Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Christmas!   Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:01 am

What does Christmas mean to you?
Favorite memories of Christmas past?
Favorite Christmas songs?
Favorite Christmas movies?
Favorite Christmas traditions?
What do you look forward to the most this Christmas season?
Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Christmas!   Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:58 am

Joy wrote:

I'll have a go.

For me, Christmas means loving others as I have been loved, giving to people in need out of gratitude for my needs being met, giving gifts to honor having received IMO the greatest gift. It means celebrating and making memories with friends and family. It means lights and trees and pretty things to look at, hopefully a little snow, too. It means goooood food. Smile

My favorites memories would be those involving people no longer here with me...my grandparents, my Dad and my BIL.

Two favorite Christmas songs that come to mind (love them all actually) are "O Holy Night" & guilty pleasure song is "Christmas in Hollis" by RUN-DMC...lol!

My favorite Christmas movies are "It's a Wonderful Life", "A Charlie Brown Christmas", "A Christmas Story", "Polar Express", "Scrooged" and the 1999 version of "A Christmas Carol" with Patrick Stewart.

Favorite Christmas Traditions...(1) Christmas caroling at the nursing home. The residents who are able walk around caroling with us...love love love that so much. (2) Christmas baskets to needy families, specifically those where the kids will have little to eat at home while out of school, lots of things in there kids can make for themselves plus Christmas Day meal items for Mom/Dad to prepare. (3) The kids' play at church...too adorable, always makes me laugh and cry...ha! (4) Every year, my Mom makes doughnuts like I've never tasted elsewhere...perfect...and her Russian Tea is to die for. (5) Christmas decorations! I put up my tree last night! Yay! (6) Time well spent with family and friends. (7) Last but certainly not least...advent, remembering, reflecting, meditating upon what I've been given through Christ.

I look forward the most to seeing Christmas anew through my grandson's eyes.

Last edited by Joy on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Christmas!   Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:00 am

Quote :

Christmas for me is family and time to just enjoy time together, enjoy giving and receiving, bake cookies, paint ornaments, play games, stay warm, drink hot drinks, serve a nice meal on the day itself, watch the kids open presents and see them put on their jammies Santa brings them, I love to put on soft Christmas music and just sit and watch the Christmas lights on the tree. Snow is nice after they are off school, too. Oh, and I like to come home at night and see the lighted deer and tree, penguins, stars, and lights on our front lawn. I'm a mush junkie snowman

Well, strangely enough one of my favorite memories is of a Christmas when I was a kid. We seriously didn't have anything and my childhood was really abusive, but I remember a Christmas when I got a wrapped stick of Doublemint gum, and I loved to smell it and I took tiny nibbles off of it to make it last. I swear I still smell and taste how good that stick was, and I remember thinking how cool it was that I got it. I treasured it, and I still remember how good I felt nibbling it.

Also, Christmases with my kids and being with my husband on Christmas Eves, letting the kids decorate the tree, those twinkly lights with my eyes squinted just right..lol. I ove to serve a Christmas dinner and see everyone enjoying it and to hear my kids playing in the background while I cook.

Favorite songs? Well, I hum Winter Wonderland all year for some reason, but not much at Christmas time...lol. I love the harmony on carols and I like to sing First Noel and Oh Holy Night to build to the end....I like them all. Mary, Did You Know? I think is the name always gets me teary. Once again I am a mushball Giggle

Movies? I watch "It's a Wonderful Life" every year to remind myself that the choices I've made did really make a difference to someone and hear that angel get his wings.

Traditions? Singing carols, cooking a lot, spending time with my kids, opening presents with my dh (dear husband) Christmas Eve and spending time with him alone then, Christmas meal, hot drinks and games while the kids are off school, dh going out the 26th to buy something on sale to light the yard up the next year, snuggling up to get warm, getting presents ready for the kids, enjoying that together feeling with them all, going to my grown son's house (down the street) to exchange on the day, and hanging one new ornament a year that reflects what's going on each year.

I look forward to the lights and music (but not until December), family time, the house smelling good, wrapping presents for my family, seeing them open what I got them, feeding them, and that warm fuzzy feeling I get from doing things for those in need. santa :snowball: It is all so different from when I was little...we dont' spend that much, but it's being together and thankfol for what we do have that warms me snowman tree
Back to top Go down
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Christmas!   Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:02 am

Oh thanks, Joy!! You reminded me of my other favorite movie....

1999 version of "A Christmas Carol" with Patrick Stewart

I swear he can do the meanest Scrooge Giggle
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Christmas!   Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:05 am

I agree, Sync...I loved reading about your Christmas...now I'm all warm and fuzzy...haha! Christmas! Yeek! cheers
Back to top Go down
unclegus
Balladeer

Scorpio

PostSubject: Re: Christmas!   Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:19 am

It's all about getting Junior that perfect toy at the cheapest price possible regardless if you have to
camp out in a parking lot and stand in a line as long as the entire shopping center doubled back. Hey if
you have to push several kids into the shelves and trample someone's grandma to get what you really want.
It is even worth getting tazed and going to jail I tell ya!
Back to top Go down
unclegus
Balladeer

Scorpio

PostSubject: Re: Christmas!   Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:20 am

LOL! just kidding, I couldn't resist.
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Christmas!   Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:20 am

Oh my goodness! I forgot "A Charlie Brown Christmas"! The Linus part turns me into Christmas mush and when they throw their little heads back to sing, I crack up every time. I must see that and soon. HA!

