Alabamian

A Southern Point of View

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Senate OKs new districts - political packing?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Senate OKs new districts - political packing?   Fri May 27, 2011 6:58 am

Link: Senate OKs new districts, splitting the Shoals

Quote :
The chairman of the Legislative Black Caucus, Democratic Sen. Bobby Singleton, of Greensboro, said the plan increases the percentage of blacks in the 7th District and reduces the percentage of blacks in the 2nd and 3rd Districts to cut down on any chance of Democrats ever winning those districts, like Democrat Bobby Bright did in the 2nd District in 2008.

“It’s political packing by the Republicans,” he said.

In the House, Democrats complained the same tactic was used to place most black voters in two districts, including the strangely shaped district that stretches from the mostly black neighborhoods in Mobile to Montgomery.

Democratic Sen. Linda Coleman, of Birmingham, predicted that if the plan passes the House next week, it will be challenged in federal court.

Is there any truth to this?

My first instinct is always to assume there is an undercurrent of political mumbo jumbo, but in this case I don't think so. I really think they felt keeping Morgan County in one district is more important that keeping Lauderdale & Colbert together. It just so happened that it could adversely effect Dems.

If I understand correctly, it is about the numbers. The census tells them if an area has decrease or increase in population. Then in order to make sure each area is represented fairly, with correct number of representatives, they adjust accordingly.

What do y'all think?
Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
Evil Genius
Sonneteer

PostSubject: Re: Senate OKs new districts - political packing?   Fri May 27, 2011 10:26 am

Of course it's true. That's why when legislatures change party control, like just happened in Alabama, you make changes to congressional districts to give your party advantage. In the extreme it is called Gerrymandering, if I spelled that correctly. This just happened in Texas not long ago there was a big fight when the Republicans did this there. It's common for each party to do this, it just isn't widely known, except when you studied it in civics in high school, and who remembers any of that lol.

The Shoals area has had a tendency to vote Democratic in state and congressional elections, so what they are doing is dividing the Democrat vote in the Shoals to dilute that vote in the two different districts assuring Republican wins, in effect halfing the Democratic influence of the Shoals voters. The current district has been trending Republican over the last few years over toward Madison and Morgan County, and the district Colbert is being placed in is heavily rural Republican so will dilute the influence of Colbert County voters and the Democrat vote in Lauderdale's district will be minimized.

Nothing new to see here, move along.
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Senate OKs new districts - political packing?   Fri May 27, 2011 10:46 am

It seems to me to be RACIST to assume blacks always vote democrat.
Like the South always vote republican.
Or all blacks can dance.
All white men are short, fat, and stupid.

I digress..............................
Back to top Go down
Evil Genius
Sonneteer

PostSubject: Re: Senate OKs new districts - political packing?   Fri May 27, 2011 12:32 pm

well you proved his point all of those are true Giggle
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Senate OKs new districts - political packing?   Fri May 27, 2011 4:29 pm

All true? affraid

I know some tall skinny white men and some blacks who can't dance. Giggle
The South voted democrat for a loooooong time before it started voting republican.

Dance Monkey Dwarf Crackingup Bubba
Back to top Go down
Evil Genius
Sonneteer

PostSubject: Re: Senate OKs new districts - political packing?   Fri May 27, 2011 5:50 pm

so you want to argue with my attempt at humor? lol

Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Senate OKs new districts - political packing?   Fri May 27, 2011 6:18 pm

Argue? Nahhhhhhhh.
If I was arguing, you would not have dancing monkeys!

Monkey
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: Senate OKs new districts - political packing?   Fri May 27, 2011 8:22 pm

lmm wrote:
It seems to me to be RACIST to assume blacks always vote democrat.
Like the South always vote republican.
Or all blacks can dance.
All white men are short, fat, and stupid.

I digress..............................

I AM NOT SHORT Bubba Ustink Dwarf
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Senate OKs new districts - political packing?   Fri May 27, 2011 8:49 pm

Ummmm, OK, but that fat and stupid stuff????????

Giggle Giggle Giggle Giggle Giggle Giggle

Shotgun
Back to top Go down
The Propagandist
Sonneteer

Virgo

PostSubject: Re: Senate OKs new districts - political packing?   Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:33 pm

lmm wrote:
All true? affraid

I know some tall skinny white men and some blacks who can't dance. Giggle
The South voted democrat for a loooooong time before it started voting republican.

Dance Monkey Dwarf Crackingup Bubba

Somebody told me after the last election this was coming.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Senate OKs new districts - political packing?   

Back to top Go down

Senate OKs new districts - political packing?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1