Share | 

Florence City Edumacation.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Nagel
Odist

Aquarius

PostSubject: Florence City Edumacation.   Tue May 24, 2011 5:21 pm

this is goign to be a boring annoying rant. feel free to totally skip over it.

my son gose to florence middle school. he wasn't given the option for most of his classes. he got to choose band, but totally without his input they decided he needed to take " Home Arts".

he's told us of how horrible the class was all year long, that he wasn't learnign a single thing he would ever be able to use and he hated it.
well,.. it's school... it's the new and improved home ecc... and he's a boy.. yeah, i can see how and why he would hate it.

i didn't understand the depths of what my child was saying until i was helping him study for the exam.

i don't know who this woman is that's teaching this class, but she needs to be removed form any and all conctact with children, secured for access to pointy objects, and tauhgt how to make macaroni necelaces and kept in a quet place until she gets better.

some of his teachers annoy me, but he's learning and making good grades, so thye are doing their job. i don't have to liek them. it would make it easier, but it's not at all required.

this woman needs to be boiled in hot caramel then buried in cool whip. with sprinkles.

here ae a few examples of the home arts ( aka home ecc for dummies) final exam.

FINAL EXAM.... just wanted to emphasize that a little.

below the question is the answer that she provided for a study guide.

I AM NOT MAKEING THIS UP!

Q/how many 1/3 cups are in a cup.?
A/ three

Q/ What is innappropriate during a job interview?
A/ gum and cell phones.
( no mention of flipflops, dirty clothes, being stinky, pointing at the picture on the desk and saying " whos the chubby broad?". just no gum and no cell phones. i've given job interviews where the guys mom kept coming over and tryign to answer the questions for him. he looked mortified and kept apologizing. i hired him. he was a good kid, but his mom kept tryign to run the store to his benefit. i kept him, i fired her.but i digress. the point is there are MUCH more important things you can do to blow a job interview than have gum or a cell phone.)

Q/ what are material resources.
A/ fixing a bike, passing a test, deciding on your own hairstyle.
(i repeat - i am not making this up. this is he answer the teacher expects on the exam)

Q/ what kind of chemicals are dangerous to young children?
A/bleach, windex, and detergent.
( but i guess the ligherfluid, bug spray and rat poison and just dandy)

and the grand finale...

Q/ Are al lthe members in the Cosby Show biologically related.

this is an exam question. a final exam.

this woman is an embarasment to teachers everywhere, and i don't care if he passes the exam , or the class, or not.
he passed his core classes by HUGE margins... made a 99 on his science exam today.. so he'll go to the 9th grade regardless of his grade in this test.

and no.. i haven't told him that, and won't until the exam is over. he should still try his best, even if his teacher is dumber than a bag of hammers and crazier than a football bat.
but, between us, until tomorrow, i wouldnt' care if he made a zero on the test. it's an insult to his intellegence.

i don't knwo the woman's name.. or i'd have made fun of her much more effectivly.

rant over. thank you for you time... and yes, i do feel better for having gotten it out Wink

Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Florence City Edumacation.   Tue May 24, 2011 5:37 pm

You're Welcome!

Giggle

Seriously though......I feel your pain and if a rants helps............Mine are coming.....trust me LOL

Wheeeeww! Glad I caught that before Earthmomma did........ Clap
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Florence City Edumacation.   Tue May 24, 2011 6:17 pm

What a complete ditz. Who cares about the Cosby show? It was over years ago.

How about how to fix a meal for 4 people who just show up using left overs?
Or how to be polite when some one calls your meal 'disgusting'? LOL

Tell him any thing is OK Nagel. To quote Ron White: You can't fix stupid!
Back to top Go down
The Nagel
Odist

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Florence City Edumacation.   Tue May 24, 2011 11:16 pm

that's my plan... after the test Smile i don't want him to scrub it on purpose because he knows he can get away with it...
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Florence City Edumacation.   Tue May 24, 2011 11:33 pm

Good idea. What grade is he in Nagel? I'm not familiar with the middle school grades. Out cheer in the county, alz we got is k-6 and 7-12, or 7-8 if you drup otz. LOL
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Florence City Edumacation.   Tue May 24, 2011 11:34 pm

Wow...so our state pays this woman and other teachers have lost their jobs...yeah, that makes sense.

