Alabamian

A Southern Point of View

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...   Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:39 pm

I am about to sick up, but I don't see what other choice I have. My cat has been well for a while now. He began urinating on the carpet when he was not well, but I can't get him to stop. We've had the carpet cleaned twice in the family room where he was urinating and covered that area with a rug. We moved his litter box to our empty spare bedroom after cleaning the carpet in case he didn't stop; he has now destroyed that room's carpet. I've tried getting a new litter box. I've tried moving him to the litter box when I catch him trying to pee on the carpet. I've tried spraying him with the water bottle when I catch him & then moving him to the litter box. I've tried praising him, giving him a treat after he's gone in the litter box. We've pretty much tried everything. Needless to say, the husband was ready to get rid of him the first time we had the carpet cleaned. His front paws are de-clawed; so letting him outside isn't an option. We cannot afford to change the flooring. I can't get anyone to take him because who would want a cat that won't use the litter box? I love my cat, but I'm out of options. His vet is at Smith Animal Hospital and they said they would put him down, that it's fairly common in situations like ours, which somehow just makes me more sad. I regret trying to keep an inside pet now.

What would y'all do?
Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...   Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Found this:

"I am very much against declawing and this is one of the reasons:

Declawing can occasionally leave tiny bone fragments within the paw. When one of these fragments moves around, it might begin to get sore or even infected. When the cat begins to scratch in the litter box, they feel pain...if they feel the pain every time they scratch in the box, they begin to associate the box with pain.

To test and see if this could be the issue, we would tear up newspaper into small (ticker tape) shreds and place in the box (something soft for them to scratch on). Most of the declawed cats preferred this soft material. "
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

AND THIS:

"My sister had trouble with her neutered male cat for years...was told it was behavioral problem...her vet tried everything.
One trip to my vet and a Depo provera shot later....wha-la!

The cat was old at this point, but she did get to have a few months of peace with no peeing. "

Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...   Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:24 pm

Okay, I've been surfing all over since you posted this and I see reoccuring themes.....

one is UTI....which I think you have already addressed.

two is build up of crystals in the urinary tract from dry cat food........article after article claim there is a high ash content in dry cat food and leads to the crystals.......

third is disruption of routine/habits causing the cat to suffer anxiety...............so the question is did this problem manifest itself when daughter and gandson came home or did it start before that????? If so.......All comments seem to indicate that your cat needs reassuring, a lot of petting and attention...........

Hope this helps in some small way
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...   Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:56 pm

I don't have any answers Joy, but I do hope you can find a solution. I had a dog euthanized over 25 years ago and it still haunts me today. It was probably the right thing for him, but for me it still hurts. He was the best dog that ever lived..............ever.......................................ever. And yes I have tears now. every time I think of him I cry. It hurts just like it did the day he left.
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...   Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:00 pm

I'm not a good one to ask because I can't stand to put one down.

I think Ubu is on the right track with the upset routine, but since you now have a baby crawling on the floor, you don't want cat pee on it.
I would guess Kato feels the baby took his place, and after being sick and getting all that care, he feels left out.

I have one that pees on top of the washer every few weeks. We always have to clean it out and rewash everything, but I still have the cat.

Before you put him down, leave his name on the vet's adoption page.
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...   Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:03 pm

This has been going on for months & his pee cleared up almost a month ago...baby has only been here a week and yeah, we've had to barricade that room off with a small chest so the grandson doesn't step in pee.

When it started, his pee was red with the UTI (urinary tract infection). So it was that he associated the litter box with pain. About a week after his pee was clear, we got a new litter box, but that didn't work either. Now he uses both the litter box and the carpet.

He was neutered a little under three years ago and de-clawed a couple of months later, Ubu, after he shredded my new leather sofa and chair. If either had been done recently, that would have been a possibility though. We tried the spray stuff that's supposed to keep them off the furniture and spraying with the water bottle and it didn't phase him; he'd just do it when we weren't looking. I guess that should have been my first clue that he's a little on the stubborn side.
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...   Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:48 pm

lmm, I don't see that on Smith's website. Did you mean there is an adoption page at their office? I'd have to be upfront about the peeing thing. Do you think anybody would take him? Maybe if they didn't have carpet? He's never peed on laminate floors, just on the carpet. So he'd just use the litter box if there were no carpet.

