Share | 

Jon Stewart

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Jon Stewart   Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:36 am

Stewart with Chris Wallace. It was quite good.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1007046245001/exclusive-jon-stewart-on-fox-news-sunday/?intcmp=obnetwork
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Jon Stewart   Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:58 am

Still listening in the background...20 minutes in, but I'll go ahead and comment while I listen to the end. Smile

It is really good. Chris Wallace must miss the shows where Stewart gives liberals a hard time, including Obama. I also agree that Stewart is a comedian first...he has unlimited material in politics and media...he watches, sees the joke, knows it's a winner & adds it to the script.

Chris mentions the Fox slogan 'fair and balanced', yet also admits that they present the other side...sorry, can't have it both ways. Please stop using that fair and balanced thing...your own words say that is not true. They ARE biased and frankly, it works for them. I don't fault them for going for it and being greatly successful at it. However, don't expect us to swallow that Fox is fair and balanced when by your own words you say you are biased or presenting the other side.

I am glad that they at least came closer to understanding each others viewpoint. At least, I think Stewart did, because he compared and contrasted their views very well. I think possibly Wallace was getting there, but he seemed more resistant to see where Stewart is coming from.

Sorry, I keep adding to my post, but I finished listening. So I had more to say. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Jon Stewart   Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:49 am

I doubt there is any news organization that is not biased. Fox leans right, most others lean left.
As for Beck and Hannity, Stewart missed that they are not reporters, just like the counterparts, Maddow and Olberman.

I guess Chris could say they balance out the other views, but it's all BS.

The funny part is Beck was on CNN for a long time and never made the news even though he still said the same things. As soon as he joins the EVIL FOX, he's crazy. LOL

He was crazy to start with. Razz

Same with Lou Dobbs, he was fine until he questioned Obama, then he's canned. Not exactly fair on that one CNN.

If any reporter starts with "Did ya see this?" they are not a reporter. Suspect
Back to top Go down
The Nagel
Odist

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Jon Stewart   Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:28 pm

i think one ofthe things Jon was trying to say that Chris never understood....is that while yeah, the other news channels to Lean to the left, Fox lays flat to the right, and pushes.Shotgun

yes, CNN will ignore something good that a replublican did or said, but fox will hunt down something a liberal said, take that one soundbyte out of context, and spin it like a carnival ride.
fox news has an active agenda to defame and discredit the liberals, while CNN uses a passive agenda to just not bring up positive things about conservatives/republicans, and only report the spectacularly stupid.

sadly, today, they don't have to look very far. michelle bachman? for president? seriously?doh
god, i'd rather vote for Sarah. at least she's just a little out of touch and a little whacko, bachman is truly insane. she's glenn beck with boobs.Crazy

i loved the interview, especially where Jon got a little hot under the collar trying to beat the truth past the shield of BS Fox places around all of thier staff.
i also loved the look on Chris's face when Jon told him.. " you're insane! "
it's entertaining to see someone so knocked out of their element, in their own setting, that they don't know how to cope for a second.

i wish chris wallace was right.. i wish Jon did have political aspirations, just so i had the chance to vote for him.Flag2 he's a better choice than anything the Dem's have to offer so far
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Jon Stewart   Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:46 pm

You don't think the other medias will spin anything done by a rep? Let's not forget that Media Matters spends all of it's time watching Fox 24/7. If a host so much as burps, it's front page news.

It easy to see how we all think our side is the only right one, because that is the one we agree with so obviously it must be right. LOL

And we don't see bias on our own side, just the other. That is the point Stewart never got. He doesn't see the bias of his side, just the other.

As for his comment of Fox has "the most consistently misinformed media viewers....Consistently -- every poll", that was a lie, but he likes it. LOL
That hit a few nerves:

Jon Stewart Slams Fox Viewers as Most Misinformed, But He's the Ignorant One

By Rich Noyes | June 20, 2011 | 15:56

In his June 19 appearance on Fox News Sunday, Comedy Central's Daily Show host Jon Stewart fiercely denounced the Fox News Channel as uniquely biased, and slammed those who watch Fox News as "the most consistently misinformed media viewers....Consistently -- every poll."

Unfortunately for Stewart, he was relying on a methodologically-flawed survey from the University of Maryland's Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA) that in December trumpeted how "those who watched Fox News almost daily were significantly more likely than those who never watched it to believe...." and then listed a series of supposedly false statements.

But many of the study's supposedly false statements of fact were actually opinions that liberals don't share.

