HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

FDA banning Primatene Mist inhalers for asthma

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: FDA banning Primatene Mist inhalers for asthma   Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:35 am

This one is just stupid. The miniscule amount of CFC is going into the person's LUNGS, not the atmosphere. It is the only one available without a prescription, making it cheap and easy to get. Prescription ones are very expensive, some can range up to $500 !!!! If the FDA says it's safe for my lungs, it should be safe for the fricking atmosphere.

September 24th, 2011 by Roger Caldwell | Permalink

Albuterol inhalers like this one will soon be the only choice for asthmatics. Via Google Images

People who use Primatene Mist to control their asthama symptoms may want to build a stockpile of the over-the-counter medicine now or start looking for other treatments.

The FDA issued a reminder that the drug will no longer be available after Dec. 31 due to the fact that the inhaler it uses as a delivery system uses chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). Those compounds have been shown to damage the ozone layer and are being banned as part of an international agreement, the Montreal Protocol on Substances That Deplete the Ozone Layer.

In 2006, an FDA advisory panel voted 11-7 that Primatene Mist , which was under scrutiny because of the CFC issue, didn’t serve an essential health need. The FDA said it set the phase-out date and notified the public in November 2008. The company (currently Amphaster, although it was Wyeth in 2006) has included information about Primatene Mist’s availability both on its website and product packaging. Wyeth said in 2006 that about 3 million people in the U.S. used Primatene Mist each year.

Dan Dischner, an Amphastar spokesman, says that the company’s subsidiary, Armstrong Pharmaceuticals, is currently in talks with the FDA about introducing a new version of the drug using a different propellant, but that won’t happen before the ban on the current drug kicks in. In the meantime, the FDA says there are many prescription choices for asthma, including albuterol inhalers.
Back to top Go down
unclegus
Balladeer

Scorpio

PostSubject: Re: FDA banning Primatene Mist inhalers for asthma   Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:47 am

there is other propellants beside cfc's.
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: FDA banning Primatene Mist inhalers for asthma   Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:06 am

That is true, and I'm sure Primatene will switch to something else, but it will make it cost more.
Back to top Go down
Firenze
Odist

PostSubject: Re: FDA banning Primatene Mist inhalers for asthma   Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:55 pm

I pretty much recommend that everyone have a nebulizer on standby. Usually you can find one on eBay.
Back to top Go down
http://pen-n-sword.com/
Dino
Sonneteer

PostSubject: Re: FDA banning Primatene Mist inhalers for asthma   Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:06 pm

I've lost a piece of the pipe or tubing to my nebulizer whcih was needed following (collapsed lung). Need to look on ebay for the part, just pulled the nebulizer out of the cabinet over the weekend. My albuterol tubes are out of date, so need to call Dr. Morris' office for new script. Saw in the TD that Dr. Morris' nurse, Barbara, lost her son Friday.
Funeral was yesterday. Need to get a card out to her. I highly recommend Dr. Morris, he's one of a dying breed of doctor, one who cares about his patients and goes the extra mile, always. He has saved my life twice. Once, after seeing me placed in a medflight to Vandy, he disclosed later, he thought to himself 'I'll never see her alive again'. Inept care at two hospitals ultimately put me near death and placed me in the OR 6 times, 35 days in ICU at Vandy, then to a room where I contracted c diff and had so many tubes and monitors it took 2 iv poles to hold them all. One nutty nurse, after getting in hot water over lifting the box that collected drainage from the chest tube, laid on the floor to read the measurements on the following day. I wouldn't let her near me after she got off the floor and acted insulted when I demanded another nurse to check pulse. temp, etc., She wasn't assigned to my room again. I've wondered if she kept her job. I really don't think she had a clue. I had tubes in and tubes/drains out. Vancomycin and levaquin by iv simultaneously will make you ill, although you're ill to need them but hey are a powerful combination. Add heparin, zosyn, flagyl, keppra and albuterol treatments, roxycet, take all fluids away for 6 weeks excet for gastrogaffin (sp) which is like liquid metal, then lay on a table that inverts you for xrays following the downing of enough of the metal stuff to float a battleship. Peritoneal lesions and organ failure. Glad its a memory. Stay tuned for detail on the OR procecures, lol, just kidding. Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://dinosdeliberations.blogspot.com
judgemental
Limerick Lover

PostSubject: Re: FDA banning Primatene Mist inhalers for asthma   Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:34 am

Dino wrote:
I've lost a piece of the pipe or tubing to my nebulizer whcih was needed following (collapsed lung). Need to look on ebay for the part, just pulled the nebulizer out of the cabinet over the weekend. My albuterol tubes are out of date, so need to call Dr. Morris' office for new script. Saw in the TD that Dr. Morris' nurse, Barbara, lost her son Friday.
Funeral was yesterday. Need to get a card out to her. I highly recommend Dr. Morris, he's one of a dying breed of doctor, one who cares about his patients and goes the extra mile, always. He has saved my life twice. Once, after seeing me placed in a medflight to Vandy, he disclosed later, he thought to himself 'I'll never see her alive again'. Inept care at two hospitals ultimately put me near death and placed me in the OR 6 times, 35 days in ICU at Vandy, then to a room where I contracted c diff and had so many tubes and monitors it took 2 iv poles to hold them all. One nutty nurse, after getting in hot water over lifting the box that collected drainage from the chest tube, laid on the floor to read the measurements on the following day. I wouldn't let her near me after she got off the floor and acted insulted when I demanded another nurse to check pulse. temp, etc., She wasn't assigned to my room again. I've wondered if she kept her job. I really don't think she had a clue. I had tubes in and tubes/drains out. Vancomycin and levaquin by iv simultaneously will make you ill, although you're ill to need them but hey are a powerful combination. Add heparin, zosyn, flagyl, keppra and albuterol treatments, roxycet, take all fluids away for 6 weeks excet for gastrogaffin (sp) which is like liquid metal, then lay on a table that inverts you for xrays following the downing of enough of the metal stuff to float a battleship. Peritoneal lesions and organ failure. Glad its a memory. Stay tuned for detail on the OR procecures, lol, just kidding. Shocked

so glad you overcame that 'adventure' sounds like it could have gotten pretty bad No
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FDA banning Primatene Mist inhalers for asthma   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1