HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Hummingbird becomes prey for a preying matis

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Propagandist
Sonneteer

Virgo

PostSubject: Hummingbird becomes prey for a preying matis   Thu May 17, 2012 5:29 pm

Praying Mantis Makes Meal of a Hummer

Though we tend to think of hummingbirds as cute, dainty little things, in reality they make bold and fierce competitors. They don't let their guard down for a moment while defending their territories from other hummingbirds. They must also watch out for other animals that might prey on them, such as American kestrels in North America or tarantulas in South America. Praying mantises are also known to capture and kill hummingbirds, as a reader from West Chester, Pennsylvania, describes. - BWD

The other day while I was working in the yard my son urgently called to me. "Dad, a praying mantis caught a hummingbird!"

Not sure what to expect, but knowing my son is not one to make things up, I came running to see for myself. By the time I arrived it was too late for the poor hummer and my scientifically minded son had already begun taking pictures and studying the scene.

As you can see from the photographs this hungry mantis captured and killed a hummingbird not much smaller than itself. The mantis used its spiny left foreleg to impale the hummingbird through the chest while leaving his right leg free.

The mantis captures the bird with a swift swipe of its forelegs.

The mantis impales the hummingbird's chest with its foreclaws.

We surmised that the mantis ran the hummer through and dangled its full weight on its foreleg while he consumed the flesh of the hummingbird from the abdomen. After he had his fill, the mantis gave his foreleg several swift jerks and freed his leg.

This was an unfortunate experience for the hummer, but we are amazed to realize how fast, precise, and powerful the mantis must be to accomplish such a feat!

Richard L. Walkup
West Chester, PA
http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/bwdsite/learn/hummingbirds/mantis-hummer.php?sc=migrate
Back to top Go down
Bluetick
Poet Laureate

Aries

PostSubject: Re: Hummingbird becomes prey for a preying matis   Thu May 17, 2012 6:57 pm

Wow. Kinda makes you glad to at the top of the food chain huh?
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Hummingbird becomes prey for a preying matis   Fri May 18, 2012 8:36 am

He must have been prayed up. Yes Moral Lesson: Say your prayers, bird. Giggle Okay, I'll stop.

Dang, did NOT know that about the praying mantis. If there were ever a chance I'd touch one of those things, and there's not, I'll just mosey on along from now on and leave them be.
Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
Synchronicity
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Hummingbird becomes prey for a preying matis   Fri May 18, 2012 8:52 am

Wow...I never heard of that before...wow! That is amazing how the mantis is strong enough to hold the hummer that way while eating.

We really aren't the top of the chain unless we have weapons. We do like thinking we are, though Giggle But I know what you mean...I'm happy to not be a hummingbird even though they are so beautiful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hummingbird becomes prey for a preying matis   

Back to top Go down

Hummingbird becomes prey for a preying matis
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alabamian :: Science & Nature-
Jump to: