Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   Fri May 20, 2011 10:22 am

Link: Redistricting plan splits Shoals

Quote :
MONTGOMERY - One day after the Legislative Reapportionment Committee adopted a redistricting plan that kept the Shoals in one congressional district, the plan got reversed.

On Thursday, the committee adopted Republican state Rep. Micky Hammon's substitute district plan for Congress that puts all of Morgan County in the 5th Congressional District that U.S. Rep. Mo Brooks, R-Huntsville, now represents.

Hammon's plan splits the Shoals for the first time since Reconstruction.

The plan, which was approved by committee members 19-1, puts Lauderdale County in the 5th District and Colbert County in the 4th District, which is represented by Rep. Robert Aderholt, R-Haleyville.

The Legislature will begin debating the recommended redistricting plan next week and will have the final say...

...Hammon said he and Sen. Arthur Orr, R-Decatur, tried to put all of Morgan County in District 4, the preferred plan of many county leaders, but the numbers did not add up.

“You can't redraw one county; you have to do it all,” Hammon said. “It caused problems for other counties in the district.”

Hammon told committee members earlier in the day that “it is more important to keep counties whole than to keep two adjoining counties in the same congressional district.”

Orr said the population of Colbert County is almost the same as Decatur, a necessary swap to get all of Morgan back in District 5. That meant Colbert County had to be moved into the 4th District.

Hammon and Orr said they initially thought the plan by Sen. Gerald Allen, R-Tuscaloosa, which the committee tentatively adopted Wednesday, would work. The Allen plan put Morgan in District 4 and Colbert and Lauderdale in District 5. Orr and Hammon each voted for Allen's plan.

“Then we started getting calls,” Orr said.

The calls came from members of Congress, the reapportionment committee and others, he said.

“We had no choice but to go to District 5,” Orr said.

Orr said Hammon's plan divides the Shoals into two districts, but added at least neither county is divided into two districts as Morgan has been since the 2001 plan....

...Greer said as he tried to build support for his plan, but committee members kept saying it was more important to keep counties whole that to keep adjacent counties in one district. The adopted plan, however, has several examples of counties being divided into multiple districts. For instance, Montgomery County would be divided into three congressional districts if the plan is approved.

Am I the only person who reads this and sees the makings of a great Three Stooges skit? Forgive me if that offends and perhaps I'm short-sighted, but they seem to be making this more complicated than necessary. The Shoals area is too interconnected to split up, seeing as how we've been together since Reconstruction. I assume the point is to make sure all districts are equal in number. If you can't do the math, find someone who can. JMHO
Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
The Nagel
Odist

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   Fri May 20, 2011 6:32 pm

i saw this someplace else, and i have to admit i don't really understand it all, but i don't really care much either so it's ok.

it's all gonna come down to voting stuff i guess, and since all politicians are automatically suspect and distrusted by me, i don't much care which one i've voting againt or what district they are in.
i can't say i see how this will affect me even a little.
i admit it does seem a little more convolouted and complicated than is necessary, but it's the goverment... i don't get any anyone is surprised.
after all an elephant is a mouse built to government specifications. the underlying motto of the government is ' if it ain't broke, fix it till it is."
that certainly seems to apply in this situation.
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   Fri May 20, 2011 9:17 pm

Seems every time I vote, it's for a different group. One time I'm in 5 the next, 3. Right now, my street divides the voting area. Each side of the street is in a different district. STUPID!
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   Fri May 20, 2011 9:52 pm

I have worked for several years now trying to bring change to our local government. I volunteer by serving on various boards and commitees in the Shoals. Change is slow to come............

I have thought long and hard about the re-districting of our area and I see the positive and negative of both sides. I really don't have an opinion either way. Ultimately it does not matter. It will be what it will be. Montgomery and Washington will do what they will.

The underlying problem is the many different governments that "serve" our area. Until conslidation occurs and we become in reality "The Shoals" we are weak and disjointed.

