Share | 

Anti-Virus programs?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Anti-Virus programs?   Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:31 pm

I have been paying for trend micro but I may go back to AVG. Any ideas from any geeks here? Giggle

Article:
Do You Really Need to Pay for Anti-Virus Software?
John R. Quain, SecurityNewsDaily Contributor
Date: 16 June 2011 Time: 11:34 AM ET

It's a free world out there. Free maps, free navigation, free calls on the Internet, free email, free apps for smartphones – but should you trust your digital security to a free program?

For Windows users, some measure of security is needed on every computer. Malware, botnets, keyloggers and viruses are daily nuisances and constant threats.

Anti-virus software companies have certainly profited from this fact, but there are also plenty of free options, including free basic programs from the same developers that also offer for-pay packages.

On the free side are some solid and reputable anti-virus programs for Windows machines. Avast Free Antivirus, Avira AntiVir Personal, AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition, BitDefender Free Edition and Norman Malware Cleaner 2.1 are just a few.

The same, but different

In terms of basic performance in catching infections, anecdotal testing shows that the free and for-pay products were about the same. Some were faster than others, but more expensive software wasn't as a rule faster than the free options.

The only noticeable difference between the gratis and the paid programs was when it came to detecting some new threats, such as a website laced with newly created malware. Paid products, with their more elaborate system behavior monitors, are more likely to pick those up and to warn you about other possible dangers.

Some users have complained about seeing more false warnings from free programs. There's a work- around for this, also free.

http://www.livescience.com/14627-free-anti-virus-software.html
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Virus programs?   Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:14 pm

I don't like AVG personally. I use the Norton that Comcast provides and have been very pleased with it.
Back to top Go down

Anti-Virus programs?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1