AuthorMessage
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Addiction a Brain Disease   Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:18 am

From Medscape Medical News > Psychiatry
Addiction a Brain Disease, ASAM Says

Deborah Brauser

August 31, 2011 — For the first time, the American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) has officially recognized that addiction is not solely related to substance misuse and is, in fact, a chronic brain disease.

"At its core, addiction isn't just a social problem or a moral problem or a criminal problem. It's a brain problem whose behaviors manifest in all these other areas," ASAM Past President Michael Miller, MD, said in a news release.

"The disease is about brains, not drugs. It's about underlying neurology, not outward actions," added Dr. Miller, who oversaw the development of the new addiction definition.

Findings from brain circuitry studies prompted more than 80 experts to come together 4 years ago to begin the process of developing a new definition of addiction.

Previous research has shown that addiction affects neurotransmission in the reward area of the brain, triggers craving of addictive behaviors based on memories of previous experiences, and alters areas that govern impulse control and judgment.

Chronic Condition

Although ASAM adopted aspects of its new definition internally in April, it was recently released to the public with final tweaks based on subsequent discussion by board members.

Highlights include its description of addiction as a primary disease, which means "it's not the result of other causes such as emotional or psychiatric problems." ASAM also notes that addiction is a chronic condition, and so should be "treated, managed, and monitored over a life-time."

Raju Hajela, MD, chair of the ASAM new definition committee and past president of the Canadian Society of Addiction Medicine, said in the release that this disease drives behaviors that others might not understand.

"Simply put, addiction is not a choice[, but] choice still plays an important role in getting help. Because there is no pill which alone can cure addiction, choosing recovery over unhealthy behaviors is necessary," added Dr. Hajela.

David Kupfer, MD, chair of the American Psychiatric Association's Task Force for the upcoming Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5), told Medscape Medical News that "a number of mental disorders" that are currently in the DSM-4 and that will be in the DSM-5 are considered chronic and persistent.

"Addictive disorders, anxiety disorders, certainly depressive or bipolar disorders, schizophrenia, some of the neurocognitive disorders such as Alzheimer's — they are disorders that are no different than cardiovascular disease, or diabetes, or even asthma in many ways," said Dr. Kupfer.

"Thinking about it that way has helped a lot of people trying to revise the current DSM to realize that what we are seeking to do is try and find out the underlying physiology and the underlying psychopathology and etiology of these disorders. There's no question that you have this interaction of what's going on in the brain and what's going on in terms of expression of behavior," he added.

Definition Reduces Stigma

He noted that the new definition is consistent with "parallel developments" currently going on in other areas of psychiatry.

"We're running into the same exciting areas. It doesn't mean we have the answers. It means we have our work cut out for us in terms of how to integrate what we're learning about how the brain functions with what we learn about behavior," said Dr. Kupfer.

"It's very nice to see this society endorsing the fact that in many ways addiction may very well be a chronic brain disorder, and not simply a behavioral disorder. And that I totally agree with."

Overall, he said, it is important to get this information out to the public, to let those affected know that it is okay to come in for treatment.

"The only way that we will really get rid of stigma is to continue to point out and show again and again, hopefully with more science, that these disorders are no different than any of the other disorders that we are treating throughout the rest of medicine. So anything like this new definition helps."
Back to top Go down
unclegus
Balladeer

Scorpio

PostSubject: Re: Addiction a Brain Disease   Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:27 am

I have a brain disease!
Back to top Go down
BroBama
Limerick Lover

PostSubject: Re: Addiction a Brain Disease   Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:12 am

Somehow it does not seem correct to refer to this as a “disease or disorder” since it is the result of actions on the part of a person in the past that causes the feel good portion of the brain to be coded for the experience of pleasure. Behavior on the part of an individual that is inconsistent with what society considers normal, changes from time to time. Some of these cases which appear to be addictions in others now, perhaps not be the case. in the future. The question is, why at some point is pleasure addiction considered to be a disease? The key I think is “healthy behavior”. Can the addiction be reversed? Certainly. We see it every day. If the chronic addiction is the result of past involvement in something that produces pleasure this supports the current position that our behavior is not genetic but that our environment somehow causes identical DNA to be coded for different responses both psychological and physical in different persons. I don’t disagree with the study but the terms. Actually this is the cutting edge in the study of human behavior involving genetics.

