Facebook.com

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Facebook.com   Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:44 am

I love FB. I stay connected with a lot of my relatives and former classmates that live out of town. Not to mention the fun I have with my "status updates".

How does everybody else feel about Facebook?

Ohhhhhhh.......Puf, that strange request that you have is ole trouble maker Ubu........

Last edited by Ubu on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sometimes I just go too far........)
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Facebook.com   Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:04 pm

Like most things, it can be both good and bad. I have several types of FB friends...

* There are the ones who use it to share inspirational or funny thoughts to think on...love that of course.

* I have family and friends who I love keeping up with, seeing pictures of their kids, knowing they are well & that I can talk to them whenever I want or need.

* The ones who aren't just addicted to FB games but send you 5 million requests and fill up your wall with game antics. I found a way to block all of that now...YAY...but at one time it was really annoying.

* I also quickly found the "offline" option on chat as one of my FB friends (who I BARELY know btw) decided anytime I peeped in was chat time and by chat I mean long conversations...this person apparently has FB attached to his hip.

* I also have people I know well 'hidden' on my wall because their posts shock the crap out of me and cause me to worry for anyone in their care...I left FB for some time due to those.

* I also have people, mostly old schoolmates, who were not nuts when I knew them, but have clearly grown into certifiably insane since. Y'all know I love Jesus, but there's one lady who posts spiritual pics and messages nonstop & she has two small children! I'm thinking 'girl, have you checked on the kids lately?".

* Then there are the FB friends who feel we want to know every single detail of their life...they leave out trips to the bathroom, but it would not surprise me if they included those as well. Some of those I had to hide on my wall because I don't have time to sift through that silly "look at me" stuff to find pictures of my grandson. Very Happy

Oh yeah...who else is weirded out by people who friend you, but don't actually know you...like perhaps you are from the same hometown or county but have never spoken or seen each other in person in your life that you know of or they know someone on your friend's list but don't actually know you? Why in the world would they want their wall clogged up with someone's stuff who they don't know from Adam? Odd.

Last edited by Joy on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Facebook.com   Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:08 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean.....excuse me I'll be right back.....I have to go pee

Okay I feel better now....

Giggle
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Facebook.com   Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:13 pm

Crackingup
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Facebook.com   Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:19 pm

i would like to say "I can't believe I posted that" but considering that I have been laughing hysterically ever since..............

Whistle
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Facebook.com   Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:30 pm

HAHA! No, I would not be surprised to see exactly that post on FB. There's one lady who I swear, if I were a thief, I could rob the woman blind...I can turn on FB at any time and tell you the exact location of anyone living in her home and what they are doing.
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Facebook.com   Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:40 pm

Don't do facebook. For most of the reasons already listed and that I waste enough time on a computer as is. Giggle Razz Laughing Giggle
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Facebook.com   Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:43 pm

Yeah, I did the whole checkin in thing for a while.....until I went.....uhhhhhhh wait a minute!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
The Nagel
Odist

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Facebook.com   Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:27 pm

i do facebook, mostly because i have family and friends who are far far away.... from nashville to florida to houston to michigan.. and it's nice to be able to drop a quick note without anythign as formal as a phone call.. just a ' hey.. how's things? miss you guys'....

a have a someone on my friends list that seem to be unable to make even a little post without makeing sure everyone on their friends list knows how awsome they think god is. even to the point of bringing jesus into it when they are talking abotu their washing machine having broken.

a little unnecessary, i feel, so i have their posts hidden.. but i left them on my friends because i acctually DO know them. i don't care if someone believes... but when they can't type a 2 sentance post without making it a 4 sentance post to make sure they bring us jesus and/or god, it gets seriously old seriously fast. i don't need to be a witness to their outspoken piety.
( seriously... " my washer just quit working and they can't come fix it until monday. but i know jesus will take care of me, because jesus and god his father love all of us, amen." am i wrong for thinking that's just a little to much? and she does it with every post. )

and yeah, it is a little creep that people i've never heard of sends me a friends invite. just a couple days ago i got one from some chick in wyoming. i don't even know anyone who's BEEN to wyoming, why would i want you on my friends list?
my policy is, if i don't know you in real life, or through frequient contact in the virtual world ( mmorpgs, forums, etc) then you aren't going on my friends list.

one of my daughters little 13 year old girlie friends sent me a friends invite... with a note that said ' i'm a friend of your daughters, she talks abotu how much fun and how weird you are so i thought we could be friends'.

i told her she was sweet, and i am a lot of fun and i am weird, but not so weird to put 13 year old girls that i'm not related to on my FB list, because that looks a little creepy. i may be weird but i'm not creepy. but thanks for the sweet thought.

