HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

The nose knows it's a bad allergy season

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: The nose knows it's a bad allergy season   Mon May 23, 2011 7:49 am

Link: The nose knows it's a bad allergy season

Well, this nose certainly does. I've been scanning articles for good advice on how to deal with it and found a few good ideas here.

Quote :
One of the most important things you can do, said Leija, is to take your clothes off outside of your bedroom, and shower at night.

"If you're outdoors during the day, your hair and clothes get pollen on them. If you take a shower in the evening and keep your clothes out of the bedroom, you keep the pollen out of your bedroom," he said. That may help alleviate a lot of your symptoms, he said.

Another mistake is opening up all of the windows. While that may bring in fresh air, it also brings in pollen. Instead, Leija and Rosenstreich recommend running an air conditioner so that any air coming into the home is filtered. Rosenstreich said that air filters can help if you run them with the windows shut.

Certain foods may make you more sensitive to tree pollens, and vice versa, Leija said. Foods to avoid during the spring if you have allergies include apples, celery, peaches, pears, cherries, hazelnuts and plums, he said.

"People often complain they have itching in the roof of their mouth or throat after eating these foods and they didn't know why," said Leija.

Both experts recommended trying an over-the-counter antihistamine. Rosenstreich said many are available in non-drowsy 24-hour formulations. If those don't provide relief, he said, it's time to see an allergist. Prescription medications, such as nasal steroid sprays and antihistamine eye drops, may help relieve your itchy eyes and runny nose.

I found that very interesting. I would never have guessed the clothes/shower thing and certainly didn't know about the food to avoid.
Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: The nose knows it's a bad allergy season   Mon May 23, 2011 12:46 pm

I always take a shower before going to bed, but since the bathroom is attached to my main bedroom, I don't know if that keeps the pollen out. Hubby hates AC and we fight all summer long about having it on. He is ALWAYS cold (takes blood thinner), so I have to demand it some days.

I have had constant allergies since I was a child. I keep one bottle of Benedryl by the bed and another by the coffee pot downstairs. It's the only thing that works.
Back to top Go down

The nose knows it's a bad allergy season
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1