My newest TOY...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
cage the elephant
Free Verse!

PostSubject: My newest TOY...   Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:36 am

And, no, it doesn't need batteries...
And, YES...I'll make the bed up, BEFORE Mrs Cage comes back home...
Giggle Giggle

Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: My newest TOY...   Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:03 am

I can't decide if I'd feel more or less safe if my husband had one of those....LOL...grats, cage, enjoy!
Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
unclegus
Balladeer

Scorpio

PostSubject: Re: My newest TOY...   Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:56 am

Is this what you was wanting to shoot in my back yard???
I would definitely be getting a visit from Augie if you played with that here!
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: My newest TOY...   Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:29 am

Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap
Back to top Go down
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: My newest TOY...   Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:29 am

Just a quick question....it's lovely, but what do you plan to shoot with it? affraid
Back to top Go down
Sassy Kims
Balladeer

Leo

PostSubject: Re: My newest TOY...   Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:57 am

Nice one, Cage...

I got a couple similar to that...I tend to burn through way too much ammo with them, so they mostly stay in the safe. Cool

Especially the full auto ones I have....7.62x51 NATO is awful expensive for 40 rounds to last less than 5 seconds... guns Shotgun Shotgun Cool
Back to top Go down
cage the elephant
Free Verse!

PostSubject: Re: My newest TOY...   Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:02 am

unclegus wrote:
Is this what you was wanting to shoot in my back yard???
I would definitely be getting a visit from Augie if you played with that here!

Yeah, that's right...give in to the ESTABLISHMENT! Fear the MAN! Grovel to LAW!

VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shotgun Shotgun
Back to top Go down
cage the elephant
Free Verse!

PostSubject: Re: My newest TOY...   Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am

Sassy Kims wrote:
Nice one, Cage...

I got a couple similar to that...I tend to burn through way too much ammo with them, so they mostly stay in the safe. Cool

Especially the full auto ones I have....7.62x51 NATO is awful expensive for 40 rounds to last less than 5 seconds... guns Shotgun Shotgun Cool

Can I come shoot at YOUR range? Gus won't let me shoot at HIS!!
But! He lets Gabby come down there... Giggle
Back to top Go down
Sassy Kims
Balladeer

Leo

PostSubject: Re: My newest TOY...   Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:03 am

We might arrange something soon. I need to shoot my AR-15s, a couple of DSArms SA-58's, an AC-556 Ruger and one or two more. Got a can (suppressor) for a Ruger MKII .22 pistol I haven't tried yet. And a brand new Ruger Scout Rifle, with Leupold scope that hasn't had a round through it. Mad
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: My newest TOY...   Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:49 am

I need in on that. I've got a SKS that hasn't had a round through it yet...........
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: My newest TOY...   Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:51 am

Gus can hold the target.......... Whistle Whistle Whistle
Back to top Go down
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: My newest TOY...   Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:55 am

Can you guys help me with something? I'm not a gun collector or shooter, so I wonder a couple of things and you obviously know the answers. When people have several guns and/or high-powered guns (I am ignorant so please pardon my descriptions Giggle ) obviously you can't hunt with so many and some aren't appropriate for it anyway...is it to collect like I might collect animal statues (I love animals..lol) or something? Or do you need them for something else? Is it that they are fun to shoot? I sincerely want to understand Smile

I don't mean a person who has one for protection or law enforcement who have a couple for work, but those who have more or some seriously powerful ones? I need education Smile
Back to top Go down
Sassy Kims
Balladeer

Leo

PostSubject: Re: My newest TOY...   Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:42 am

Synchronicity wrote:
Can you guys help me with something? I'm not a gun collector or shooter, so I wonder a couple of things and you obviously know the answers. When people have several guns and/or high-powered guns (I am ignorant so please pardon my descriptions Giggle ) obviously you can't hunt with so many and some aren't appropriate for it anyway...is it to collect like I might collect animal statues (I love animals..lol) or something? Or do you need them for something else? Is it that they are fun to shoot? I sincerely want to understand Smile

I don't mean a person who has one for protection or law enforcement who have a couple for work, but those who have more or some seriously powerful ones? I need education Smile

Gun collecting has a lot of different reasons. Some collect because of an appreciation for the mechanical workings of a fine firearm. Some because of inherent beauty of the guns...I do some of this with my engraved guns. Some because of the power factor, the ability to discharge large amounts of ammo, or extremely powerful rounds. And some because it makes them feel powerful and worthy (these are the ones the "compensating for a small penis" jokes come from).