mostly i use it to keep track of things.. like where metallica is playing.. when joss stone's new cd is coming out, where gabriel iglasies ( fluffy) is going on his tour, playboy and victoria's secret updates, what denis leary thinks about things...

but mostly, i'm on it to keep track of the aforementioned 13 year old daughter.

i trust her, completely.... but i don't necessarily trust the people around her, ya know?
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Facebook.com   Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:02 pm

Quote :
but mostly, i'm on it to keep track of the aforementioned 13 year old daughter.

i trust her, completely.... but i don't necessarily trust the people around her, ya know?

you nailed it right there brother!

and yeah I get these weird requests too, "Hi, I'm new to Florence (sure, I bet you are in Florence) and I saw your profile and you look like a really fun guy (if you only knew-but that's not me in the picture) and I am so in NEEEEEEEED (sure wink wink) of meeting a new guy that I can have fun with (yeah I know what kind of fun you are looking for-----you want my credit card number right) so friend me and we'll have some fun together (yeah right baby, but keeping sending those requests, those fake pictures you pulled off the internet and posted as yours are WOWWWWW)"

But I have coached sooooooooo many kids over the years and I get requests from them. I enjoy keeping in touch with all of them, but I make sure their parents know first........of course most of them are getting OLD now.....Funny how that happened they all got older and I stayed the same......go figure! Razz

I got a request from someone in Nashville last year and didn't know her at all so I ignored her. Finally a friend connected us and told me that it was a girl that I went to school with and who disappeared when we were juniors. Her posts were very disjointed to say the least. I had started to think she was stalking me because she replied to EVERYTHING I posted. Come to find out she grew up in an abusive foster home (we never knew) and ran off and married an abusive jerk who beat her and the kids.......she is now in a safe place and is recovering, but it is a struggle for her and they keep messing with her meds. Her contact with the outside world is FB. According to a friend that lives in Nashville and gets to visit her, she has latched onto me and another classmate because we make her laugh........I was on the verge of defriending her when I found all of this out.........talk about a wake up call........
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Facebook.com   Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:30 pm

That's why I just hide them rather than delete them. You never know what's going on with people. The attention hogs in my family have serious baggage they never unloaded or haven't finished unloading anyway. I figure some of those on FB have similar problems.

No, Nage, I can understand you thinking that's too much. I'm a Christian and I think it's too much. A Christian's Christianity is certainly going to come up often because it's who they are and they have no reason to change that to suit others. Still, feeling the need to mention your relationship with God in every other sentence doesn't make sense to me. I have a relationship with my husband and with my kids, but I don't feel the need to mention their names all the time. Our relationship is just as solid without me inserting their names into every circumstance...same thing with God. That doesn't mean I won't insert his name where it makes sense, but yeah, all the time is overkill and isn't going to do anything but annoy people.

JMHO
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Facebook.com   Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:39 pm

Can I get an AMEN brothers and sisters??????????????????

I have found to be the GENERAL case that people who throw out God and Jesus every five minutes are usually worried because their conscience is bothering them.

AND, I don't think God has a 1-800 number for washing machine repairs. Giggle
Back to top Go down
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: Facebook.com   Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:50 pm

Ubu wrote:
I love FB. I stay connected with a lot of my relatives and former classmates that live out of town. Not to mention the fun I have with my "status updates".

How does everybody else feel about Facebook?

Ohhhhhhh.......Puf, that strange request that you have is ole trouble maker Ubu........

Good to know! I went ahead and accepted since it showed we had several friends in common. I have a tendency to accept so i can get a better look at a profile and statements, then delete if i don't approve. You passed....lol.

I'm a big fb user. Being housebound and isolated with my son as much as i am, and i rarely date, fb is a very large part of my social life. I like reconnecting with people from years ago, and with family members. fb makes me feel i have someone to share things with.....i get lonely and sometimes need the connection. for the sake of my sanity.

---And it is great to see parents here that take an interest in what their children are doing and who their friends are!
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Facebook.com   Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:58 pm

Puf wrote:
. You passed....lol.

It was good for me.....glad to know it was good for you too (((wink wink))) Razz

The friends.......I was shocked at how many we had in common.........have we met and I just don't remember?

BTW......reading your wall.....you've been holding out on us......some funny stuff right there!!!!

"There’s a thin line between “I should do a status update about that” and “I should talk to a therapist about that” I loved that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hit a little close to home, but.............. Giggle
Back to top Go down
OB's Corner
Odist

PostSubject: Re: Facebook.com   Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:06 pm

I like it. I use it. I keep up with friends and family. I broadcast OB's Corner on it.
Back to top Go down
http://obscorner.blogspot.com/
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: Facebook.com   Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:08 pm

So good for me i need a nap Very Happy

I don't think we've met, if we have maybe it was pre-forums?
Some of our in common friends i've never met in person, but i saw two that are relatives. Darren Fisher is my cousin and Stewart O'bannon is my BIL, well, ex BIL. He's my son's uncle.

