A Southern Point of View

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

SKS Question for Sassy or Annie Oakley or Someone

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Firenze
Odist

PostSubject: SKS Question for Sassy or Annie Oakley or Someone   Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:32 am

My "nephew" just bought an SKS or SKS type. He's told it's an older one, has Chinese writing. He is much more into guns than I wish and doesn't have anyone to really advise him.

What should he know about this gun? He bought some ammo at Walmart that the clerk "says" will fit. I'm worried he'll blow the gun and himself up.

Any advice?
Back to top Go down
http://pen-n-sword.com/
Sassy Kims
Balladeer

Leo

PostSubject: Re: SKS Question for Sassy or Annie Oakley or Someone   Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:39 am

They are dependable, strongly made guns. Literally millions of them have been made in Communist block countries since 1943. They were the communist battle rifle until the AK-47 was fully developed and manufactured, and are still in military use in some poorer countries.

All SKS rifles that I know of use the 7.62x39 cartridge. It's roughly equivalent to a .30-30. There is a lot of commercial made ammo for this gun on the market, and a lot of military surplus. Short of something stupid, like jamming something in the muzzle and firing it, he should have no problems with the gun.

If it's in it's original configuration, it should have an attached 10 round magazine. The sights are rudimentary, but effective. It would be a good deer rifle out to about 150 yards.
Back to top Go down
Firenze
Odist

PostSubject: Re: SKS Question for Sassy or Annie Oakley or Someone   Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:15 am

He wants to hunt wild hogs in Bankhead Forrest. I've told him that Florence may have some organized hunts, but he's not willing to wait. I'll let y'all know if we need a search party.

(I've told him I'll kill him if he shoots a deer.)
Back to top Go down
http://pen-n-sword.com/
unclegus
Balladeer

Scorpio

PostSubject: Re: SKS Question for Sassy or Annie Oakley or Someone   Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:33 am

If he shoots a deer, tell him I will eat it!!!
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: SKS Question for Sassy or Annie Oakley or Someone   Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:36 am

Firenze wrote:
He wants to hunt wild hogs in Bankhead Forrest. I've told him that Florence may have some organized hunts, but he's not willing to wait. I'll let y'all know if we need a search party.

(I've told him I'll kill him if he shoots a deer.)

There are plenty of guys hunting hogs around here. Stop and ask you friendly game warden and I'm sure he can hook him up with some guys that would take him under their wing.

I think the SKS would be a little over the top for hog hunting. Most people Whistle use dogs to track them down and hold them. Then just go in and slit their throats or stick a .45 in their ear.
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: SKS Question for Sassy or Annie Oakley or Someone   Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:41 am

Buttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt, I support his right to use the SKS................ Clap Clap
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SKS Question for Sassy or Annie Oakley or Someone   

Back to top Go down

SKS Question for Sassy or Annie Oakley or Someone
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1