Imagine what could happen if we were merged into say "the 4th largest city in Alabama"...........
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   Fri May 20, 2011 10:54 pm

A nice idea, but everyone wants to have their 'own' city. Where I live is really mixed up. My power comes from Sheffield, my water from Littleville, my mail is delivered by a Tuscumbia Postal truck, I have to use the county sheriff, and hubby worked in Muscle Shoals. cheers
Back to top Go down
Evil Genius
Sonneteer

PostSubject: Re: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   Mon May 23, 2011 10:34 am

I will never understand the current voting population in the south and the Shoals. Knowing that the Republicans have stated clearly their purpose to gut the federal government (and thus programs like those supporting small airports) and once taking the state government to put things like redistricting and torturing teacher unions to their advantage, people vote for Republicans and then start complaining when they do what they said they would do.

I say, learn to live with it if you are going to not take the time to figure out what is in your best interest before you vote, but instead vote the way some preacher or radio windbag tells you how to vote.

I respect people's right to vote for whoever they want, but just don't complain when your ignorance cost you something you want. Live with it, I am.

I hope they close the airport and the Republican held state legislature throws northwest Alabama back into a poor barefoot wearing rabble like they were before President Roosevelt and the Democrats saved us in the 30's and 40's. It's time you people that vote ignorantly for Republicans have to suffer for your voting. I can live with it just to watch them grasps their face in horror as they learn what new torment the legislature throws our way.
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   Mon May 23, 2011 10:55 am

My first instinct as a Christian in reading your post is to say kiss my grits. Razz After cooling my jets a minute, however, I agree with you.

I won't blame it on people following what the preacher said, having been to enough church business meetings to know people have no problem speaking their minds...haha...but I do agree that people do not do their homework before voting. They trust some group or political pundit to give them all the info and vote as they vote.

I can't tell you how many times I've been given info, went home to check out the facts and found it to be false info. Our country is in a mess. If all Americans don't stop being lazy at election time, it's going to get worse.
Back to top Go down
Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   Mon May 23, 2011 11:58 am

Evil, am I comfortable with that position?
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   Mon May 23, 2011 12:57 pm

Usually voting republican myself, calling someone ignorant is not very nice.

I could say all democrats are spineless wimps, but I won't! Giggle

Picking a candidate that stands for what you believe in is all you can do. After they get elected, expect them to do nothing.
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   Mon May 23, 2011 1:32 pm

hmmmmmm, what about Senator Norris (R)........"known as the father of TVA".......

http://www.tva.gov/abouttva/history.htm

Just goes to show you that not all Repubs are conservative and not all demos are liberal.........

Of course that was the 1930's....today, well........your guess is as good as mine......
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   Mon May 23, 2011 2:08 pm

Ubu wrote:
hmmmmmm, what about Senator Norris (R)........"known as the father of TVA".......

http://www.tva.gov/abouttva/history.htm

Just goes to show you that not all Repubs are conservative and not all demos are liberal.........

Of course that was the 1930's....today, well........your guess is as good as mine......
The two parties have been shifting policies since politics began. Nothing has any rules nay more.
Back to top Go down
Evil Genius
Sonneteer

PostSubject: Re: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   Mon May 23, 2011 2:54 pm

lmm it is not an insult to be ignorant, everyone is ignorant of something or other. The term ignorant in the phrase I use means someone who is uninformed. It's another word people have hijacked and put some label on implying someone is uneducated and a dumbard. There is nothing wrong with being ignorant. What is bad is when someone is ignorant of something and makes a decision that alters their life on that subject based on that ignorance. So don't be so thin skinned with our language Smile.

Yes buffalo, you are comfortable with the position. Every now and then in life people have to pay for decisions they make, so we are comfortable with the people of northwest Alabama suffering if they learn something from it, which they probably won't, they never do.