You'll need to deprogram the boy later. Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
The Nagel
Odist

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Florence City Edumacation.   Wed May 25, 2011 11:34 am

lmm wrote:
Good idea. What grade is he in Nagel? I'm not familiar with the middle school grades. Out cheer in the county, alz we got is k-6 and 7-12, or 7-8 if you drup otz. LOL

florence city is k-6 elementary 7-8 middle, 9th is 'the freshman center' which is in the same building as the 'middle school' which is acctualy the old coffee high school building.
10-12 is high school, which is in the old bradshaw building.

this is the end of his 8th grade year.
Back to top Go down
The Nagel
Odist

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Florence City Edumacation.   Wed May 25, 2011 11:45 am

Joy wrote:
Wow...so our state pays this woman and other teachers have lost their jobs...yeah, that makes sense.

You'll need to deprogram the boy later. Shocked

heh.. nah... not this kid. he's had me as a dad for 14 years. he knows how ludicrous the whole class is, and how pointless the exam is. i'm having trouble trying to get him to take it seriously enough to pass the exam. heh.. i needed to de-deprogram him just for the exam

my kids aren't the most popular in school... but this is because for years they have known exactly who they were and didn't and don't need to take part in ' the cool kid stuff' for feel worthwhile.

one of my daughters friends told her " OMG i can't believe you don't have your owh cell phone, how do you do anything? i can't get anything done with out my phone, how do you know what ever one is up to? are your parents poor or just mean?

she said " i don't need a cell phone. i have a life."
the girl didn't talk to her for the rest of the day, to which my daughter commented " meh, it's no big.. she's just a twit who can't do anythign without checking with 20 different people to decide what she thinks about it. she my friend, and she's sweet, but she's pretty much a sheep.

i love my
Beautiful
Intellegent
Tenecious
Charming
Headstrong
daughter.
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Florence City Edumacation.   Wed May 25, 2011 12:08 pm

bahahahahaha.....to funny Nagel, that last part of course

I've always used a similar approach with my kiddies.

There are two types of people in this world. Cows and Cowboys....You can either be a cowboy and ride herd, or be a cow and get your butt branded.....

I have a

Beautiful
Intellegent
Tenecious
Charming
Headstrong

daughter also. When she was in the third grade we were at a football game and a 7th grade boy knocked her down. She chased him down, tripped him, and started to pummel the beejeezers out of him. Someone video taped it and send it out in a text. It went viral. Now any time this boy acts up they pull that video out. What's so hilarious about it is she is a tiny little girl. Even today she is the smallest in her class, but no one messes with her.
Back to top Go down
Evil Genius
Sonneteer

PostSubject: Re: Florence City Edumacation.   Wed May 25, 2011 1:10 pm

Later on he will appreciate the fact he had to take home arts ec or whatever they call it. When he gets older he will at least probably want to cook and do laundry and stuff. I actually wish they had made guys take about a half a year of that type stuff, of course if you took it as an option you would have been labeled a sissy. And I did not have this appreciation of "home arts" when I was that age.

It's sort of like typing, I had to take typing in high school and I was excellent at it. But that was not high on my priorities at the time. In the 1980's when personal computers came along, it was probably one of the most useful classes I took.

I'm sure there are zany things in the class and questions, but your son will be alot better off in the future for having a wide breadth of teaching and experiences. He will appreciate it when it's important in the future so better off encouraging him.
Back to top Go down
The Nagel
Odist

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Florence City Edumacation.   Wed May 25, 2011 4:26 pm

Evil Genius wrote:
Later on he will appreciate the fact he had to take home arts ec or whatever they call it. When he gets older he will at least probably want to cook and do laundry and stuff. I actually wish they had made guys take about a half a year of that type stuff, of course if you took it as an option you would have been labeled a sissy. And I did not have this appreciation of "home arts" when I was that age.

