Share | 

Any campers, here?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
dogsoldier0513
Sonneteer

PostSubject: Any campers, here?   Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:50 pm

Specifically primitive campers? If so, sing out!
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Any campers, here?   Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:09 pm

pssfh......is there any other way Razz

LOL, I know what you mean. I don't call pulling the RV into a camp site, unfurling the awning grabbing a few steaks from the fridge and throwing them on the pull out grill.......camping.

With the son so involved in baseball we don't do as much as we did once upon a time, but the daughter is starting to show an interest in it now. She's really enjoying getting out and sitting around a fire listening to the sounds of the night. If everything comes together we are headed out this weekend. An overnight canoe trip.
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Any campers, here?   Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:33 pm

It's been a while, but that's the only way I know how to camp. I grew up small town & with nothing else to do, we went camping a lot.

We took that kids when they were small. I will be taking my grandson and teaching that boy right when he gets older.

You know, my husband and I should go camping. That would be fun and inexpensive. Dance
Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
The Nagel
Odist

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Any campers, here?   Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:38 pm

my idea of getting back to nature is sitting next to the plants in the mall.

if there isn't hot and cold running water, flush toilets and air conditioning, i'm not interested.

lewis and clark didn't blaze a trail across the country because they wanted to, they just couldn't find a holiday inn.
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: Any campers, here?   Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:31 pm

Used to love to go. Then I got old. I'm like the Nagle. Central heat and air please. And that ground is a lot harder than it used to be.
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Any campers, here?   Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:49 pm

Hmm, I'm not altogether sure how I'd fare these days sleeping on the ground. I'm thinking at age 43 that one of those blow up mattresses still constitutes roughing it.

lol!
Back to top Go down
dogsoldier0513
Sonneteer

PostSubject: Re: Any campers, here?   Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:32 am

I grew up camping, beginning ca. 1965 in a home-made pop-up that my grand dad made. I have fond memories of learning to swim while camping at Smith Lake.

As I got older, our campers grew more 'sophisticated', culminating with a 32' Holiday Rambler by the time I finished high school.

Skip forward to about 1998, when I 'rediscovered' camping in its purest form, that being 'minimal equipment'. The group I was a member of in the 'pre-Y2K' days called it 'BOB camping', 'BOB' standing for 'buy out bag'.

In any event, my ex-wife's idea of 'camping' was 'roughing it' at a Holiday In Express. My new bride, however, is a country girl through and through and loves camping.

Hmmmm.....maybe we should have a 'forum campout' when the weather turns more agreeable...say early October? I have 300+ acres....... Smile
Back to top Go down
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: Any campers, here?   Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:57 am

Does being stranded and having to sleep in the car count as camping? If not, then i've never been....
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Any campers, here?   Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:14 am

So he told you he ran out of gas huh? (((wink wink)))

Sorry Puf, couldn't resist!!!

Giggle
Back to top Go down
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: Any campers, here?   Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:19 am

of course not!
i was driving, so i told him <nudge, nudge> Giggle

Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Any campers, here?   Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:34 am

bahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
dogsoldier0513
Sonneteer

PostSubject: Re: Any campers, here?   Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:09 pm

Will you guys get back on topic, pleeeeeezzzzz....? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Any campers, here?   Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:38 pm

Okay,,,,,so this one time at band camp.....no wait, wrong story........ Very Happy

Once upon a time my brother was an assistant at Shoals Community College teaching survivalist skills. They usually would load a group to either Sipsey or Bankhead and try to teach them to "exist". Seemed to a pretty good thing while it lasted. He spent a week in the Everglades with nothing but a knife and fishing tackle. Afterwards, we had a get together at the house and his class was asking him were he learned his "skills". LOL, just by being raised up in the country.

