An atheists thought on prayer.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: An atheists thought on prayer.   Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:40 am

I claim to be an atheist, but I am probably more of an agnostic. I find it difficult to believe in a supreme deity, but I am open to conjecture. I could be wrong, you know. If something happened that I could only explain as an act of God, I would have no trouble changing my mind. A lot of my problem with Christianity is not with the religion, but with some of the practitioners. Believe it or not, there are Christians out there that believe everyone who doesn't share their belief should be eliminated. On the other hand, you have folks like Joy and Ono, and an ex father-in-law who make up for the intolerant, and for whom I have the utmost respect.

I imagined some of the expressions on your faces when I (the atheist) asked for prayers. A little shock, maybe a smile? I think Lmm Puf, and Sync will understand that I believe in a collective conscieneness, the power of positive,or negative, thought. I don't think we know the full potential of the human brain and what it is capable of. I believe that our thoughts may influence the behavior and outcome of our environment. Physicists seem to agree. (please don't make me type out the whole story Giggle ) .

SO...do I believe in the power of prayer? Absolutely. Prayer is good thoughts and when you have a number of people thinking the same good thoughts, I believe that has an influence. Maybe what Sync and I do with our good thoughts is a form of Prayer.

They may make me turn my atheists badge and hat when they read this but so be it. I will leave you with some wise words I heard as a child from that great philospher Popeye......I yam what I yam and thats all what I yam. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
unclegus
Balladeer

Scorpio

PostSubject: Re: An atheists thought on prayer.   Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:08 am

Good post Bluetick!
A person does not have to be religious to be spiritual!
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: An atheists thought on prayer.   Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:48 am

Thanks Gus.
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: An atheists thought on prayer.   Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:33 pm

I agree. Whether there is a 'man' in the sky or not, there is still hope and love and good thoughts in the world.
So wishing for a good outcome has the same meaning as praying for a helping hand. I know that wishes and prayers are different, but if I wish with all my heart for a good thing to happen, wouldn't that be prayer?

I think so, but then, I'm an New Age/ Christian/ Wiccan/ Druid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where is Bill when you need a comeback? Giggle Giggle Giggle Giggle Giggle

Best wishes Blue.
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: An atheists thought on prayer.   Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:26 pm

Druid, Wiccan, Witch, Shaman,whatever, you're a winner in my book. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: An atheists thought on prayer.   Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:29 pm

Good post! I would say since I don't believe in any deities I am an atheist, but as you said, if some way there was conclusive...I mean really conclusive...proof there was a deity I wouldn't sit and pout about it and not see the evidence. I don't think it is my place to decide what is right for anyone else, but that is my own view. I totally do believe that what we put out into the universe makes a big difference and I have seen plenty of proof of it. It doesn't matter to me if a person calls the intentions prayers, thoughts, energy, or whatever, but if the intention is positive it is a good thing. Yes

I think atheists come in various flavors just as any other groups do and as with any group some are obnoxious and some are wonderful people, and I would say I am very spiritual but not religious. I am a Reiki Master, so obviously I see what amazing things happen with the intention of positive energy and how easily we can carry around negative energy that really does change our lives if we don't realize it. I just don't happen to attribute the amazing things I experience and see my students and clients experience as brought about by a God, but I seriously believe they do occur. I believe it is our thoughts, words, and actions that matter and not where we go to church or if we do..leave the world a better place is the point to me.

I agree too that the human (and other animals' as well) minds are amazing and capable of horrible or incredible power, and my background in science corroborates what happens as Blue mentioned. People sometimes assume that if a person is atheist s/he doesn't believe in anything, but that isn't true. It just means s/he believes in many of the same things anyone else does (love, kindness, sorrow, etc.) but just not deities. I ask for and offer whatever a person wants to call the good thoughts or energy when I am in need of them, and I can understand and am glad you did as well, Blue Hug
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: An atheists thought on prayer.   Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:45 pm

Hey, thats what I said. Only you said it much better. Giggle

Sync, I really appreciate your post. Sounds like you and I share exactly the same belief, and thought I was all alone in this.
Back to top Go down
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: An atheists thought on prayer.   Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:51 pm

Blue, I feel that way really often Laughing It's nice to know I'm not alone, too Hug
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: An atheists thought on prayer.   Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:43 pm

psssfh........neither one of you are alone........I accept you and love you both for the person(s) that you are

But then again.......I am the demonic satyre as "the one who is an idiot" said........so I guess y'all are all alone Razz

Psssst.......go read some Jung, 'Tick. It will do your heart good on a cold night.

((((hugs)))) to both of you
Back to top Go down
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: An atheists thought on prayer.   Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:05 pm

Ubu wrote:
psssfh........neither one of you are alone........I accept you and love you both for the person(s) that you are

But then again.......I am the demonic satyre as "the one who is an idiot" said........so I guess y'all are all alone Razz

Psssst.......go read some Jung, 'Tick. It will do your heart good on a cold night.