I like being funny and making others laugh, but i have to be very careful because my humor goes in the gutter a lot of times and i have drag it out kicking and sreaming.
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Facebook.com   Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:24 pm

Darren is a really cool guy... We've jammed together a time or two.......used to hang out on "The Strip" back in the day........You need to get out and go listen to his band "Hillybilly Delux" sometime.........

Stewart......you have my deepest sympathies......... Giggle He's the attorney for one of the boards I serve on........suffice to say "I understand"..

"my humor goes in the gutter a lot of times" ........yeah can't have that. Blue and I have sensitive ears......... Whistle

Giggle Crackingup Dance Tongue3
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: Facebook.com   Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:06 pm

HAd an account but never used it. Today i went on and got a beginneres course in facebook from a black sheep friend. right in the middle i lost internet service.

Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Facebook.com   Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:40 pm

I think you are still there........on FB that is......

Best thing to do....jump in and let 'er rip.....not a lot different than the forums......it's just that EVERYTHING is out there.......if you know what I mean....
Back to top Go down
The Nagel
Odist

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Facebook.com   Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:06 pm

Joy wrote:
That's why I just hide them rather than delete them. You never know what's going on with people. The attention hogs in my family have serious baggage they never unloaded or haven't finished unloading anyway. I figure some of those on FB have similar problems.

No, Nage, I can understand you thinking that's too much. I'm a Christian and I think it's too much. A Christian's Christianity is certainly going to come up often because it's who they are and they have no reason to change that to suit others. Still, feeling the need to mention your relationship with God in every other sentence doesn't make sense to me. I have a relationship with my husband and with my kids, but I don't feel the need to mention their names all the time. Our relationship is just as solid without me inserting their names into every circumstance...same thing with God. That doesn't mean I won't insert his name where it makes sense, but yeah, all the time is overkill and isn't going to do anything but annoy people.

JMHO

that's the way i feel about it.. if it made sense to the topic at hand.. for example something like ' storms passed us.. thanks to our father in heaven for keeping us safe, and please pray to him for those less fortunate"....

i saw a status like that a little while ago... made sense... relevent to topic.. and you don't even have to get that heavy to make it relevent... but i'm pretty sure jesus isn't gonna fix her maytag
Back to top Go down
The Nagel
Odist

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Facebook.com   Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:08 pm

lmm wrote:
Can I get an AMEN brothers and sisters??????????????????

I have found to be the GENERAL case that people who throw out God and Jesus every five minutes are usually worried because their conscience is bothering them.

AND, I don't think God has a 1-800 number for washing machine repairs. Giggle

i've found the same thing to be true... and since i went to high school with the girl in question, i know several things she might feel guilty about from her past /really evil grin
Back to top Go down
The Nagel
Odist

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Facebook.com   Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:10 pm

Bluetick wrote:
HAd an account but never used it. Today i went on and got a beginneres course in facebook from a black sheep friend. right in the middle i lost internet service.

you use comcast too?
Back to top Go down
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: Facebook.com   Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:43 pm

Ubu wrote:
Darren is a really cool guy... We've jammed together a time or two.......used to hang out on "The Strip" back in the day........You need to get out and go listen to his band "Hillybilly Delux" sometime.........

Stewart......you have my deepest sympathies......... Giggle He's the attorney for one of the boards I serve on........suffice to say "I understand"..

"my humor goes in the gutter a lot of times" ........yeah can't have that. Blue and I have sensitive ears......... Whistle

Giggle Crackingup Dance Tongue3

The strip back in "the day" was in MY day, you dang whipper snapper....lol. That was early 70's. And i would love to hear Darren play sometime. I would love to get out, period.
Stewart as Stewart isn't too bad, Stewart the attorney is a bit different. His wife and my son's "sperm donor" are brother and sister.
Sensitive ears? uhhh, yea......i believe ya' Giggle
Back to top Go down
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: Facebook.com   Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:50 pm

Bluetick wrote:

i sent a friend request.

The religion thing...you guys are right. IMO, constantly putting it out there means they're trying to cover something.
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Facebook.com   Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:06 pm

Ha Ha I started crusing in '78, I was ((((ahem))) mature for my age.......so I missed you by a day or two.....Man we had some great times out there........hate that Kids today don't have a place like that.......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Facebook.com   

Back to top Go down

Facebook.com
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next