He's done Mt. Washington and was scheduled to go to Everest, but the class was cut.........I've done the Applachian Trail, part of Mt. Rainer and other places in the Pacific Northwest. Yosemite, Sedona etc..........
Back to top Go down
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: Any campers, here?   Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:15 pm

okay.....
seriously, i have never been camping, but it sounds like it would be fun.
Back to top Go down
dogsoldier0513
Sonneteer

PostSubject: Re: Any campers, here?   Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:47 pm

Ubu wrote:
Okay,,,,,so this one time at band camp.....no wait, wrong story........ Very Happy

Once upon a time my brother was an assistant at Shoals Community College teaching survivalist skills. They usually would load a group to either Sipsey or Bankhead and try to teach them to "exist". Seemed to a pretty good thing while it lasted. He spent a week in the Everglades with nothing but a knife and fishing tackle. Afterwards, we had a get together at the house and his class was asking him were he learned his "skills". LOL, just by being raised up in the country.

He's done Mt. Washington and was scheduled to go to Everest, but the class was cut.........I've done the Applachian Trail, part of Mt. Rainer and other places in the Pacific Northwest. Yosemite, Sedona etc..........

Dude....we need to talk!
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Any campers, here?   Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:23 pm

hmmmpff, thought we were Razz

I agree, over a beer would be better. But I've promised Blue lunch first......right now I've having a hard time finding the time.....

My skills have waned due to non-use and I KNOW I'm not up to a five mile hike at this point. Yet, I'm doing better than my brother-he has gotten fat and sassy...... Giggle

Are you familiar with the class over at Shoals and Bob?????? What about Dan????

What about canoeing?????? Once upon a time I was a canoe instructor........the article in the paper hit home today. About three months ago the son got caught up there......was taking two others down the creek and they (the two he carried) were inexperienced.....when he got ready to portage around, one of the guys stood up and they swamped and got carried over the weir.....

Gotta Go.......Headed out to another baseball tournament, the son is "on the hill" tonight.......double header over in Blue's town......I'll yell "hey" when I roll by Blue!
Back to top Go down
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: Any campers, here?   Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:15 pm

TDF poster Budsfarm used to tell some good survivalist stories. Camping to the nth degree.
Back to top Go down
dogsoldier0513
Sonneteer

PostSubject: Re: Any campers, here?   Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:26 am

FWIW, in a former, 'pre-Y2K' life, I was an instructor with this group:

www.alpharubicon.com
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Any campers, here?   Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:48 am

Thanks, I linked that site

I like this statement:

It's not enough to simply "Survive", you must also "live"!
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Any campers, here?   Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:04 am

I just found the stupidest idea (or most brilliant if you happen to be the one profiting) I've ever heard and had to share it here...

Link: Glamping: the cure for the common camping trip

Quote :
The fact that her campsite came with a butler and camp chef didn’t hurt, either.

That's NOT camping. Doing everything by your own hands is the rewarding part, the FUN part. Catching the big fish! Seeing the fire roar to perfection & you did it! When you are good and tired from swimming/hiking/fishing/canoeing/etc., getting the hammock hooked to some trees and taking the best nap EVER listening to the sounds of nature! Roasting marshmallows over the fired YOU made. Roasting hot dogs that I swear taste better than any other way they are made. Getting that tent up & when a soft rain comes, no leaks! Yay!

The people paying for 'glamping' are stupid, but the people who are charging for the 'glamping' know other people's stupid is money in their pocket. Amazing.
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Any campers, here?   Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:31 am

Sitting here thinking about camping made me think of one of my fondest memories...foot hanging over the side of the hammock, I rocked my baby girl to sleep and we napped together on the hammock...soft breeze and nature sounds and that sweet baby...doesn't get much better than that. Smile
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: Any campers, here?   Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:20 am

Ahhhh...you paint a pretty picture Joy. I ain't got a hammock, or a baby, so I think I'll take the mandolin out to the porch and see how long I can take the heat. Laughing
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Any campers, here?   Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:23 am

Nice imagery.

I'm a city girl. Never been camping. My mom hated dirt. I love walks in the woods though.
Or following a nature path. Just sitting outside listening to tree frogs or birds sign is very relaxing.
Back to top Go down
dogsoldier0513
Sonneteer

PostSubject: Re: Any campers, here?   Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:28 pm

I swear... it's sounding more and more like we all need to plan a little camping trip. Say...early to mid-October? I HATE camping in weather like we're having now.
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Any campers, here?   Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:16 pm

I hate moving in weather like this! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any campers, here?   

Back to top Go down

Any campers, here?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top