Good post.
Back to top Go down
unclegus
Balladeer

Scorpio

PostSubject: Re: Addiction a Brain Disease   Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:25 am

I don't know if this article mentions it, but it is a proven fact that a person can inherit an addictive gene.
If your ancestry has addicts then you can become addicted to something from the first time you partake
in a substance.
With that said, we do have control over what we choose to be addicted to. I quit smoking many years ago
and thought it was very easy to overcome the cigarettes. Some people have a very difficult time putting them away.
Back to top Go down
BroBama
Limerick Lover

PostSubject: Re: Addiction a Brain Disease   Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:55 pm

This is very true . Traits can be heritable. The gene is unchanged but coding which prompts DNA to be prompted is somehow inherited. We know how the coding works but we know little about the intellect that prompts for different outcomes from identical genes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Addiction a Brain Disease   Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:23 pm

A very good topic .I feel i am an expert on this subject beings i am a recovering drug addict,been in treatment two times,relapsed more than i can remember and coming from a familly of acholics and drug addicts.I have read that if you take the drugs or booze away from the addicted person you still have a addict or alcholic.And i still crave drugs at any given moment and know just what to do and where to get them.Most every day the craving comes over me and i have to fight till it passes.I will never be "cured" just controlled.Maybe some of you have never been in "that world" i hope none of you ever do as you may not come back! I know some of you know friends or familly who died by over-dose,car-wreck or just plain took their own life because they could not deal with it any longer.I try to tell myself i am lucky and blessed to be alive and i,m sure i am but i don't feel that way.I feel like a great big hole in the center of my chest with the wind blowing thru it.(quote AA). Drugs and my wonderful wife are the only thing that will fill that hole up.Bless her heart she fills most of it up but not all so yall see i walk this earth with this burden of addiction till i draw my last breath.I see my friends still drunk and strung out all the time and it breaks my oold heart for i know where they are headed.At one time i had a a lovely wife who slowly became an alcholic and now she looks like an old dried up elderly woman.I watched her drinking become more important than me so our marriage went to hell.Its too late for her as she i so sick i expect to hear she has died any day now.Do i care no! Because the booze was her lover not me! I,m sorry this has been such a long post but there is noway i can make it short.If you of any of your loved ones need help PM me and it will remain between us.Don't just sit there and watch them die a slow death at least reach out to them so you may have a clean concience about it.I know my spelling sucks but i don't give a rats ass as most of you know or will know.I,m a tired old burnt up man but try to have a little honor about me self! I don't want your pity or anything else.I,m a big boy and know how to handle myself and where i can get help.Thank eberdody! JR
Back to top Go down
unclegus
Balladeer

Scorpio

PostSubject: Re: Addiction a Brain Disease   Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:33 pm

I have my demons of my own JR. I know that it helps a lot to communicate with others about
these issues we live with. I drink more than I should, but I do know my limitations. Yes, I have seen
the ill effects of alcoholism all my life and know what you talk about.
Stay strong in your quest to stay away from it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Addiction a Brain Disease   Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:37 pm

I understand you Gus.The secret is moderation,you either control it or it controls you.Yup i dap a little myself! But very little its hard not to in this stressful world we live in..right?
Back to top Go down
unclegus
Balladeer

Scorpio

PostSubject: Re: Addiction a Brain Disease   Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:46 pm

Yep, after the day I had yesterday, I had to pull a good one. Don't care anything about it today though.
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: Addiction a Brain Disease   Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:24 pm

Two great post guys. I consider myself lucky. I was raised by two alcoholics, and was married to two alcoholics and addicts. I drank most of my life and did my share of partying. By all reasoning I should be an alcoholic but I can honestly say I am not. How I managed to come out without the NEED for drugs or alcohol is beyond me. I don't drink as much as I pretend to here on the forums. I have a bottle of rum that I have been sipping on for over two months, and there is still plenty in the bottle. I do partake in a little herb from time to time, but is it a problem? No. I been smokin on an ounce for over four months. When I partied, an oz. was good for about four days, and a fifth was good for about four hours. I do respect you guys that have had a problem with it and realized you had to do something about it. I know what kind of will power it takes. Hang in there fellers. Y'all got my support and respect. Jr, even when we locked horns a few times, you said things that I respected ( a few that pissed me off haha). I have you figured as a man who stands up when he needs to and does whatever it takes. You are gonna be allright man.
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: Addiction a Brain Disease   Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:30 pm

When the company I worked for implemented a drug testing policy they sent a representative to talk to us about it off the record. He asked the crowd if anyone there had ever experimented with drugs. All my buddies kept pokin me sayin tell him tell him. He saw the guys messin with me, and he pointed to me and said. " how about you young man? Did you ever experiment with drugs?"