It's sort of like typing, I had to take typing in high school and I was excellent at it. But that was not high on my priorities at the time. In the 1980's when personal computers came along, it was probably one of the most useful classes I took.

I'm sure there are zany things in the class and questions, but your son will be alot better off in the future for having a wide breadth of teaching and experiences. He will appreciate it when it's important in the future so better off encouraging him.

that's what i thought to.. when he started fussing about it, at the very begining of the year i told him every one needs to now how to cook, sew enough to at least put on a button and mend a small rip, change a baby, prepair formula, etc etc.

except he's brought me some of his class work. they didn't teach him how to cook. they didn't teach him how to sew, needle or a machine, or much of anything about babies.

they taught him how to prepare a pack of martha white blueberry muffins. they taught him how to make cheese dip. ( cut velveeta into 1 inch cubes. dump in 1 drained can of Ro-Tel tomatos w/green chili's.)
they taught him how to recognize a sewing needle, and embroidery need and a knitting needle, and what a pincushion is for, but not how to use any of them. they taught him the parts and theory of a sewing machine. he cna point out the pressor foot, the bobbin, and so on, but he doesn't have a clue how to use them.

i whole heartedly agree with you - everyone needs a good home ecc class, and a typing class ( i wish i had taken it.) but this wasn't a good home ecc class... they taught parts and theory, not function.

fortunatly, tho, he has a tiny neice, and there is a toddler in our house ( long story - not our toddler) so he's had a crash course in caring for little people.
the teacher, he says , covered diapers in about 10 seconds. " if the diaper is wet or dirty, remove the velcro strips, and clean up the baby with wipes, and throw it away and put on a new diaper. it's that simple."
several times we made both of the kids change the toddler (thankfully now potty trained, which both of my kids were made to help with) until it was clear they could do it with ease. my son said " when they are wigglin, and tryign to get down to play and screaming and mad at you cause they don't want to be bothered, and there tummy is upset there is NOTHING simple about changeing a diaper. that woman is just nuts."

i may be an Ahole, but i refuse to turn a barely functional and capable adult loose on the world just because ' it's the school's job to teach our kids'.

heh.. just be glad the wasn't sex ed... i blew up. i saw the information they were teaching the kids, and why, and i wrote a letter and CC'd it to each member of the school board, and to the state board of education as well. while it still irks me, i'm pretty much over it.

the sex ed they taught was , essentiall, " if you have sex before you are married, you could get pregnant, or std's or both. "
no mention of protection and prevention, because at the time ( thanks to W) if a state taught anythign other than ' abstanance only" sex ed, they stood to lose millions in federal funds. AL rolled over for money, and in doing so endangers tens of thousands of kids. tennessee told W to take his money and shove it, as did georgia and louisiana. not sure about MS. but alabama played nice doggie to get cash.

ok.. maybe i'm not over it.

/rant
Back to top Go down
The Nagel
Odist

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Florence City Edumacation.   Wed May 25, 2011 4:27 pm

Ubu wrote:
bahahahahaha.....to funny Nagel, that last part of course

I've always used a similar approach with my kiddies.

There are two types of people in this world. Cows and Cowboys....You can either be a cowboy and ride herd, or be a cow and get your butt branded.....

I have a

Beautiful
Intellegent
Tenecious
Charming
Headstrong

daughter also. When she was in the third grade we were at a football game and a 7th grade boy knocked her down. She chased him down, tripped him, and started to pummel the beejeezers out of him. Someone video taped it and send it out in a text. It went viral. Now any time this boy acts up they pull that video out. What's so hilarious about it is she is a tiny little girl. Even today she is the smallest in her class, but no one messes with her.

cows and cowboys indeed.

and your daughter sounds like an awesome kid Smile
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Florence City Edumacation.   Wed May 25, 2011 6:46 pm

Quote :
several times we made both of the kids change the toddler (thankfully now potty trained, which both of my kids were made to help with) until it was clear they could do it with ease. my son said " when they are wigglin, and tryign to get down to play and screaming and mad at you cause they don't want to be bothered, and there tummy is upset there is NOTHING simple about changeing a diaper. that woman is just nuts."

