that people standing around wringing hands is NOT a good thing and yes, if teachers want to learn to shoot fine, and yes, have plans and practice them. But no, having teachers all have to have guns and adding more guns to the mix just doesn't make sense to me. Sorry..I have been there with a kid with a gun in my class a foot from me, and me having a gun wouldn't have helped the situation. It could in some cases and I can see make things worse in some cases in my personal view.

We can just agree to disagree here...I read that Israeli teachers don't carry guns, but they do have armed security guards, which I am fine with. I don't want teacher carrying guns and there are several people I know who have guns who don't need to have them, but they apparently qualified for them. I don't have all the answers, but turning all schools into gun zones because a very few nuts or nasty people choose to go after innocents doesn't make sense to me. Train, plan, and practice, but arming everyone and making them carry guns, especially if they aren't tempermentally suited to using one safely, wouldn't fix this...just my view and I know you come from a totally different viewpoint. If I were a firearms expert I would be used to guns, choose to have them around me, but still accidents happen. The mother bought those guns..perhaps since apparently she or some of the family knew the kid was unstable not having them right there in the house would be a good start. Just my thoughts and I'm sure this will be punted and made totally political instead of doing something constructive ...I hope I am wrong.

Just thought I would add that I realize people have different ideas on this and I respect them and know we all come from different backgrounds and different skill sets. I also know that what I think won't matter a hill of beans in anything that is done if anything is done about this...so we can just agree to disagree and I will wish my best for the families involved. Hug
Back to top Go down
unclegus
Balladeer

Scorpio

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:45 am

Sync, I don't see anywhere where anyone is saying all teachers should be armed, that is where you apparently have issue with?
If a teacher/school employee is comfortable with with taking on this extra measure, then by all means lets give them the training
and the ability to defend themselves and the innocent children they already are responsible for.

On the other hand, i do not think the students should be aware the teacher is armed.
Back to top Go down
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:47 am

Sassy Kims wrote:
His brother has publicly said that the murderer had mental issues. Every mass or spree murderer I'm aware of in recent times has been discovered to have been known prior to the act to be mentally unstable.

What we need is better mental health laws that take notification about dangerous individuals out from under the HIPAA Privacy Rule and the hell away from politically correctness. If they are dangerous, require them to be locked up until an accountable physician will sign off that they are not dangerous. Require medications to be dispensed by third party care givers instead of allowing the sick patient to self medicate when they want to.

And require teachers and all school staff to attend training, and to carry firearms at all times.

This is where I saw it.
Back to top Go down
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:50 am

unclegus wrote:
Sync, I don't see anywhere where anyone is saying all teachers should be armed, that is where you apparently have issue with?
If a teacher/school employee is comfortable with with taking on this extra measure, then by all means lets give them the training
and the ability to defend themselves and the innocent children they already are responsible for.

On the other hand, i do not think the students should be aware the teacher is armed.

Kids will most likely catch a glimpse and tell their friends and then it's out anyway. But I didn't say anything to argue. It's my view and that is all it is based on my life and life experiences, which obviously are different from anyone else's. I agree with Blue. The change is needed and I hope it is made by people who are seeing things from a fair and balanced perspective is all. scratch
Back to top Go down
Sassy Kims
Balladeer

Leo

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:43 pm

Just got through reading an article about a lecture given by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. It says that in the past 50 years not one child in America has been killed in a fire at a school. Why? Because of redundant layers of protection. Kids are trained on fire drills. Teachers are given responsibilities that they must follow. Every room has a fire extinguisher. Every room is built with fire retardant materials, and has sprinkler systems in the ceiling. Every exit door has a sign over it that is hooked to a battery backup that will keep it going for years. And, to top it off, you have fire fighters on standby day in and day out with hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment. The point of this all is this: So who are we to call paranoid about all this fire safety? The firefighter? The teacher? The principal? The school board? Not one kid lost in over 50 years...so why be so vigilant?

So when are we going to get over being paranoid about teaching and preparing for assaults at school? When are we going to give the school employees the ability to protect our kids if the bad guy comes visiting? As for "outlawing" guns, how's that working with outlawing drugs? It's not. Heroin and Cocaine have been outlawed for years, but are available on the street any time. It won't work...and if it does, and you're able to eliminate every gun in America, what about baseball bats (the number one weapon used in assaults for a long time)? How about kitchen knives? 9/11 hijackers used short bladed razor knives to kill and cower the people on planes into submission, and then killed them all.

I'd be all for putting a cop or two in every school. But only an armed cop...one who trains and is armed with the necessary equipment to withstand an armed assault against the students. Put enough armed cops in the schools, and I'll back off of wanting teachers to be armed. Otherwise, I think it's the next best alternative.

I have no need or desire to hide the guns. I think that is part of the problem with us today. We want to hide things we find distasteful or "not nice". You ain't deceiving kids...they know whats there and whats going on. I am certain of that. If you have kids in a house, they know everything in that house, where its at and who hid it there. Too many years as a cop taught me that. Kids are nosey, and will find out.

Everybody's opinion is important. And input from everybody is necessary to make an informed decision. What I've talked about is from my life's perspective as well.
Back to top Go down
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup
Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:27 pm

I have to agree Sassy. An assailant might think twice if he/she thought they would meet resistance. At best the idiot would go straight to the gun in the mouth and forgo the slaughter of innocents, and at worse the death toll would be reduced. I believe this latest outrage will unify America and we will start trying to find a viable solution. I keep seeing the picture of that poor woman on her cell phone with that horrified anguished look on her face. I can barely hold back the hears, and I can't imagine her pain. I feel sorry for the officers that had to work that call. Hell, it hurts...all of us.
Back to top Go down
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:34 pm

I totally agree with being prepared...totally. I don't think people don't want to talk about gun control, gun safety, or being prepared just because it is distasteful, though. I totally agree with being prepared and have no problem with security that is truly trained, of course the resource officer(s) being armed, and even a gun locked safely and the principal/vice principal and even any willing guidance counselor being trained to grab it and trained in when to use it. I just don't agree with teachers being armed, but if you have the rest of the precautions in place I don't it as necessary anyway. We aren't that far apart on how we feel about being prepared and even most of the ways we would prepare. Yes

Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:47 pm

Armed security guards at all entrances to all schools. Passes to all kids and teacher. I think the teachers should be trained and armed, but do see that some would not want to. More gun restrictions just cause more illegal guns.
A nutcase killing people makes no sense and he could have easily used a car, homemade bomb, or set fire to the building.
In 2011:
32, 300 people died from car wrecks.
17,000 people committed suicide with guns.
8,583 people were murdered with guns.
1,694 were killed with knives
weather forces killed 1096 and injured 8830.
728 were beat to death with feet and hands
496 were bludgeoned to death

Nothing is 100 percent safe and nothing is 100 harmful.

Had a guard or teacher been armed, the only one dead would be the shooter.

It all goes back to the person and not the method used. DC has the strictest gun laws and the highest gun related crime - with 16 firearms murders per 100,000.

Back to top Go down
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:18 pm

lmm wrote:

It all goes back to the person and not the method used.

that's it in a nutshell.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good morning   

Back to top Go down

Good morning
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next