Share | 

It's the end of the world (again)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: It's the end of the world (again)   Thu May 19, 2011 9:36 am

Not exactly the way I envisioned starting "Spiritual Side of Life", but there it was in the headlines...what's a girl to do, right?

Link: It's the end of the world (again)

Quote :
Maybe you haven't heard, but Saturday is the end of the world.

Not the end of the world exactly, but it is the supposed date of the Rapture, after which all of us left behind on Earth will be in for a really nasty time, culminating in the real end of the world on Oct.21.

That's the prediction of Harold Camping, the 89-year-old president of the Family Radio network. You may have seen one of his billboards proclaiming that the end of days is upon us.

It's hard to tell for sure, but Camping seems to have developed a following, even though he doesn't exactly have a good track record when it comes to forecasting Judgment Day.

Twenty years ago, Camping predicted the world would end in 1994. (Oops.)

Camping, naturally, can explain in great detail why he got it wrong then and why he has it right this time.

He's sure Saturday is the day.

“It is going to happen,” he told National Public Radio. “There is no Plan B.”

Technically speaking, this is Plan B. Plan A was in 1994. The real question is, is there a Plan C?

But I don't want to dwell on Camping. Lots of people have foretold the end of the world, using both religious and secular arguments. And they all have one thing in common: They've all been spectacularly wrong so far.

The new book “Future Babble: Why Expert Predictions Are Next to Worthless, and You Can Do Better” by Dan Gardner is mostly about the futility of trying to predict the future in general.

But Gardner does spice it up by recalling some of the more notable doomsday predictions of the past century.

Y2K, anyone?

There's Marian Keech, a psychic who predicted the end of the world would come on Dec. 21, 1955.

Then there's Paul R. Ehrlich, the famed biologist who claimed in his still-influential 1968 book “The Population Bomb” that the world would fall into starvation and chaos by the 1980s.

Since he wrote, the world's population has nearly doubled, but the percentage of the world's undernourished has more than halved over the same period, according to the United Nations.

(Oops, again.)

Keech is all-but forgotten, but Ehrlich is unrepentant and still regarded, by many, as a credible expert.

The 1970s were a particularly fruitful time for doomsday predictions, Gardner notes. Hal Lindsey's “The Late Great Planet Earth” was the decade's top-selling book.

In the '70s, as now, people were worried about inflation, unemployment, the price of gasoline and tensions in the Middle East.

When the world seems chaotic, people crave knowledge about the future, even if that knowledge is all doom and gloom. It's a behavior that seems to be hard-wired into our brains.

Even if we get past this weekend unscathed, we still have 2012 to deal with.

Based on a misrepresentation of the Mayan calendar, some people claim the world will end Dec. 21, 2012.

If Dec. 21 seems like a popular day for doomsday, that's probably because it's the winter solstice, which people have regarded for thousands of years as symbolic of transition and rebirth.

But actually the Mayan calendar doesn't “end” in 2012. It just cycles back to its beginning, which is what our calendar does every December.

That's how calendars work, and there's nothing special about it. The Earth orbits the sun, heedless to how we humans keep count.

The world will end someday. Maybe in 5 billion years when the sun runs out of fuel, expands and burns the planet to a cinder. Maybe we'll be flung out into deep space when our galaxy merges with the Andromeda galaxy in an estimated 3 to 5 billion years.

Or maybe we'll go out the old fashioned way, done in by an asteroid, just like the

dinosaurs.

But if I were you, I'd still plan on going to work Monday – unless you have a really good Plan B.

I included the whole article because the sarcasm cracks me up.

I'll only add this. If Mr. Camping will take the time to read the book on which his religion is based, he will find that it tells him in no uncertain terms that no man knows the date when the Son of Man will return. As a good Southerner would say...bless his heart.
Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
The Nagel
Odist

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the world (again)   Thu May 19, 2011 5:08 pm

Joy wrote:
Not exactly the way I envisioned starting "Spiritual Side of Life", but there it was in the headlines...what's a girl to do, right?

I'll only add this. If Mr. Camping will take the time to read the book on which his religion is based, he will find that it tells him in no uncertain terms that no man knows the date when the Son of Man will return. As a good Southerner would say...bless his heart.

yeah, that's something that always tickled me too. the line is ' it shall comes as a thief in the night, and no one knows of it's coming save the Father".

and yet people who follow that book continually tell us when it's goign to be. the way i figure, pay attention to when they are declaring the end of the world, and throw your biggest party, because you KNOW that day will be safe. if a man has predicted it, then clearly the bible says that it will not be that day because only the father knows.
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the world (again)   Thu May 19, 2011 5:43 pm

I got hot dogs and pepsi. I'm good for the event.
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the world (again)   Thu May 19, 2011 7:51 pm

I've got BEER and ribs. brang it on!
Back to top Go down
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the world (again)   Thu May 19, 2011 7:56 pm

In a weird way, i can't help but admire his faith in his beliefs. After the ridicule he went through last time, he is throughly convinced this time he is right, so there won't be ridicule to suffer through, again.
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the world (again)   Sat May 21, 2011 9:18 am

Um, y'all still here? *gulp*

Shocked

*cricket, cricket*
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the world (again)   Sat May 21, 2011 9:20 am

Still here!!!!!!!