Now that is a smart kid. Take his teacher a screaming one year old with an upset stomach on antibiotics and a fever and change THAT diaper!
Nagel, you have done well by ll the kids you have. Be proud. Rockon
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Florence City Edumacation.   Thu May 26, 2011 6:48 am

Y'all are awesome Dads. cheers

The Nagel, I had a PE teacher like that in high school. One of oh so many examples...We spent a ridiculously long time on rules and techniques of volleyball, then played for a week...the ratio was about 20 to 1, book time vs. play time. Volleyball is not that freakin' complicated. I learn better by doing...so I thoroughly hated this class. I was friends with one of the funniest humans on the planet, who was in that class with me and as bored as myself. So, I stayed in trouble for laughing, eventually becoming friends with the backside of that woman's paddle...just me, mind you! Funny girl never got caught! No, I'm not bitter. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
The Nagel
Odist

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Florence City Edumacation.   Thu May 26, 2011 7:52 pm

Joy wrote:
Y'all are awesome Dads. cheers

The Nagel, I had a PE teacher like that in high school. One of oh so many examples...We spent a ridiculously long time on rules and techniques of volleyball, then played for a week...the ratio was about 20 to 1, book time vs. play time. Volleyball is not that freakin' complicated. I learn better by doing...so I thoroughly hated this class. I was friends with one of the funniest humans on the planet, who was in that class with me and as bored as myself. So, I stayed in trouble for laughing, eventually becoming friends with the backside of that woman's paddle...just me, mind you! Funny girl never got caught! No, I'm not bitter. Razz

and yet... there is a bill before AL congress right now about giveing the state the power to dismiss ineffective teachers, and the AEA is screaming tyranny and rape and all manner of injustice to try and get it shot down.
shouldn't we be more interested in educating our kids well, instead of preserving the jobs of teachers who can do their jobs?

but maybe that's just me.
Back to top Go down
Firenze
Odist

PostSubject: Re: Florence City Edumacation.   Tue May 31, 2011 11:18 pm

Let me say I have the greatest respect for education. Now that I've said that, let's talk turkey about teachers. Many are just plain stoopid! Nagel, I would keep copies of all homework, tests, etc. In order to be certified, the classes have to have a lesson plan. I doubt this one could pass muster at Hope Haven--sorry, just telling it like it is.

I would go first to the school board, then to the state. Of course, you can look at it that it's over in nine months and won't kill your son. The sad thing is he could have been taking somethng very useful.

Some years ago in Tuscumbia, a friend's daughter was told a floppy disk was the 5.25 and the hard disk was the 3.5. Similarly the son of another friend was sent to detention in Cherokee because he drew a medieval knight in art class wearing a mitre hat. It reminded the teacher of a Klan member. Go figure...
Back to top Go down
http://pen-n-sword.com/
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Florence City Edumacation.   Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:06 am

Many are just plain stoopid! Nagel,

That is all you need to say. We argued one year with a teacher over an answer in a science book. It was wrong. We proved it was wrong. It stayed the 'correct' answer.

affraid Shotgun Giggle
Back to top Go down
dogsoldier0513
Sonneteer

PostSubject: Re: Florence City Edumacation.   Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:42 am

Quote :
she said " i don't need a cell phone. i have a life."
the girl didn't talk to her for the rest of the day, to which my daughter commented " meh, it's no big.. she's just a twit who can't do anythign without checking with 20 different people to decide what she thinks about it. she my friend, and she's sweet, but she's pretty much a sheep.

Those last 6 words say a say a whole lot about how that young lady was raised. KUDOS to the parents!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Florence City Edumacation.   

Back to top Go down

Florence City Edumacation.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1