HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Vaccines for cancer coming in the future

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Vaccines for cancer coming in the future   Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:10 am

http://www.livescience.com/17689-5-medical-advances-predicted-2012.html

Medicine gets closer to treating cancer with vaccines.

Radiation and chemotherapy reign as the go-to treatments for cancer, but for 20 years researchers also have been exploring the use of therapeutic vaccines. In 2012 that work may come to fruition.

"It's an exciting time for cancer vaccine development," said Dr. Larry Kwak, professor and chairman of lymphoma and myeloma at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.

"What's especially impressive is the diversity of cancer vaccine. It bodes well for what you're going to be seeing in the future," Kwak said.

More than 250 clinical trials of vaccines, including 34 for breast cancer, are under way, according to the National Cancer Institute.

Like other vaccines, cancer vaccines use a chemical marker of a disease (in one case, a virus; in another, a malignant tumor) to train a person's immune system to fight the disease.

But unlike vaccines for the flu or chicken pox, which are preventive, "we almost uniformly vaccinate after cancer is there," Kwak said.

Some cancer vaccines in development could be administered to many people, while others – including Kwak's vaccine for follicular lymphoma – would have to be tailored to each patient's tumors.

Kwak's vaccine has passed Phase III trials and is moving toward the final steps of regulatory approval. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved the first cancer vaccine, called Provenge, in the spring of 2010 for the treatment of prostate cancer. A vaccine for melanoma performed well in the final stages of clinical trials last year.

"What ties them together is they are activating the immune system so it's primed and ready to fight,” Kwak said.

The National Cancer Institute reports there are ongoing clinical trials for therapeutic vaccines to treat bladder, breast, cervical, kidney, lung, pancreatic and other forms of cancer.

This is a page of predictions in medicine. Unfortunately, a lot of it is political BS. This, I thought, was the best part. mooncat
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Vaccines for cancer coming in the future   Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:27 am

cheers

I gotta tell you though...I wouldn't want to be the first human they try it on...but I'm still glad they are getting closer.
Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Vaccines for cancer coming in the future   Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:20 am

Wow...that would be awesome. I like the idea of personalizing the vaccine for the person, too. I hope this happens...it makes sense and they have worked on it for years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vaccines for cancer coming in the future   

Back to top Go down

Vaccines for cancer coming in the future
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1