Share | 

DEA Moves to Make 'Bath Salts' Illegal

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: DEA Moves to Make 'Bath Salts' Illegal    Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:29 am

From Medscape Medical News > Alerts, Approvals and Safety Changes > Medscape Alerts
DEA Moves to Make 'Bath Salts' Illegal as Overdoses Rise

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/749304

Authors and Disclosures

Posted: 09/07/2011

September 7, 2011 ( UPDATED September 8, 2011 ) — In the wake of a growing number of overdose visits to emergency departments, the US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) has moved to make psychoactive "bath salts" (PABS) a controlled substance.

In a statement released today, the DEA announced it is using its emergency scheduling authority to temporarily control methylenedioxypyrovalerone and 2 other synthetic stimulants: mephedrone and methylone.

As of September 7, 2011, possessing and selling these chemicals or the products that contain them are both illegal in the United States for at least 1 year while the DEA and the US Department of Health and Human Services mull over whether the substances should be permanently controlled.

"This imminent action by the DEA demonstrates that there is no tolerance for those who manufacture, distribute, or sell these drugs anywhere in the country, and that those who do will be shut down, arrested, and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law," DEA Administrator Michele M. Leonhart, said in a statement. "DEA has made it clear we will not hesitate to use our emergency scheduling authority to control these dangerous chemicals that pose a significant and growing threat to our nation."

In the last 6 months, the DEA has received increasing reports from poison centers, hospitals, and police involving one or more of the now-controlled substances.

Weird huh? More at the site. At least it doesn't affect my Calgon!!!!!
Back to top Go down
unclegus
Balladeer

Scorpio

PostSubject: Re: DEA Moves to Make 'Bath Salts' Illegal    Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:42 am

This is all the more reason they should legalize marijuana, it is natural and has to be safer than any of these
said chemicals!
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: DEA Moves to Make 'Bath Salts' Illegal    Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:05 am

I agree Gus. All it does it make you happy, sleepy and hungry. Great for the economy due to all the munchies buying.
Back to top Go down
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: DEA Moves to Make 'Bath Salts' Illegal    Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:07 am

thank goodness! someone in my family is a frequent user of that stuff.
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: DEA Moves to Make 'Bath Salts' Illegal    Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:14 am

I'll post the rest, didn't realize the link needed a password:

Increasing Emergency Visits Related to Overdose

People who overdose on the bath salts are showing up in emergency departments with increasing frequency, concerned clinicians Edward A. Ross, MD, Mary Watson, MD, and Bruce Goldberger, PhD, from the University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, write in a letter to the editor, that appears in the September 8 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.

"Despite growing efforts to ban these products through legislation, [PABS] often skirt substance-control laws and are readily available at low cost," the authors write.

Until now easily obtained over the Internet, these bath salts, which have nothing to do with any hygiene product, go by such names as Ivory Wave and Vanilla Sky.

The main ingredient in PABS is methylenedioxypyrovalerone, which is structurally related to pyrovalerone and a-pyrrolidinophenone compounds that inhibit norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake and act as central nervous system stimulants.

Touted for giving a high similar to that of methamphetamine, PABS are also known as alertness enhancers or aphrodisiacs and are sometimes called "legal cocaine."

PABS are taken orally, intranasally, intravenously, or rectally, and doses as low as 3 to 5 mg will produce an effect. The average dose ranges from 5 to 20 mg, and the risk for overdose is high because packages can contain up to 500 mg. Taken orally, the bath salts are rapidly absorbed and produce a rush that peaks at 1.5 hours after ingestion and lasts for 3 to 4 hours.

The physical effects of PABS include tachycardia, hypertension, arrhythmias, hyperthermia, seizures, stroke, myocardial infarction, and even death. Behavioral and mental effects include panic attacks, anxiety, paranoia, hallucinations, psychosis, aggressive or violent behavior (such as self-mutilation, suicide attempts, and homicidal activity), insomnia, anorexia, and depression.

The consequences of a PABS overdose can be particularly nasty, and clinicians need to be aware of several issues, the authors warn.

Individuals who are experiencing symptoms of PABS overdose need to be cared for and monitored in the intensive care unit. In addition, routine drug screens are unable to detect bath salts. Bath salts also can be cut with other psychoactive substances, which can further confuse the clinical presentation, the authors write.

Overdose victims may also require physical restraints and high doses of sedatives to prevent harming themselves or others.