I will edit that post to add it. Very Happy

Last edited by Joy on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos...grrrr...)
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Christmas!   Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:21 am

lol! , unc...there were some CAH-RAZY Black Friday stories, weren't there?
Back to top Go down
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: Christmas!   Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:44 am

Sync's story is why we need "LIKE" buttons on here Smile

....this year's Black Friday seems to have been a lot more violent than the ones in the past? NOT a good trend...

Joy, .a close friend in Lexington loved singing in the church choir, and was so exuberant about it she actually would throw her head back like the singers at the end of the CB Christmas show when she sang. She had red hair and when she sang she looked just like the red headed one in the CB group.
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Christmas!   Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:56 am

HAHA....love it, Puf! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Christmas!   Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:46 pm

Aww, Puf, I bet that was sweet to see Smile There is nothing present-wise that would make me stand in line for days or fight crowds to get a few dollars off. Oh, I like Charlie Brown Christmas too, and the singing part is the best...I like that little tree, too.

It always fascinates me how I felt I got so much that year...interesting how our perspective affects us so much.

Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Christmas!   Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:42 pm

Puf, what did the B-man do this year at the first signs of Christmas? I fully admit to that being one of my favorite new traditions, the fun of hearing all of your Christmas stories. I look forward to the B-man's reaction to each holiday actually...I might be blowing my tough chick persona...oh yeah, I don't have one of those. Razz

True, Sync. My childhood didn't resemble Leave it to Beaver either, but there are many great moments that I treasure. Hug
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Christmas!   Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:28 pm

Since y'all brought up Black Friday........

the kid that was tazed at Wal-Mart........He was one of my "student" coaches one year.............. doh
Back to top Go down
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Christmas!   Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:07 pm

Was he drunk as they said?
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Christmas!   Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:20 pm

Haven't a clue.......but, knowing him........I do not doubt it. A friend posted on FB that she saw it "go down" and she thought he was.............
Back to top Go down
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: Christmas!   Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:23 pm

Joy wrote:
Puf, what did the B-man do this year at the first signs of Christmas? I fully admit to that being one of my favorite new traditions, the fun of hearing all of your Christmas stories. I look forward to the B-man's reaction to each holiday actually...I might be blowing my tough chick persona...oh yeah, I don't have one of those. Razz

True, Sync. My childhood didn't resemble Leave it to Beaver either, but there are many great moments that I treasure. Hug

B-man got excited as soon as i started getting out Christmas decor, he did happy dances, then had to have tea. With the tree up now, he looks at it and smiles...sometimes a giggle. And that's what Christmas is to me, his happiness, and excitement.

I love the Christmas shows and have watched the standards every year since they first aired. Favorite movies....The Muppet's version of Christmas Carol 1st. Patrick Stewart's version 2nd. Along with Christmas Story and the original Christmas in Connecticut. Favorite songs, Ave Maria and Mary Did You Know.
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Christmas!   Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:30 pm

Well, I'm giggling reading about his smiling, dancing and giggling and will probably giggle every time I come back to read it again...thanks, friend. Smile
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Christmas!   Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:41 pm

snowman :cmascat: snowman :cmascat: snowman :cmascat: snowman

snowsmile snowsmile snowsmile snowsmile snowsmile snowsmile
Back to top Go down
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: Christmas!   Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:44 pm

Joy wrote:
Well, I'm giggling reading about his smiling, dancing and giggling and will probably giggle every time I come back to read it again...thanks, friend. Smile

you're welcome Smile
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Christmas!   Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:31 am

Melts me every time...I needed a dose this morning...

*sigh* Kitty
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Christmas!   Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:02 am

I have always loved this...........................

Eight-year-old Virginia O'Hanlon wrote a letter to the editor of New York's Sun, and the quick response was printed as an unsigned editorial Sept. 21, 1897. The work of veteran newsman Francis Pharcellus Church has since become history's most reprinted newspaper editorial, appearing in part or whole in dozens of languages in books, movies, and other editorials, and on posters and stamps.

"DEAR EDITOR: I am 8 years old.
"Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus.
"Papa says, 'If you see it in THE SUN it's so.'
"Please tell me the truth; is there a Santa Claus?

"VIRGINIA O'HANLON.
"115 WEST NINETY-FIFTH STREET."

VIRGINIA, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except [what] they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus. It would be as dreary as if there were no VIRGINIAS. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas Eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if they did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You may tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, VIRGINIA, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

snowsmile :hohoho: snowsmile :hohoho: snowsmile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Christmas!   

Back to top Go down

Christmas!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1