Alabamian

A Southern Point of View

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

FYI, if lmm gives you advice re: your cat...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: FYI, if lmm gives you advice re: your cat...   Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:12 am

...take it.

lmm, you're brilliant! Thanks for the cat advice! The squeamish need read no further...haha.

My cat, Kato the Attack Kitty, had begun peeing on the carpet & appeared to have blood in his urine. We put a 'pee pad' (usually used with dogs I think) on his favorite pee spot & he does use it, but I was worried about him & could not afford a vet bill right now. I looked up his symptoms on the web & decided possibly urinary tract infection. lmm said could be kidney stones, but he likely needed more water.

I keep Kato's water beside his food bowl. She advised me to move it to the bathroom. Oh my goodness, it worked like magic. He drinks more water now than he ever has before, which was quite minimal. We keep the lid on the toilet down because I just think drinking out of the toilet is gross...poor cat was likely thirsting to death, literally.

I feed Kato dry food. She advised me to get canned labeled 'with gravy'. Kato thinks he's died and gone to Heaven right now...and he licks up the gravy first before eating the meat! Yay! So I've been adding a little extra water to his food.

Kato says 'meow' - that's cat for 'thank you'. Kitty
Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: FYI, if lmm gives you advice re: your cat...   Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:21 am

I hate cats. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: FYI, if lmm gives you advice re: your cat...   Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:37 am

Yay, Joy, I am so glad. Cats are peculiar creatures. You don't own them, they allow you to serve them. Razz

Hopefully, that should help to clear up the infection. Have you tried the cranberry drops as well???
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: FYI, if lmm gives you advice re: your cat...   Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:38 am

Buffalo wrote:
I hate cats. Evil or Very Mad
I'm sure the feeling is mutual buff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FYI, if lmm gives you advice re: your cat...   Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:47 am

There are 4 of the nasty critters at my door every day meowing. They must like me.
Back to top Go down
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: FYI, if lmm gives you advice re: your cat...   Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:50 am

what was the purpose of moving the waterbowl, and specifically , why to the bathroom? the sound of other water made him thirstier?
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: FYI, if lmm gives you advice re: your cat...   Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:58 am

lmm said to think of cat behavior in the wild...they kill and gorge but don't drink water where they eat; they drink at the water source & usually at night for safety...makes sense to me and apparently to Kato. It worked. Smile

I haven't tried the cranberry drops yet. I think we will try those after my husband gets home from work today...although if they taste good to Kato, he might take the drops for me without my husband's help. I guess I could give it a try.
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: FYI, if lmm gives you advice re: your cat...   Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:01 am

They go to bathroom because they can smell the water in the toilet just like smelling the water hole.
It does seem to work. So, until I can get one of mine to confirm the theory, I'll put the bowls in separate rooms.
Back to top Go down
The Nagel
Odist

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: FYI, if lmm gives you advice re: your cat...   Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:11 pm

keep in mind tho, a purely canned diet is also bad for cats ( and dogs).
they are carnivores.. they need something to crunch, something that resists chewing a little to keep their teeth strong, so throw in some dry food from time to time. my grandmother had cats my whole life, but never fed them anything by friskies canned food, and after a few years of that they acctually lost teeth because there was nothing for the to acctually chew on.

i'm cat people - always have been. i've seen the thing with the water bowl in action. the cat we have now doesn't give half a damn where the water bowl is, but some very much care.
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: FYI, if lmm gives you advice re: your cat...   Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:55 pm

That's true Nagel. We keep kittie crunches in a bowl all day. They can snack on that then get the wet stuff morning and night. Or you can also give them the treat snacks to munch on and that helps with the teeth as well. It's not so much to keep then teeth strong, but to keep tarter buildup off which can cause the teeth to rot out.
Hamsters, mice and other rodents have to chew to wear down their teeth. They are always growing. If given only a soft diet, the teeth will actually grow through the upper and lower jaws. OUCH!

The dog always gets dry good with wet on top as a treat. Of course, he will drink rain water, so water is not a problem. Razz

We had one client that fed her chihuahua only canned chicken. The thing died for lack of nutrition. She had it spoiled so bad it would not eat anything else.
Note to all: pets are not kids, you have to do the thinking!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: FYI, if lmm gives you advice re: your cat...   Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:42 am

Hey, I missed these last two posts. scratch Hope I haven't missed others...oh well.

Thanks for the advice. Kato did inform me in no uncertain terms last night that crunchy was back on the menu...such a spoiled rotten cat. He got his way of course. They are rather persistent that way. Kitty
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: FYI, if lmm gives you advice re: your cat...   Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:59 am

Of course, that's why they were made. To keep us in line. Peace

Glad he is feeling better. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: FYI, if lmm gives you advice re: your cat...   Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:35 pm

I know you've probably heardthis gefore but here goes.

The difference in cats and dogs.
A dog looks at you and says..my master loves me, feeds me, takes care of my every need. He must be a God.
A cat looks at you and says...my master loves me, feeds me, takes care of my every need. I must be a God.
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: FYI, if lmm gives you advice re: your cat...   Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:11 am

And it's all true Blue. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FYI, if lmm gives you advice re: your cat...   

Back to top Go down

FYI, if lmm gives you advice re: your cat...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1