Share | 

Veterans Day 11-11-11

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Veterans Day 11-11-11   Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:12 am

If you live in a free country, thank a veteran. We salute our heroes past and present. Thank you.

(putting this on the calender, coming up this Friday)
Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Veterans Day 11-11-11   Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:49 am

Eagle

I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you
Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
unclegus
Balladeer

Scorpio

PostSubject: Re: Veterans Day 11-11-11   Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:49 am

Thank you to any and all veterans who has served our country.
Thank you Joy fr posting this!
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: Veterans Day 11-11-11   Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:18 am

I watched the program about Vietnam in HD last night, and wondered what it was like for the returning vets when they got off the plane and were cursed. ANYONE who serves their country deserves respect.....Period. As one of the lucky few of my generation who didn't have to serve, I deeply appreciate the sacrifices our military in whatever conflict they were in. I may not agree with the reason for the fight, but the ones doing the fighting have my respect and gratitude. They may not agree with the reasons either, but they do their job. We are blessed.
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Veterans Day 11-11-11   Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:18 am

Many thanks to all who served and are serving their country.

I watched the laying of the wreath ceremony and thought how much the playing of "Taps" always moves me, usually to tears.

So in the honor of "Taps", a little background.
...................................................................................................
"Taps" concludes many military funerals conducted with honors at Arlington National Cemetery, as well as hundreds of others around the United States.[4] The tune is also sounded at many memorial services in Arlington's Memorial Amphitheater and at grave sites throughout the cemetery.

Captain John C. Tidball, West Point, Class of 1848, started the custom of playing taps at a military funeral. It was in early July, 1862 at Harrison’s Landing, that a corporal of Tidball’s Battery A, 2nd Artillery, died. He was, Tidball recalled later, “a most excellent man.” Tidball desired to bury him with full military honors, but was refused, for military reasons, permission to fire three guns over his grave. Tidball later wrote, “The thought suggested itself to me to sound taps instead, which I did. The idea was taken up by others, until in a short time it was adopted by the entire army and is now looked upon as the most appropriate and touching part of a military funeral.” As Tidball proudly proclaimed, “Battery A has the honor of having introduced this custom into the service, and it is worthy of historical note.”[5]

It became a standard component to U.S. military funerals in 1891.[3]

"Taps" is sounded during each of the 2,500 military wreath ceremonies conducted at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier every year, including the ones held on Memorial Day. The ceremonies are viewed by many people, including veterans, school groups, and foreign officials. "Taps" is also sounded nightly in military installations at non-deployed locations to indicate that it is "lights out", and often by Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts/ Girl Guides to mark the end of an evening event such as a campfire.

When "Taps" is sounded at a funeral, it is customary for serving members of the military or veterans to salute. The corresponding gesture for civilians is to place the right hand over the heart.[citation needed]
Back to top Go down
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Veterans Day 11-11-11   Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:50 am

Thanks for that information and I never knew where that came from.

Thank you to all who have served and are serving. I salute you and the families who stayed home and kept life going while waiting for you to come home safely. I salute and thank you all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Veterans Day 11-11-11   

Back to top Go down

Veterans Day 11-11-11
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1