He's very playful, can play fetch like a dog - brings it right back to you and drops it at your feet, and very loving - loves to curl up in your lap, especially if your feet are propped on the coffee table or ottoman where he can stretch out. He purrs up a storm first thing in the morning when you wake up and when you pick him up after returning home from somewhere. He'll also kill anything unwanted that makes it's way into the house, a great mouser and bug/spider killer. He's the perfect cat if you don't have carpet.
Back to top Go down
unclegus
Balladeer

Scorpio

PostSubject: Re: When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...   Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:25 am

I know this is a terrible decision to have to make Joy, I have no answers for you, but at least know that I feel your pain.
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...   Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:58 am

There's your answer.......

" He's never peed on laminate floors, just on the carpet. So he'd just use the litter box if there were no carpet."

Get rid of the carpet..........
Clap

Drastic I know, but I highly recommend getting rid of the carpet anyway.......we have been replacing the carpet in our home over the last few years with hardwood floors and it's made a difference in keeping the house clean........two more to go!
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...   Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:23 am

I can't afford to replace the flooring, Ubu. Our business recently tanked and my husband is still in the beginning stages with his new job (car/home insurance). We were extremely blessed to just hold on to what we have. There are no funds for new flooring. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could afford it though.

I wonder if anyone would redo the flooring on a payment plan? The payments would have to be miniscule. I rather doubt it.

Thanks, unc, and everybody. I know y'all are all animal lovers and understand.
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...   Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:22 am

Joy,
Most vets have an adoption page at their business or can usually help you find a home for an animal. I was thinking about the carpet as well, no matter how many times its cleaned, Kato would still know it was his 'spot'.

If you have time, call the different vets and ask about adoption. There is always PAWS, FV knows who to contact. Try sending her a message.
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...   Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:34 am

ECPet Care

Two possible causes of cat soiling

Becky E. Marks, D.V.M.

Timberland Animal Clinic

Doc, I am going to get rid of this cat if he doesn't stop peeing everywhere!

I have heard this complaint so very often. The leading reason for
people getting rid of their cats is due to marking or urination in
the wrong places. The problem must be diagnosed to determine whether
it is medical or behavioral.

Medical problems affecting the urinary tract in cats will force them
to change their habits. Cats that are normally litter trained may
urinate on the floor right before your eyes or in other obvious places
such as your shoe or pillow. This is their cry for help. Rather
brilliant on their part to bring the problem to your attention. A
urinalysis (urine tests) will diagnose a bladder infection or feline
lower urinary tract disease (F.L.U.T.D.). Medical treatment resolves
the problem. If the urinalysis is normal than you have behavioral
urination problems.

Behavioral urination provokes cats to mark. Most cats mark with the
tail straight up and a horizontal spray of small amounts of urine
out the back end will leave their scent. Male and female cats mark.
Unneutered males mark the most but females in the peak of their breeding
cycle mark as well. Reasons for marking include sexual, territorial
and competitive interactions between cats. If your cat is totally
an indoor pet they will still know if a new tom cat or a breeding
female is prowling outside the window. This is even more frustrating
for an indoor cat. Indoor marking of doorways, windows, furniture
and clothing are acceptable items for your cat. Of course, this is
not acceptable to humans because the odor is so offensive.

Aggressive behavior in cats I believe is the most offensive. This
is a situation you will take personally. Your cat is unhappy and
is selecting the individual in the household who is making him/her
unhappy. Perhaps the threat is a new partner, newborn baby or another
cat in the household. This is not a common behavioral problem. An
analysis of the urine and the environmental conditions are of utmost
importance to make an accurate diagnosis.

Treatments for marking include cleaning with a neutralizing product
and usually use of oral medications to control anxiety. A wonderful
new product contains pheromones that cats release when they are happy.
If sprayed where previous urinating has occurred the cats will not
mark. They don't want to spray in happy places. It also works with
aggression problems.

Whether medical or behavioral most problems can be resolved. There
is a reason for their complex actions. Give your feline friend a
second chance. EC

Dr. Becky Marks is co-owner of Timberland Animal Clinic. 17641 SE

Stark. Phone: 255-8766
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...   Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:34 pm

I love Smith Animal Hospital. I took Kato today and the vet said that other than Kato's issues (mental, not physical) that he was extremely healthy and a great-looking cat. So he felt sure he could find Kato a home. He said that with high strung personalities like Kato's that sometimes antidepressants will take care of the mental stuff & he will be doing that as well.

