HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

17 lost pyramids discovered in Egypt by space scientists

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: 17 lost pyramids discovered in Egypt by space scientists   Wed May 25, 2011 7:09 am

Link: 17 lost pyramids discovered in Egypt by space scientists

Quote :
Seventeen lost pyramids are believed to have been found in Egypt by a team of space archaeologists from Alabama, according to a report.

Sarah Parcak and her team at a NASA-sponsored laboratory at the University of Alabama at Birmingham made the discoveries using a satellite survey, and also found more than 1,000 tombs and 3,000 ancient settlements in infrared images that show up buildings underground, BBC News reported....

..."These are just the sites [close to] the surface. There are many thousands of additional sites that the Nile has covered over with silt. This is just the beginning of this kind of work," Parcak told the BBC.

"It just shows us how easy it is to underestimate both the size and scale of past human settlements," she added.

She said the techniques she used were "an important tool" in working out where to focus excavations on the ground.

"It gives us a much bigger perspective on archaeological sites. We have to think bigger and that's what the satellites allow us to do," she said. "Indiana Jones is old school, we've moved on from Indy ... sorry, Harrison Ford."

The BBC made a documentary about Parcak's work called "Egypt's Lost Cities", which is due to be shown in Britain on May 30.

Isn't it nice to see Alabama's finer minds make the news?

Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: 17 lost pyramids discovered in Egypt by space scientists   Wed May 25, 2011 8:48 am

WOW this is awesome. Can't wait to see the documentary! Gives me the shivers thinking what else may be discovered........

But the bigger question is, "did the pyramids know they were lost?", and "how did they get lost in the first place?",...........oh snap, never mind. I know the answer. They are men and wouldn't stop for directions!

Crackingup
Back to top Go down
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: 17 lost pyramids discovered in Egypt by space scientists   Wed May 25, 2011 9:09 am

I love things like that...and anxiously await the documentary!

for archaeology lovers that enjoy reading, i highly recommend James Michener's "The Source" .... it will totally change how you see "dirt"
Back to top Go down
Evil Genius
Sonneteer

PostSubject: Re: 17 lost pyramids discovered in Egypt by space scientists   Wed May 25, 2011 11:13 am

Yes the pyramids are very interesting to me, especially the great pyramid and what resources and technology of the time were utilized. I look forward to learning more.

Maybe they'll show it on BBC America or PBS soon after.
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: 17 lost pyramids discovered in Egypt by space scientists   Wed May 25, 2011 11:41 am

Here's a video from the news story on BBC. Sorry, the forum will not allow me to embed it, so you'll have to visit the link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-13518143
Back to top Go down
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: 17 lost pyramids discovered in Egypt by space scientists   Wed May 25, 2011 2:53 pm

Thank you, Ubu!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 17 lost pyramids discovered in Egypt by space scientists   

Back to top Go down

17 lost pyramids discovered in Egypt by space scientists
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1