PostSubject: Right to Carry   Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:01 am

Got this in the ol' e-mail today

HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION 585
By Niceley

A RESOLUTION urging the State of New York to use common
sense and sound judgment in the disposition of
the case against Meredith Graves.

WHEREAS, on December 22, 2011, Meredith Graves, a registered nurse, fourth-year
medical student, and Tennessean traveled to New York City for a residency interview at
Brookhaven Memorial Hospital on Long Island; and
WHEREAS, while in New York City, the soon-to-be doctor and her husband, Richard
Disharoon, decided to pay their respects to the victims of 9/11 and attempted to enter the
hallowed memorial at Ground Zero; and

WHEREAS, believing the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution was still
in effect and possessing a fully authorized license to carry from the great State of Tennessee,
Ms. Graves arrived at the memorial with her .32 caliber pistol stored in her purse, never
imagining the mayhem that would shortly ensue; and

WHEREAS, as she quietly approached the sacred landmark, Meredith Graves caught a
glimpse of a sign, warning, “No Guns Allowed,” and, as any law abiding citizen would do, she
quickly reached out to a security guard and inquired as to the proper procedure for checking a
firearm; and

WHEREAS, the guard directed her to a separate section and explained that she was in
luck because it just happened to be “Law Enforcement Day;” and

WHEREAS, with no reason to be concerned, Ms. Graves followed the guard’s
instructions and respectfully asked a police officer the same question; and

WHEREAS, reacting with undue haste, the officer immediately arrested Meredith Graves
on a weapons-possession charge, and she was subsequently held on a $2,000 bond; and

WHEREAS, despite having no prior criminal record, Ms. Graves must report to court on
March 19, 2012, when these charges will be prosecuted by the Manhattan District Attorney, who
plans to pursue a conviction on felony gun possession. This serious allegation carries a
minimum sentence of three and one-half years; and

WHEREAS, clearly, this incident was simply an unfortunate misunderstanding and any
attempt to pursue legal action against this devoted health care professional would be a grave
miscarriage of justice; now, therefore,

BE IT RESOLVED BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES OF THE ONE HUNDRED
SEVENTH GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE, THE SENATE
CONCURRING, that we hereby urge the State of New York to use common sense and sound
judgment in the disposition of the case against Meredith Graves.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that we remind the citizens of New York, especially those
residing in New York City, to drive carefully through the great State of Tennessee, paying extra
attention to our speed limits.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that a certified copy of this resolution be transmitted to
Michael R. Bloomberg, Mayor of New York City

Well Played Tennessee.....well played in deed

Here's a linky to the New York Post story for same http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/pistol_whipped_at_wtc_1x32hgT52UNhxkP36ZYAgJ
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Right to Carry   Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:09 pm

Good grief...as if I'd walk through New York City without a gun! Rolling Eyes Please God let them have sense enough to drop the charges and have a long talk with the first class jerk posing as a guard.
Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Right to Carry   Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:15 pm

I'm not a fan of concealed weapons personally for general use as in sightseeing, but even for me I see that she did tell the police she had it and didn't try to sneak in or anything that indicated she knew she was breaking a law. Yes, it's good policy to see what the guns laws are somewhere if you intend to carry, but this lady doesn't appear to have done anything sneaky or willfully illegal and did report she had the weapon. I don't get why they would so forcefully prosecute since she told them she had it, and maybe a small fine for having it or probation or something...not a big deal prosecution. If I see that why wouldn't they?

I really do like the little note to make sure they follow the speed limits in TN Giggle
Back to top Go down
Sassy Kims
Balladeer

Leo

PostSubject: Re: Right to Carry   Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:35 pm

It's a little hard for me to believe that someone who has a Tennessee CCW license hasn't been exposed to the fact that it's a violation of the Sullivan Act to have a firearm in NYC. IIRC, where you can legally carry with a TN CCW is part of the required curriculum of the mandatory course to obtain the TN CCW license.

That said, I feel that a citizen who has not been convicted of a felony, or domestic violence, or has not been adjudicated mentally ill, should have the right to carry a weapon any where they want to.
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Right to Carry   Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:23 pm

ah hah........the rest of the story!!!!!

Thanks SK.....I had a feeling that was the case......

And I agree with your last statement. While I do not carry a concealed weapon, I do support the right to do so............
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Right to Carry   

Back to top Go down

Right to Carry
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1