I completely embarrassed myself, btw. I thought I could hold it together to tell them about Kato, but I couldn't stop crying. I really do love Kato. I know he's a cat, not a human, but I don't care. He is precious to me. Then when the vet told me his verdict and what he had in mind, I couldn't stop crying again from thankfulness and relief. Then I sat in the car and cried a while before I left because I will miss Kato. I'm so thankful he will not have to be euthanized. I trust this vet to find a good home for him. They were so understanding, even with my blubbering. Love them.
Back to top Go down
unclegus
Balladeer

Scorpio

PostSubject: Re: When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...   Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:50 pm

I don't think you want to get rid of the cat, I am sure everyone involved is glad the cat will at least be placed in good hands.
Is there any chance that Dr. Smith can correct the issue with medications and you can keep him at home?
Kudos on you for seeking an alternative to this situation and I am sure everybody will be just fine.
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...   Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:57 pm

I'm glad it turned out that way.
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...   Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:00 pm

Joy wrote:
I love Smith Animal Hospital. I took Kato today and the vet said that other than Kato's issues (mental, not physical) that he was extremely healthy and a great-looking cat. So he felt sure he could find Kato a home. He said that with high strung personalities like Kato's that sometimes antidepressants will take care of the mental stuff & he will be doing that as well.

I completely embarrassed myself, btw. I thought I could hold it together to tell them about Kato, but I couldn't stop crying. I really do love Kato. I know he's a cat, not a human, but I don't care. He is precious to me. Then when the vet told me his verdict and what he had in mind, I couldn't stop crying again from thankfulness and relief. Then I sat in the car and cried a while before I left because I will miss Kato. I'm so thankful he will not have to be euthanized. I trust this vet to find a good home for him. They were so understanding, even with my blubbering. Love them.

You have no reason for being embarrassed. There is nothing wrong with having love in your heart. It is a difficult decision and I feel for you. He will be fine. If you need to feel better let me know and I will share my dog Punkin with you. She always makes me feel better. A few minutes of lap time wth her and I promise you'll feel better too. Smile
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...   Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:03 pm

Thanks y'all. Smile

Gus, the vet didn't offer that to me as an option. I am guessing that is because we cannot replace the carpet and no matter how many times I clean the carpet, Kato will still be able to find his pee spots.
Back to top Go down
Firenze
Odist

PostSubject: Re: When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...   Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:12 pm

I'm so sorry, Joy. Things can get better. When I first got Fleur she often used a pile of dirty clothes. And I really can't afford to just throw them away, so it's a lot of detergent, baking soda, etc. She is better now for whatever reason.

If it does come down to it, talk to Trader first. He and his friend do a lot of animal rescue and they could help...possibly.

I've been with Chip when he's helped a lot of my cats to the other side, but it is extremely hard. Tucker died two years ago yesterday and I still miss him. Each one is so different.

I'd say Kato is upset. Could there be a queen in the neighborhood who's in heat? Even if they're neutered, they still can have urges and not really know how to handle things. I'm taking Beau next week for the big op. As far as I know he's, ahem, never dated, but he tries with Fleur who doesn't have the equipment, so I'm sure he's sensing one of the strays in season.
Back to top Go down
http://pen-n-sword.com/
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...   Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:12 pm

Kato has a new home already!!! Dr. Fisher said that one of the young guys that work there fell in love with Kato (what a charmer, right?), said his Mom's cat had recently passed away, called Mom & she was agreeable, took him home and they are all getting along famously. He said they were going to continue the antidepressants, but so far so good. Did I say I love Smith Animal Hospital? I told Dr. Fisher that our family could not thank him enough for caring about Kato and doing what was best for him. He's a good man. I still miss him, but now I can sleep at night and I am happy for Kato.
Back to top Go down
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...   Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:26 pm

That's great news, Joy. I'm glad Kato found a home Smile
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...   Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:17 pm

WOO HOO ...thats good news...... Thumbup Monkey Dance Flag

I'll bet you will sleep better tonight.
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...   Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:41 pm

Great. I'm so glad it worked out.
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...   Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:18 am

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...   

Back to top Go down

When euthanizing your pet is the only option left...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1