For example, Fox News viewers were most likely to believe that "most economists have estimated the health care law will worsen the deficit" and that "the economy is getting worse." Agreeing with those statements got you branded as "misinformed" based on the authority of a) the Congressional Budget Office on ObamaCare's impact on the deficit, and b) the Bureau of Economic Analysis declaring that the recession officially ended in June 2009.

As anyone who closely followed the health care debate understood, the nonpartisan CBO was required to accept the budgetary assumptions of the partisan Democrats who crafted the ObamaCare bill, so it's hardly a sign of ignorance to believe the bill will drain the Treasury like every other big entitlement program in the past 75 years.

As for feeling that the economy is still getting worse, public confidence is usually one of the last indicators to turn positive after a recession. After the 1990 recession officially ended, huge majorities of the public in late 1991 and in 1992 still told pollsters that they felt the U.S. was in either a "recession" or a "depression" -- "misinformation" that must have been spread without the Fox News Channel, which was not established until 1996.

As for Stewart's "every poll" claim, that's not true, either -- other surveys have used less prejudiced questions to try to test the public's knowledge, and rate Fox News viewers as among the most informed. In 2008, the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press asked respondents to identify which party held the majority in the House of Representatives, the Prime Minister of Britain, and the current Secretary of State. Unlike the PIPA study, these were genuinely fact-based questions without ideological baggage.

Just under a fifth of those polled (18%) could answer all three questions, while a third (33%) couldn't answer any of them. But among those who exceeded the national average were viewers of FNC's Hannity & Colmes and The O'Reilly Factor -- as well as viewers of Stewart's The Daily Show and Comedy Central's The Colbert Report.

At the bottom of the list: regular consumers of CBS News, Access Hollywood, and the National Enquirer.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/rich-noyes/2011/06/20/jon-stewart-slams-fox-viewers-most-misinformed-hes-ignorant-one#ixzz1PxPKOpML
Back to top Go down
The Nagel
Odist

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Jon Stewart   Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:51 pm

lmm wrote:
You don't think the other medias will spin anything done by a rep? Let's not forget that Media Matters spends all of it's time watching Fox 24/7. If a host so much as burps, it's front page news.

It easy to see how we all think our side is the only right one, because that is the one we agree with so obviously it must be right. LOL

And we don't see bias on our own side, just the other. That is the point Stewart never got. He doesn't see the bias of his side, just the other.

As for his comment of Fox has "the most consistently misinformed media viewers....Consistently -- every poll", that was a lie, but he likes it. LOL
That hit a few nerves:

yeah.. of course it hit nerves. it's kinda hard to take, being drug onto the mat by a comedian, and lose. you'll never get a an avid member of either extreme to stand still and take a harsh critique, especially when it's accurate.
see, i don't care how many nerves it hit..

i have watched fox... i've watch cnn.. and msnbc and regular evening news all across the alphabet. from what i've witnessed, i stand behind what i said earlier and what jon said.

yes, the liberal side of the news media will spin just as hard as the right wingers....
but the liberal side takes what lands in their laps and runs with it... fox news hunts down minutia and spins that.

this isn't an absolout rule, but instead the general pattern... sure, sometimes CNN will dig up something a few years old and trying to inflame people about a certain person, and sometimes fox news will just report on something they caught on the AP wire.

for the record i don't watch any of them anymore... i got tired of trying to figure out the truth by trying to unspin what the news media.

there's no such thing as fair and balanced news anymore.... on ANY channel. but like jon said, it's all because it's the outragous sensationalism that catches viewers - not the stuff that's just reported as is.

i also don't care if that one line tures out to have been untrue... because one false line when stacked up against the hundred true ones just isn't significant.

as far as the news media is concerned.. i AM unbiased.... or at least equally biased against all of them.
i think they all need to be shut down and revamped...
but until then, it's my belief that fox actively pushes a conservative agenda, when when it's necessary to sacrifice integrity and credability, where CNN will push a liberal agenda, but not by sacrificing integrity and credibility.

it seems like CNN knows that no matter who is in office, there will always be a tomorrow, while fox is hell-bent on cramming what they want us to believe into our face like tomorrow wasn't going to happen.

to be fair.... when i want info on the war, i check fox news. cnn doesn't do war news except to tell us how awful it is and how all the troops need to come home... well, then did until obama took over.
if i wanna see what congress has been up to lately, i check cnn because fox dosen't cover anything except the great things the gop is trying to do and how the horrible dems are trying to block truth justice and the american way.

but mostly i don't bother with any of it anymore... it's all crap.
Back to top Go down
The Nagel
Odist

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Jon Stewart   Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:17 pm

just an update....

watching the daily show and he pointed out that the error you pointed out was infact incorrect, he gave info on the whole report, and apologized for delivering false information.

so.. like i said.. scratch that one line, i'll still stand by the stack of things he said that were true.
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Jon Stewart   Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:54 pm

I'm glad he retracted. He makes him a better person.