People under the age of probably 50 have no idea of the history of the Muscle Shoals area and what the Democratic party did for us, President Roosevelt, Senators Lister Hill, and John Sparkman, they just seem to be drawn to information of the liberal extreme of today's party. The Republicans fought TVA tooth and nail until it was finally semi privatezed. We would still be barefoot and with dirt floors if it was up to the Republicans of the time. Clinton is more the model that southern democrats should follow, other than his personal problems.

As far as the party label comment, I was a Republican until the southern uneducated christian cooalition started influencing the party in a bad way in my opinion. I guess if I lived in New England I probably would still be a Republican. I long for the party of the Rockefeller wing, and the Goldwater libertarian Republicans. I just don't fancy today's party of greed, fear ,and hate based on southern religious ferver and their antiquated thinking along with their manipulation by corporations and the extreme rich.
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   Mon May 23, 2011 3:04 pm

EV, do I detect a note of animosity?
Back to top Go down
Evil Genius
Sonneteer

PostSubject: Re: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   Mon May 23, 2011 3:52 pm

leo, there is no way I can possibly know what you detect. What do you mean? Are your feelings hurt because you disagree with me?
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   Mon May 23, 2011 4:09 pm

EG, you are very direct; this can be taken as anger. Southerners, accustomed to a more careful mannerly approach, are sometimes taken aback by blunt and direct. I do agree with most of what you say. You should know that's due to my Southern religious fervor. Sometimes we are not what you may think we are. Smile
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   Mon May 23, 2011 4:29 pm

Evil Genius wrote:
lmm it is not an insult to be ignorant, everyone is ignorant of something or other. The term ignorant in the phrase I use means someone who is uninformed. It's another word people have hijacked and put some label on implying someone is uneducated and a dumbard. There is nothing wrong with being ignorant. What is bad is when someone is ignorant of something and makes a decision that alters their life on that subject based on that ignorance. So don't be so thin skinned with our language Smile.
Thin-skinned? LOL. If you knew me better (or maybe you do in another world with another name Smile), you would know my remark was very mild. To lump all people into a category based on voting practices, religious preference, or who they pick in football is the most blatant form of ignorance, don't you think?
You seem to write off the entire South, yet you live here. Now why would an intelligent thoughtful democrat do that? Giggle

You seem to think that if some one votes republican after they picked who best represented their ideas and values, that they must be uninformed. What you are really saying is that you don't care for the republican ideas, can't understand why someone would and that all things good came from democrats.

That can be debated for years with thousands of examples of good and bad from both sides. Let's just say that you see the world one way and I another. At times, both parties have shown their brilliance and their idiocy.

The best approach is to follow Mark Twain's logic.

Politicians and babies need to be changed often and for the same reason. cheers
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   Mon May 23, 2011 5:01 pm

LOL, I don't mind "blunt and direct".

But I am just a little confused on some of the comments. Plenty of Repubs voted for TVA or it would not have passed in 1933. Norris being the prime example. Of course he later became an Independent which is a whole "nother" story. I don't disagree with you at all that the Repubs have fought TVA, but TVA needs a watchdog, as does any government agency.

Hill was a co-sponser of the TVA act, but Sparkman was not elected until 1936. Three years after the TVA Act was passed. Their claim to fame would be more centered around bringing Reynolds here in 1941. Granted they did a lot of good for our area, but we cannot forget they also signed the "Southern Manifesto". A product of their times I know, but.........................................

The Airport dilemma is a national one, not one to be decided by the State Legislature. I have mixed feelings on that issue. As a GA pilot I want the airport to be a thriving hub. Yet, in these difficult times that we face can we really justify the monies to keep air service in place when Huntsville is an hour's drive away with, generally, cheaper fares??????