Even with hunting guns, there is no one generic gun that will do a good job of hunting all game. Different calibers with different power levels are used for different game. You wouldn't use the same rifle on a deer and a squirrel. And the guns you use for one discipline of shooting sports are totally wrong for another. For example, I shoot both IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) competition and CAS (Cowboy Action Shooting). The guns for these two sports are very rigidly defined, and will not interchange.

Guns are fun to shoot, and are an investment, and in the right hands, a security measure. In the wrong hands, they can be deadly.
Back to top Go down
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: My newest TOY...   Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:45 am

That was a really good explanation, and it makes sense to me. I think we usually only hear about the "small penis" group and not so much the competition aspect. What would the new toy be used for? Is it for competition or something else? Pardon my ignorance again, please. Giggle
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: My newest TOY...   Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:49 am

Psssfh......Armageddon.......duh.......... Whistle

Just pickin' at cha...........

For everyone it is going to be a little different. But my take.........

I grew up with guns. We supplemented our "table" with wild game. Seriously, there were times that dinner would have been a little scarce otherwise. I hunted up until I was in my twenties. I don't hunt anymore-don't have to. But, If Gus was smokin' up some venison I would be one of the first to dig in..........So that's how it started with me.

Also, it was a way to "learn" how to trade. Knives and guns have always held their value and it was a good way to learn "business"..........

Over time, I guess I just kept trading around for the fun of it.

But there is a sense of satisfaction shooting a good group over a distance.

And yeah......in the back of my mind there is always that thought of "you never need a gun until you need a gun" ..........

And yeah, I do firmly believe that the reason we have never been invaded as a nation is because of the gun bearing populace..........We are prepared to repeal boarders......... Very Happy

It is that simple........ and it is more complicated than that..........

It's not an easy question to answer, but I hope this helps..............
Back to top Go down
Sassy Kims
Balladeer

Leo

PostSubject: Re: My newest TOY...   Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:50 am

Synchronicity wrote:
That was a really good explanation, and it makes sense to me. I think we usually only hear about the "small penis" group and not so much the competition aspect. What would the new toy be used for? Is it for competition or something else? Pardon my ignorance again, please. Giggle

Not a problem at all. Cage's new toy is most applicable for home/self defense, and for plinking, casual shooting. It's not a highly accurate target rifle, and without a reduced capacity magazine, it's not legal to hunt with...although the round it fires would certainly be good for deer size game and down.

They are fun to shoot, and you can't hardly tear the damn things up...I've heard of them being thrown in a foot locker dirty and wet, and retrieved months later, rusted shut. The operating handle was forced open by kicking it a few times, and the dang thing fired a 30 round magazine without missing a hitch.

Back to top Go down
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: My newest TOY...   Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:55 am

It helps a lot, and I appreciate your explanations! I remember shooting some kind of rifle with my dad (sharpshooter in the Army I think? I don't remember but I know he liked guns) once as a child, but nothing since then on the shooting end. scratch
Back to top Go down
cage the elephant
Free Verse!

PostSubject: Re: My newest TOY...   Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:17 pm

Synchronicity wrote:

OK, lemme try...

From as far back as I can remember guns were always around in my family. My Grandfather was a hunter. Mostly quail, rabbit, and squirrel. I think he enjoyed watching his dogs work more than anything. Plenty of memories of fried quail, bizkits and gravy for supper. Being as I was the firstborn male to his family he started taking me bird hunting with him as soon as I was big enough to keep up. Teaching me about guns. By the time I was 6 I already had a .22 rifle, and KNEW that a gun was NOT a toy by his constant teachings. In other words, I knew a gun could kill someone if not handled responsively. That was just hammered into my head, and so, was just second nature.
I often took my little .22 out at age 7, and plinked at cans. It was just as natural as putting on my shoes. No one in my family worried about it because they all knew how responsible I was. I've never had an accident.

I was also a history buff early as a child. War history. I could recognize uniforms, guns, tanks, airplanes, etc of most all armies , all eras, from memory. When the other kids were out playing baseball, football, etc. I was playing with my 100's of toy soldiers.

As a teen I started collecting actual guns used in war, from as many countries as I could afford. Just holding one and wondering about it's history was a "rush". What soldier carried it? Was anyone killed with it? What would it tell me if it could talk? History.