I don't see Fox the way you do. But I guess you may have forgotten how all the other networks did a report on Bush every day, picking at anything. Even making fun of the guy choking.

So, going back to the original point, we each see what we want to see and don't see the bad in our own view.

As for war coverage, MSNBC did a daily dead count when Bush was in office. It stopped with Obama. Bush was harassed for not showing the coffins arriving home on planes. Obama doesn't show them either. Bush was forced to stop playing golf because of the media coverage saying it was in poor taste while people were dying, Obama still plays most Saturdays.
Bush was harassed for working trips to Camp David. Obama takes his family on 'business' meetings to foreign countries where they site see.

It's all from your own point of view. If you like the guy, it's OK. If you don't, he's a scum bag.

Such is politics.
Back to top Go down
The Nagel
Odist

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Jon Stewart   Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:18 am

except they are all scum bags.

no.. i remember.. and i also rememeber that fox spent hours a day talking about how great bush was and how the people at cnn et al were nazi's for tryign to paint him in a bad light.

and now that O has the hot seat, fox spends every waking minute trying to find somethign to discredit him, from ' the indoctrination of grade schoolers' to being born in kenya.

it's all just silly crap anymore. unless somethign HUGE is going on, neither fox nor cnn is any more news than dr. phil or ellen. if there IS somethign huge going on, it's all going to be live video feeds so which one you watch doesn't really matter.

if i gave the impression i prefered one to another, i apologize. i don't liek any of them, i think they are all dishonest and agenda driven, biased and spin faster than edward r murrows corpse, i juts think fox is more dishonest than the others.

it's like getting shot.... a .32 is worse than a .25, but they both still suck.
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Jon Stewart   Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:13 am

I agree that they would all sell their Grandmother's house right out from under her for a story and that they all insert their own liberal or conservative bias into news stories. I just get tired of Fox being touted as fair and balanced, also the one Christians I know trust above others, when FOX admits themselves that they do not report BOTH sides, but what is referred to as the OTHER side. Neither side is the truth because they exaggerate and insert their bias to the point it only vaguely resembles the actual facts. My only problem is their slogan, which is a lie IMO. Fair and balanced would require you to present both sides, not just what they refer to as the other side.

It's possible it touches a nerve as well, how I'm feeling about the condition of the church right now. Whistle Smile

I don't always agree with John Stewart, but the whole reason I like him, other than his show being hilarious, is that he'll shoot down a liberal just like he will a conservative. He uses comedy to bottom line that thing & many times highlight what we already know, but because of our own bias, don't want to admit.

JMHO
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Jon Stewart   Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:14 am

I agree with you both. There is no unbiased news reporting, from any one. Even the AP will have a story with comments like 'he here goes again' or 'the last time we saw this was'.

News is: The house is on fire.

Spin News: The house belonging to a _______________scumbag caught on fire last night probably because said scumbag was doing ________________with an under-aged teenager but we have no proof but last year he did ____________and was caught and convicted for 3 months and then it was found that he also _______________his grandmother.
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Jon Stewart   Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:25 am

lol! Very true, lmm! lol!
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Jon Stewart   Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:34 am

http://www.quotegarden.com/media.html

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers. ~Thomas Jefferson

If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event... what kind of film would you use? ~Author Unknown

If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read: "President Can't Swim." ~Lyndon B. Johnson
Back to top Go down
The Nagel
Odist

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Jon Stewart   Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:03 pm

the bit from last night where jon admitted the remark was incorrect.... i missed part of it because i was typing here Smile

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-june-21-2011/fox-news-false-statements
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Jon Stewart   Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:11 pm

Politifact seems to be good at covering every one. I like going to the site and seeing the "Pants on Fire" comments.
Back to top Go down
The Propagandist
Sonneteer

Virgo

PostSubject: Re: Jon Stewart   Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:52 pm

If anyone hasn't actually seen Jon Stewart's "retraction," you might want to take a look at it:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-june-21-2011/fox-news-false-statements

In the false statement department, he says Fox has a lot of retracting to do.
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Jon Stewart   Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:40 pm

A lot of those statements are not made by reporters. I think that is what many people don't get. The news reported and the commentary on the news are not the same thing.
As with Maddow and Matthews on MSNBC. Or Morning Joe. Or any other pundit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jon Stewart   

Back to top Go down

Jon Stewart
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1