Alabamian

A Southern Point of View

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

(In)famous 'skeletons' in your family closet?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dogsoldier0513
Sonneteer

PostSubject: (In)famous 'skeletons' in your family closet?   Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:16 am

Amongst members of my family tree are Valentine Hollingsworth, Jesse James and Jim Bowie.
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: (In)famous 'skeletons' in your family closet?   Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:45 am

I don't know dogsoldier, my family doesn't talk to each other. Giggle
Back to top Go down
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: (In)famous 'skeletons' in your family closet?   Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:18 am

My paternal grandmother was a James and she always said Jesse was in the family, but i don't know if there's any proof.
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: (In)famous 'skeletons' in your family closet?   Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:15 am

Apparently one of my ancestors (we'll call him William) confronted one of my husband's ancestors (we'll call him John) about John stealing a watch from William. William pulled a gun on John during this confrontation. John jumped out of the wagon to run and William shot John in the back. I guess he liked that watch. Shocked

My paternal bloodline came here from Sweden, first physician in Delaware. He made several trips from Sweden to Delaware & was paid for his services. On his last trip, more than 70 colonists, including women & children set out from Sweden. During the voyage, they were shipwrecked, but made it to a nearby island (approx. 13 miles) by lifeboats. No water could be found and they had to lick stones for moisture. Spanish pirates arrived. Swedes surrendered for food/water. The pirates then took what they wanted from them and their wrecked vessel. The pirates took them to Puerto Rico, landed and all the Swede's books were burned. The Swedes finally found means to leave the island, trying to reach St. Cruz to board a Dutch ship for New or Old Sweden. Near the island, the French overtook them, raped, tortured and/or killed most of them. Of the original 70 colonists who set out from Sweden, only 19 ever saw their native land again. My ancestor was obviously one of them. He made it safely back to Delaware and wisely settled there for good.

I have another ancestor who is described by a certain Whig leader in 1780 as being "as vile a Tory as ever lived". Razz

Last edited by Joy on Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: (In)famous 'skeletons' in your family closet?   

Back to top Go down

(In)famous 'skeletons' in your family closet?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1