Poor guy, I hope being wrong doesn't give him a heart attack! Kitty
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the world (again)   Sat May 21, 2011 9:27 am

Mornin Joy. You've read enough of my stuff to know I wasn't going anywhere today. Even though you didn't get to go to a better place today, I for one am glad you are still here with us. I know, I'm selfish, but whats one more little black mark? If there is a heaven I have no doubt you will get there. Smile
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the world (again)   Sat May 21, 2011 9:37 am

I have no doubt you will be there too, LEO ! I don't picture God with a checklist of believers and non believers. It's what's in your heart that counts. Or at least that is my OPINION, FWIW.

Any body else watch the show called "God, the Devil, and Bob"? on Adult Swim? You can also google it and watch episodes. It's hilarious!
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the world (again)   Sat May 21, 2011 9:43 am

Thank God! Peace

Thank you, leo...I sure am glad somebody is left here with me. It would have been a shame for hot dogs and ribs to go to waste. I assure you had I known the way to your homes, I'd have done my duty as a "waste not, want not" child.

Yum
Back to top Go down
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the world (again)   Sat May 21, 2011 9:55 am

my presence may be questionable, but since my son is still here i know nothing has happened......
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the world (again)   Sat May 21, 2011 11:45 am

Awwww....true, PuF, but I think we'd have to include you right alongside the B-man.
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the world (again)   Sat May 21, 2011 12:13 pm

Absolutely, PuF, you and Bman get the ribs in heaven. They do have ribs, right? I mean, seriously, no ribs or beer, why go???????!!!!!!!!!! Kitty

flower
Back to top Go down
Purr
Poet Laureate

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the world (again)   Sat May 21, 2011 1:04 pm

You folks are very sweet, thank you I love you

I don't drink beer, but i can sure handle some ribs!
..... barbecue....please, let their be barbecue in heaven Please
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the world (again)   Sat May 21, 2011 1:13 pm

I know for a fact there will be pie because both my Grandmothers are already there.

I'm salivating just thinking about those pies...lol.
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the world (again)   Sat May 21, 2011 3:43 pm

Ooooh, Joy. my grandmother on dad's side made the best lemon pie I ever tasted. Always cooked meringue on top. Made your mouth pucker, but oh so good. Yum
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the world (again)   Sat May 21, 2011 5:45 pm

Why is my wife like a lemon pie?

Cause its got meringue on it. Very Happy

I know....puns are the lowest form of humor.
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the world (again)   Sat May 21, 2011 7:28 pm

Cute, leo! Puns are fun, yo.

lmm wrote:
Ooooh, Joy. my grandmother on dad's side made the best lemon pie I ever tasted. Always cooked meringue on top. Made your mouth pucker, but oh so good. Yum

SEE! There will most definitely be pie! One of my grandmothers made an apple pie (from scratch including drying the apples she picked herself) that nobody else in my entire life has been able to rival & Lord knows I've tried them all...haha...she also made apple, peach and apricot pastry things - looked like fried pies but she made them in the oven - pure Heaven.

My other Grandmother made Rock Pie - looked like dumplings, tasted like sweet comfort...I think it only had like four ingredients or something, a pie born out of the Depression years. Nobody knows how to make it because like most women whose food is a work of art, she didn't have a recipe; she just made the thing.

I sure miss those two ladies, and not just for their cooking. I love you
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the world (again)   Sat May 21, 2011 7:50 pm

Oh man....fried pies. I haven't had one in years. Tried to make them once. What a disaster. Granny had it down to an art. Peach and apple. Fried to a golden brown perfection.
Well thank you...now I got to go find somethin for my sweet tooth. And I had just lost 4 pounds...sheeesh...... Giggle
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the world (again)   Sat May 21, 2011 9:03 pm

When I lose weight I always find it in the back. Giggle

Fried pies, apple pie, peach, and one SIL made a Hershey's pie. Yum
Pie, ribs, Bar B Q, chocolate, beer!

Heaven is going to smell great!!! Monkey

Rockon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the world (again)   

Back to top Go down

It's the end of the world (again)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1