I told him "No." I said "I was into full scale F%$&in research."
Back to top Go down
Dino
Sonneteer

PostSubject: Re: Addiction a Brain Disease   Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:39 pm

It is good to see this development. If the medical field, rather the FDA, can approve drugs for physicians to prescribe which have side effects that can possibly cause compulsive behavior, deviant behavior, confrontations, hyperactivity, drowsiness, in effect - rewire the brain to do things it would not do otherwise it certainly supports the rationale that some brains aren't functioning normally without medications.The solution is finding the correct drug or combination to correct only the miswired (?) portion without affecting other functions. Some meds may address a portion of an illness in a positive way yet cause new problems which also have to be medicated, effectually causing more harm than good. More medicine is not good medicine when you have to take one to counteract another in some applications. Does that make sense or do I need to take another pill? I also take my hat off to those who have and/or continue beating an addiction.

Did they stop short by not saying many were born with mental illness outright?

Back to top Go down
http://dinosdeliberations.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Addiction a Brain Disease   Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:21 am

I know a poor dude that already had a mental illness but thanks to his drug abuse he is more less a zombie now,Hope he don't start eating flest!
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Addiction a Brain Disease   Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:19 am

Not a specific mention of being 'born with it', Dino, but many psychiatrists already concede that you are indeed born with it or born with a latent gene that may or may not express itself. I do know that a true sociopath or psychopath is that way at birth, no amount of therapy will change it.

Best wishes JR. I have never had an addition to anything, unless chocolate counts. Smile Gus and Blue, best wishes to you both as well. My parents were chain smokers, both dying from cancer and Alzheimer. I can't stand cigarette smoke and never could.

"Addictive disorders, anxiety disorders, certainly depressive or bipolar disorders, schizophrenia, some of the neurocognitive disorders such as Alzheimer's — they are disorders that are no different than cardiovascular disease, or diabetes, or even asthma in many ways," said Dr. Kupfer.
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Addiction a Brain Disease   Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:08 am

I just spilled my guts on another thread, was a little nervous about that and then see this thread where you are all being so open...love y'all! Hug

I don't know how some of us escape addiction. I got lucky, but made the same choices that lead to addiction. Most of us have. Anytime I hear a person put down addicts or unwed mothers, I come right out and ask them if they ever drank, did drugs or had sex outside of marriage...that tends to turn them red and shut them up real quick...haha. I do confess my own choices then to lighten the blow. Very Happy

Alcoholism runs in my family. So I am careful...moderation as y'all said. There was a time I wouldn't keep it in the house at all. Now I just limit how often I buy it.
Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: Addiction a Brain Disease   Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:19 am

Joy wrote:
Alcoholism runs in my family. So I am careful...moderation as y'all said. There was a time I wouldn't keep it in the house at all. Now I just limit how often I buy it.

Joy, i have it on both sides of my family, and i'm sure it's why i can't drink very much. 2-3 sips, i'm buzzed, and i push it away. Two weeks ago i thought i would try a little red wine at night for the health benefits and discovered i'm allergic to red wine. About a month ago, facing possible problems with B-man's latest EEG, i drank a whole wine cooler and wound up drunk for the first time in my life. Something i don't care to repeat.
Back to top Go down
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: Addiction a Brain Disease   Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:42 am

JR, i admire your determination.

My brother , initials JR, was a full blown addict.....drugs, drinking....he did it all. He spent most of his 20's, 30's, and 40's in prison. Hamilton workcamp, Kilby, and Holman. He totally missed out on the lives of four beautiful daughters. At one point, in his 20's, he did something very stupid to himself to get moved from Florence jail to the hospital, almost died, and wound up crippled for life, then had a heart attack and two strokes in his 50's, and was diagnosed with liver disease.
Not long ago the doctor told him to stop drinking or he would be dead in a matter of weeks. Last May 3rd his body was discovered in his apartment....surrounded by empty bottles. He was 59 and looked 75. A wasted life and grown children that never knew him. I miss my big brother, but he died many, many years ago.

YOU hang in there, and avoid that type of outcome!!!
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: Addiction a Brain Disease   Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:44 pm

I got confidence Puf. I think JR is gonna be all right. Thumbup
Back to top Go down
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: Addiction a Brain Disease   Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:45 pm

His mind definitely seems to be in the right place.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Addiction a Brain Disease   Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:33 pm

Thanks Blue for a vote of confidence.One day at a time thats all i can say. Neutral Neutral
Back to top Go down
judgemental
Limerick Lover

PostSubject: Re: Addiction a Brain Disease   Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:08 pm

jr and gus i really admire yall
Back to top Go down
unclegus
Balladeer

Scorpio

PostSubject: Re: Addiction a Brain Disease   Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:51 am

judgemental wrote:
jr and gus i really admire yall