((((hugs)))) to both of you

Ubu, you are really good at making me feel all warm and welcome and giving me a fit of Giggle at the same time. I mean "demonic satyre" is a pretty funny description, especially of you actually. Thanks for the kind words and the visuals you gave me Hug
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: An atheists thought on prayer.   Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:48 pm

Merry Christmas to you Ubu and Mrs. Ubu and young-uns. You've always been good at makin a feller feel better. It is good to have you as a friend. Thumbup
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: An atheists thought on prayer.   Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:28 pm

Same to you buddyro....... Hug
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: An atheists thought on prayer.   Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:20 am

I just now had time to read through these...didn't want to do so hurriedly. Kitty

Thanks, blue! Hug

Because I am sure of my faith, I obviously wish all my loved ones shared it. However, a person's faith is a personal choice. Since it's impossible to make that decision for another, it is completely illogical to make yourself a nuisance in an attempt to force others to believe. That doesn't mean a person of faith should ever hide their faith...if they're truly a person of faith, that's not possible anyway. It's the obnoxious, in your face, behavior and condescending attitudes of SOME Christians that cross the line and in no way reflect the character of Christ. When a Christian acts that way, it's not Christ they are following, but Satan. JMHO

As far as of what the human mind is capable, what all exists in the spiritual world, and what else exists in the physical world, we know a great deal, but there is so much more to learn. The Bible was never meant to be used as a science book and I have NEVER found it to conflict with anything proven in science. When there is conflict, I usually find an agenda or bias behind it. Wink

What my friends believe or don't believe is their business, their choice. A true friend is rare and never to be taken for granted. If you have true friends or even just one, know that they are rare and treasure them as such.

Okay, I've gone on long enough. Love y'all!!!
Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: An atheists thought on prayer.   Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:18 am

Good point, Joy. If we both see a sunset and you interpret the reason it is there one way and I interpret it another, as long as we both respect each other's view it all works. I think it's nice that it's there and we can enjoy it together however it got there...respect and boundaries are the key in my personal view.

To me it's like art class when the teacher puts up a scene for students to paint. If you have ten students every single one will have a totally different picture when finished and each is how the person saw it and interpreted it. They all have value and intense personal meaning to each artist, there isn't a one right way to do it, and we can all look at each other's if the person chooses to share and appreciate that it is the person's interpretation and therefore valid.

I wouldn't presume to criticize anyone's painting just as I wouldn't want them telling me mine is wrong and I must change it to make it exactly like theirs. A big part of the fun of class to me is seeing all the ways a person can see the world. We don't have to talk only about our differences, but can be friends and enjoy each other however we draw the scene Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: An atheists thought on prayer.   Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:21 am

The beauty here is that as friends, real friends, we can discuss our differences and remain friends. Who knows, we may learn something from each other.
Back to top Go down
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: An atheists thought on prayer.   Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:25 am

Absolutely, Blue Yes
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: An atheists thought on prayer.   Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:26 am

cheers Clap Thumbup
Back to top Go down
O No!
Limerick Lover

Virgo

PostSubject: Re: An atheists thought on prayer.   Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:25 pm

Blue, as usual, I have been away from this forum and had no idea you were having problems. I've been trying to catch up on what I have missed, and I'm guessing the reason you asked for prayer is because of your friend who is having trouble. Or is it something else?

Whatever it is, you know that I pray for you every night anyway. I will add some extra ones now. And please know that I am one of the many many people who think the world of you. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: An atheists thought on prayer.   Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:11 pm

Ono I am ok.The prayers were for my friend. You are sweet. Thanks for the prayers and thanks for being my friend.
Now, tell me about that new guitar. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: An atheists thought on prayer.   Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:12 pm

How is your friend, Blue..I was wondering that and meant to ask?
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: An atheists thought on prayer.   Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:20 pm

The stab wound is healing nicely but the mental problems remain. He is in the mental care facility in Huntsville, and they can't seem to find the right combination of drugs. It is hard too understand, for us that are not battling these things, what motivates someone to do these kind of things.
Back to top Go down
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: An atheists thought on prayer.   Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:28 pm

Well, when a person's biochemical balance is off and s/he can't think clearly anything can happen. We don't tend to realize how lucky we are that we can think through behavior and consequence, kwim? I can say that if I don't get my thyroid meds every single day I just can't think straight and that isn't even near the complicated situation he's in with more than one thing out of balance. I've been depressed before and seriously couldn't see at that point light at the end of the tunnel or what contribution I could ever make to anyone at that point. That wasn't anything like what he must have been going through either, so I guess I can see how with his issues it would be easy to fall into that cycle, and I am just glad he is getting some help.

It's such a delicate balance between wiping him out with meds and controlling his symptoms. I'll be thinking of him Hug
Back to top Go down
O No!
Limerick Lover

Virgo

PostSubject: Re: An atheists thought on prayer.   Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:42 pm

Blue, the guitar came and it was all wrong! Crying It was not what I ordered! The top was wrong, the body was wrong, and it sounded like a cheap, tinny piece of junk. It is going back and they are going to have to rebuild it. The only good thing about it was the electronics. It'll probably take another YEAR before I get it back. I am NOT happy. There has been so much other crap going on that even THIS was minor. All that money and a whole year's wait, and I think it is a minor thing that they did it all wrong - that tells you what kind of fall/winter I've had so far. Rolling Eyes

But compared to your friend, I guess I don't have much to complain about. I hope he can see the light at the end of the tunnel soon. Let his wife know that she is in my prayers too.
Back to top Go down
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: An atheists thought on prayer.   Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:45 pm

O No...that is awful after all that waiting:(
Back to top Go down
O No!
Limerick Lover

Virgo

PostSubject: Re: An atheists thought on prayer.   Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:02 pm

Thanks Fro, I mean Sync. It really isn't that big a deal. I've been trying to help a dear friend who has cancer, and that surely puts things in perspective. I got a crummy guitar, but she is fighting for her life. Blue's friend is fighting for his sanity. And there are so many other people with MUCH bigger problems than mine.

Besides, I have 15 other guitars to play in the meantime. Giggle
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An atheists thought on prayer.   

Back to top Go down

An atheists thought on prayer.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next