Treatment involves intravenous benzodiazepines to control seizures or for sedation and intravenous fluids for suspected rhabdomyolysis.
Back to top Go down
BroBama
Limerick Lover

PostSubject: Re: DEA Moves to Make 'Bath Salts' Illegal    Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:45 pm

This is rumor of course but I have been told that at least one owner of the BP stores and Little Steve’s buys the raw chemicals and manufactures the stuff in different strengths and legally sells it.
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: DEA Moves to Make 'Bath Salts' Illegal    Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:34 am

The problem is that once one thing is made illegal, whoever is making this crap just comes up with a new product. My daughter (23), who is anti anything where she is not in complete control, says she doesn't even know any guys her age or younger in our area who don't use something. I fear for this generation of young people and for the domino effect on our society as a whole. That's pretty heavy, but it's something to think about. Maybe I just don't know enough about the drugs available as I grew up, but it seems that the drugs keep escalating in danger as the years pass. I'd seriously prefer they be dabbling in marijuana than the crap they are into now.
Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: DEA Moves to Make 'Bath Salts' Illegal    Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:43 am

BroBama wrote:
This is rumor of course but I have been told that at least one owner of the BP stores and Little Steve’s buys the raw chemicals and manufactures the stuff in different strengths and legally sells it.

BroBama, I guess if they get a better profit, that makes sense, but they can sell Comatose Candy legally. It's packaged as aromatherapy herbs & has a disclaimer on the back, something about not condoning smoking it or whatever, but the name gives away it's true purpose.

I know because I found it in my son's room. After several "second" chances, we eventually had to kick my son out for smoking it in our house. It was a really horrible time for all of us, but tough love was the only way to prevent his addiction. Now he's working to pay his own bills & has to walk to/from work & anywhere else he needs to go...much less money/time to buy/use. My father was an alcoholic. I was not going to be an enabler. Still, it almost killed me. I knew it had to be done, but he's my son.

A look at his bank statement told me all his money was going to Little Steve's. I assume that's where he bought the stuff, but I never went in the store to see it. To be honest, I was afraid I'd have a come apart on them. My daughter said that is the store where she thought most college kids get their stuff.

Here's a pic of it's packaging...

Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: DEA Moves to Make 'Bath Salts' Illegal    Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:57 am

I have never heard of the stuff and did not know where you would get it. I guess I do now.

So sorry for you and hubby Joy. That was a tough call.

Drugs just keep getting weirder.
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: DEA Moves to Make 'Bath Salts' Illegal    Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:59 am

Comatose Candy Scented Herbal Potpourri 3 Gram Blueberry

Comatose Candy Scented Herbal Potpourri 3 Gram Blueberry
Price: $15.00
Retail: $24.00
You Save: $9.00
This item is in stock
Quantity:
Brief Description
Detailed Description
Specifications
Exotic Blend of plants used for Centuries in Spiritual & Religious ceremonies
MUST BE 18 or OLDER to Purchase-- Keep out of reach of children
EXTRA STRONG Fragrance--Not for Human Consumption
THIS PRODUCT DOES NOT CONTAIN HU-210, CP47, 497, JWH-018, 073 OR ANY OTHER SCHEDULED/CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE WITHIN THE U.S.

E-mail a friend about FUNTASTIC GLOBAL ENTERPRISES.

Return to Catalog

Not hard to find. It's actually called comatose candy and people buy it? I feel so ignorant right now. I need to get out of the house more.
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: DEA Moves to Make 'Bath Salts' Illegal    Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:03 am

Amazon was selling it but pulled it from their listings. Here is a disclaimer:

Product Description
COMATOSE CANDY is a mixture of traditional herbs enhanced with aromatic properties. This Product is intended to be used as a fragrant potpourri/incense only. This product is not designed, intended or suggested to be used for human consumption in any capacity, including oral ingestion or through the inhalation of smoke in any way. Comatose Candy and its manufactures, distributors and retailers are not responsible or liable for any misuse of the product committed by the consumer. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. Comatose Candy Spice Herbal Incense 3.0 gram packet. WE DO NOT SHIP TO APO ADDRESSES or to the following States: Alabama, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Georgia, Tennessee, Kansas, Utah, Arkansas, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Dakota and Missouri (Counties of St.Charles, Pettis, Cities of Forest Hill and Walk Height) We do not do international shipping of these products BEFORE ORDERING PLEASE BEWARE THAT DUE TO VARIOUS INSTANCES OF MISUSE OF THIS PRODUCT, WE WILL NOT REFUND, RETURN OR EXHANGE ANY HERBAL INCENSE PRODUCT....IF YOU LIVE IN ONE OF THESE PLACES AND ORDER THIS PRODUCT A 20% RESTOCKING FEE WILL BE DEDUCTED FROM YOUR REFUND... SELLER ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR USE OF THIS PRODUCT.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DEA Moves to Make 'Bath Salts' Illegal    

Back to top Go down

DEA Moves to Make 'Bath Salts' Illegal
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1