BUT............................all of that is not the point of EG's post. Sorry EG, but I'm under 50 (LOL barely) and that history comment............ Razz

The point of EG's post is pure and simple. You voted for the dumbazzes so don't be surprised, or whine and moan, when they act like the dumbazzes they are (which you should have known when you voted if you weren't ignorant) after they take office. He's (she?) right.....people vote based on a 15 second sound bite or by the recommendation of someone they "respect". They do not take the time to research the candidate and see what their, shall we say, "actions" are.

What was it Mr. Biddle of WOWL fame always urged us to do? "Be a good American, Be an INFORMED American".

The only part that I would really have to disagree with you on is voting party lines. There is good and bad on both sides of the "Aisle". We could sit here for days and argue over which party has done the most good for our area and never reach an understanding. Just because someone is a demo or repub should not give them a "free pass". Research the candidate and vote accordingly. Don't pull a lever just so you can say "I voted".

Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   Mon May 23, 2011 6:22 pm

Evil Genius wrote:
leo, there is no way I can possibly know what you detect. What do you mean? Are your feelings hurt because you disagree with me?

You are assuming. I never said I disagree with you I don't. What do I mean? I mean do I detect a note of animosity. It means are you upset, mad , angry, bitter. No my feelings are not hurt. I don't put myself in the class of people you were trying to offend. Keep trying though you'll get there I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   Mon May 23, 2011 6:39 pm

Evil Genius wrote:

Yes buffalo, you are comfortable with the position. Every now and then in life people have to pay for decisions they make, so we are comfortable with the people of northwest Alabama suffering if they learn something from it, which they probably won't, they never do.

People under the age of probably 50 have no idea of the history of the Muscle Shoals area and what the Democratic party did for us, President Roosevelt, Senators Lister Hill, and John Sparkman, they just seem to be drawn to information of the liberal extreme of today's party. The Republicans fought TVA tooth and nail until it was finally semi privatezed. We would still be barefoot and with dirt floors if it was up to the Republicans of the time. Clinton is more the model that southern democrats should follow, other than his personal problems.

As far as the party label comment, I was a Republican until the southern uneducated christian cooalition started influencing the party in a bad way in my opinion. I guess if I lived in New England I probably would still be a Republican. I long for the party of the Rockefeller wing, and the Goldwater libertarian Republicans. I just don't fancy today's party of greed, fear ,and hate based on southern religious ferver and their antiquated thinking along with their manipulation by corporations and the extreme rich.
Ok I’m ok now that I know my position.
One other question; I don’t have anything against rich people do I?
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   Mon May 23, 2011 7:01 pm

Evil Genius?, I am not so ignorant that I can't look in a dictionary or thesaurus for the verification of a word. I, after three attempts, tried to find the word dumbard. My research leads me to ASSUME the word is non-existent. This would lead me to the conclusion that perhaps you committed a typo when you were trying to spell dullard, but on farther review I realized this was highly improbable. All things considered I am forced to ASSUME that you are ignorant of the English language. No insult intended. There is no shame being ignorant. It just means you don't know what you are talking about. Please get back to me and tell me how I feel about that.
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   Mon May 23, 2011 9:03 pm

What?............Was it sumpin I said?
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   Mon May 23, 2011 9:05 pm

Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle
Monkey Dance Monkey
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   Mon May 23, 2011 9:11 pm

WOOF WOOOF!!!!woof woof. Dwarf Sherlock
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   Mon May 23, 2011 9:19 pm

Dadgum....that dang dawg dun went and treed 'em one. Getcha smooth bore assassin and fetch 'em back. I'll skin 'em out fur ye'.

Bubba
Back to top Go down
Firenze
Odist

PostSubject: Re: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   Tue May 24, 2011 1:34 am

I'm not sure if Dino has joined yet, but everyone needs to read her great commentary:

http://dinosdeliberations.blogspot.com/2011/05/my-thoughts-on-redistricting-committees.html
Back to top Go down
http://pen-n-sword.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Redistricting plan splits Shoals   

Back to top Go down

Redistricting plan splits Shoals
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next