Most of all the guns I own have a military history. So, shooting them is fun, but also a type of an "experience" with history.

I also know that a gun can SAVE a life. I hope to never be in that situation, but if I ever do I want to have a level playing field. I carry, and have a permit to do so.

So, maybe that sheds a little light, at least on my personal reason.

Back to top Go down
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: My newest TOY...   Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:33 pm

Sassy Kims wrote:
Synchronicity wrote:

Not a problem at all. Cage's new toy is most applicable for home/self defense, and for plinking, casual shooting. It's not a highly accurate target rifle, and without a reduced capacity magazine, it's not legal to hunt with...although the round it fires would certainly be good for deer size game and down.

They are fun to shoot, and you can't hardly tear the damn things up...I've heard of them being thrown in a foot locker dirty and wet, and retrieved months later, rusted shut. The operating handle was forced open by kicking it a few times, and the dang thing fired a 30 round magazine without missing a hitch.

Wow...I didn't know something like that was for casual shooting. I am reading and learning Sherlock
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: My newest TOY...   Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:36 pm

LOL, do not take a literal definition of casual.................there is nothing casual about that weapon............he means not in an organized, sanction event.......... Giggle
Back to top Go down
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: My newest TOY...   Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:39 pm

cage the elephant wrote:
Synchronicity wrote:

OK, lemme try...

From as far back as I can remember guns were always around in my family. My Grandfather was a hunter. Mostly quail, rabbit, and squirrel. I think he enjoyed watching his dogs work more than anything. Plenty of memories of fried quail, bizkits and gravy for supper. Being as I was the firstborn male to his family he started taking me bird hunting with him as soon as I was big enough to keep up. Teaching me about guns. By the time I was 6 I already had a .22 rifle, and KNEW that a gun was NOT a toy by his constant teachings. In other words, I knew a gun could kill someone if not handled responsively. That was just hammered into my head, and so, was just second nature.
I often took my little .22 out at age 7, and plinked at cans. It was just as natural as putting on my shoes. No one in my family worried about it because they all knew how responsible I was. I've never had an accident.

I was also a history buff early as a child. War history. I could recognize uniforms, guns, tanks, airplanes, etc of most all armies , all eras, from memory. When the other kids were out playing baseball, football, etc. I was playing with my 100's of toy soldiers.

As a teen I started collecting actual guns used in war, from as many countries as I could afford. Just holding one and wondering about it's history was a "rush". What soldier carried it? Was anyone killed with it? What would it tell me if it could talk? History.

Most of all the guns I own have a military history. So, shooting them is fun, but also a type of an "experience" with history.

I also know that a gun can SAVE a life. I hope to never be in that situation, but if I ever do I want to have a level playing field. I carry, and have a permit to do so.

So, maybe that sheds a little light, at least on my personal reason.

Ohhh, that is all cool. So I'm seeing why it's part of the culture and I can see why so many people collect/hunt/compete/enjoy guns. Although I was born in Huntsville I've lived many places (many outside this area) in my life, and I never had it explained to me as you guys have. While I have no clue about any guns, I'm understanding the idea of valuing and keeping them Smile
Back to top Go down
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: My newest TOY...   Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:40 pm

Ubu wrote:
LOL, do not take a literal definition of casual.................there is nothing casual about that weapon............he means not in an organized, sanction event.......... Giggle

That is good to know. I'd hate to happen by the neighbor's house and be "casually" plinked Giggle
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: My newest TOY...   Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:45 pm

Synchronicity wrote:
Ubu wrote:

That is good to know. I'd hate to happen by the neighbor's house and be "casually" plinked Giggle

Well......I don't know about you neighbor, but at my house being casually plinked has a very different meaning................. Whistle Whistle Whistle

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sassy Kims
Balladeer

Leo

PostSubject: Re: My newest TOY...   Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:52 pm

Ubu wrote:
Synchronicity wrote:
Ubu wrote:

Well......I don't know about you neighbor, but at my house being casually plinked has a very different meaning................. Whistle Whistle Whistle

lol!

Nothing casual about being plinked...been there, done that. Damn sure didn't like it. Cool
Back to top Go down
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: My newest TOY...   Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:00 pm

Well, I got what Ubu meant and I'll have to research the plinking a bit more before I comment Wink

Not sure which way Sassy meant it, but I would agree on your statement there, Sassy. Yes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My newest TOY...   

Back to top Go down

My newest TOY...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next