HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Mariah Slick, Student With Down Syndrome, Crowned Homecoming Queen

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Mariah Slick, Student With Down Syndrome, Crowned Homecoming Queen    Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:02 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2044716/Mariah-Slick-Down-Syndrome-Azle-High-School-pupil-homecoming-queen.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Mariah Slick Down Syndrome Homecoming Queen

Mariah Slick is the first Azle High School homecoming queen with Down syndrome.

The high school senior, according to KVUE, never expected that her classmates would crown her the queen of their homecoming.

She is known for her warm personality, but even her parents were surprised by the nomination. "I never dreamed she would be nominated homecoming queen, especially since she has special needs," her mother, Susan Slick, told CBS DFW.

The 18-year-old high school student is one of the school's biggest fans, and according to ABC, hardly misses a game. It seems everyone has something nice to say about her as well.

“She is well-liked by everybody,” her friend Jordan Arnold told CBS. “She is sweet -- a real sweetheart!”

Slick bested three other contestants to win the title during halftime of the school's homecoming game Friday night.

I put this in spiritual because it made me feel good. cheers
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Mariah Slick, Student With Down Syndrome, Crowned Homecoming Queen    Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:52 am

It sounds like she was the most deserving and the students chose well. The most encouraging thing about that for me...an entire group of Seniors, our next generation of adults, who do not have shallow minds but see what is truly special about a person.

Awesome story...thanks for sharing that, lmm. Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap

Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
Dino
Sonneteer

PostSubject: Re: Mariah Slick, Student With Down Syndrome, Crowned Homecoming Queen    Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:11 pm

Heartwarming story. Another I heard a few yrs back: a teen had been having chemo treatments and lost his hair. When able to return to school he wore a cap until he entered homeroom to find all the boys in his class had shaved heads so he wouldn't feel different. This was back before shaving heads was a common thing among adolescents, 80's maybe? when hair was very important.
Back to top Go down
http://dinosdeliberations.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mariah Slick, Student With Down Syndrome, Crowned Homecoming Queen    

Back to top Go down

Mariah Slick, Student With Down Syndrome, Crowned Homecoming Queen
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1