View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:01 am

http://youtu.be/4aWIQFogJAc

I just bumped up this topic on TVT as well...thought I'd post it here, too. Mark has a way of using humor to tell the truth. This video is hilarious and very true. Smile

I've been struggling for a while. I bet I am not alone. Is it too much to ask to fellowship with believers who do not think Obama is the Antichrist, who know how many times love is mentioned in the Bible as opposed to homosexuality, who know that the Church is the Church & God doesn't care about denominations, who do not criticize other denominations with unreliable info, who want to dig deep in God's Word & grow, who don't just give money but give themselves? I know how far I fall short. The more I know, the more I realize how much I don't know, but the closer I get to God, the more frustrated I am in just playing church. Sometimes I feel alone. A few that felt as I do left my church, probably for the same reasons I listed above. Do other Christians here feel this way?
Back to top Go down
http://alabamian.forumotion.com
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:35 am

I'll reply even though I guess I am not a true Christian. I gave up on the 'church' years ago. Too much talk of BS and too little Bible. The bashing of each others denomination is very ignorant. There are so many ways to interpret passages and to look at scripture that when any one says "I KNOW", I know they are full of it.
I cannot quote many scriptures, can't give you book and chapter for an item, and cannot claim to have but a very remedial reading level of the Bible.

BTW, Obama is not the antiChrist. That was Nero! LOL , or GW Bush depending on political preference. Also depends on if the "number of the beast' is 666, or 616 as some early manuscripts show. Big difference there.
Any way, did i even answer any of your questions? Probably not.
FWIW, I think you are a wonderful person Joy and the most 'Christian 'Christian I know.
Back to top Go down
Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:46 am

lmm wrote:
I'll reply even though I guess I am not a true Christian. I gave up on the 'church' years ago. Too much talk of BS and too little Bible. The bashing of each others denomination is very ignorant. There are so many ways to interpret passages and to look at scripture that when any one says "I KNOW", I know they are full of it.
I cannot quote many scriptures, can't give you book and chapter for an item, and cannot claim to have but a very remedial reading level of the Bible.

BTW, Obama is not the antiChrist. That was Nero! LOL , or GW Bush depending on political preference. Also depends on if the "number of the beast' is 666, or 616 as some early manuscripts show. Big difference there.
Any way, did i even answer any of your questions? Probably not.
FWIW, I think you are a wonderful person Joy and the most 'Christian 'Christian I know.
Somehow I missed this post LMM. I agree. If there is a true Christian[ someone like Christ] [sinless] [humble] [forgiving] it's certainly our Joy. We should all strive to be like her. If there is not a special seat on the right hand of God with her name on it ,I'll be surprised. There easily could have been a godhead of four. hahaha I'm just kidding LMM she's just a sinner just like the rest of us. My point is you souldn't let others discourage you. I'm sure Joy would find you a seat right next to her at the religious assemblage. Why dont you give here the chance.
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:58 am

I don't take credit for any 'Christian' or Christ-like behavior y'all see in me. There's plenty devilry - I just hide it well. God gets the credit for picking up the pieces I left him, putting me together and keeping me on the right path when I'm following his lead. I'm pretty dang selfish, truth be known...he just keeps cleaning me up.

lmm is my friend. I love you We can freely talk about our beliefs & trust the other to understand.

I think it's arrogant to assume that God told us everything He knows within the pages of the Bible. We've come a long way, but there is an infinite amount of knowledge and wisdom we have yet to discover. Also, I'm of the opinion that those who attempt to use the Bible as a science book miss it's purpose altogether.

JMHO
Back to top Go down
Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:07 am

so true so true all is not revealed. Nor is science a bible.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:13 am

Two of the greatest minds, in the world today, one of which is in my avatar, claim to be atheists.
I watch them struggle for answers which exclude God. Even with their great intelligence they fall miserably short.
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:15 am

You, having deviltry? Say it ain't so Mother Teresa!!! Twisted Evil

Love ya hon. I am a mess, luckily, God deals well with messes. Yes

Buff,
I have had offers to go to churches and I have went to several. Not one felt right. As long as I keep searching, I'm fine.

Joy, I agree. The Bible is not a science book, a history book, or a geology book.
It is a mixture of oral and written history of mankind from each writer's perspective. The only way I feel that we could even come close to any true meaning is to study the Old Testament, the Torah, in the original Hebrew, then study the New Testament in Greek and Aramaic and know a complete history of the culture at the time. As soon as someone gets all that done, then we'll know more what things mean.

Like the 'lamp unto my feet' reference you mentioned Joy. It refereed to real lamps tied to people's feet to light the path. Now how many knew that? Not me. Kitty
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:36 pm

LMM, Joy is likely into a charismatic communication with religion. There’s nothing wrong with that. That’s not me. I practice it like the Bible teaches; that is simply a means to find strength in one another as a family.
In my opinion Jesus never intended for his followers to do anything but care for the needs of others. All this touchy feely ,hand waving, shouting, testifying is an invention of man and when a person like yourself cannot go off the deep end to feel this chrismaticism a little dab and then safely return to reality it is just confusing to you. Joy can do this and safely return. Others like Wesbro never return and remain mentally handicapped. I’m not picking on Joy but using her as an example since she is closer at hand. You do not have to go berserk at a church service to enjoy the fellowship with God or man. Everyone does not have the same control of faculties to the point of appearing congruent with everyone else. The fact that you seem to be laboring with finding the right group of nuts tells me you need to do one of two things. 1. Forget this religion thing or just simply join in with someone like Joy and when she gets down in the floor and rolls pay it no mind. It will all be forgotten when you and her are in the fellowship hall eating greeting, meeting, laughing, feeling concerned for someone or in Hackleburg as a church group helping the storm survivors.
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:57 pm

Well, to be honest, I don't know what that means. Styles of worship are as varied as personalities...each of us worship in the way we are designed. It might offend people, but it won't offend God. Wink

I'm a demonstrative person by nature, but in worship when the Spirit of God falls or the closer I feel to God or you are filled and the air around you is filled with God (whatever you call it), the quieter and more still I get, eventually not being able to speak at all. I was asked to sing with the Praise Team at church & told the music leader this, that sometimes I open my mouth and nothing will come out. It feels like if I reached out my hands, I'd surely physically touch God. When I fill up to overflow, tears roll down my face, but not sad tears, just full tears. We decided that was leading in worship, my form of worship, which others may share. I miss the Praise Team...it slowly went away when after our last music minister left.

Sorry. That's probably TMI. Embarassed Smile
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:19 pm

I was sitting here wondering what in the world gave you that idea, Buff...lol...and thought I might have shared with you the story of how God became my dance partner. I was going through a Bible Study one time, missed one session & borrowed the video to watch at home. The lady spoke of God being her dance partner & played their song. Well, I love to dance, my husband doesn't...so I got up & enjoyed a dance with the Lord. We still dance every once in a while; we love it.

What I never said in the telling of that event was the song and style of dance. You might have thought I meant break dancing, Buff. The more I think about that, the funnier it gets. Razz Just so you know, it was "Be Thou My Vision" and the waltz and I only do that in the privacy of my living room.

Now, I do have rhythm, will clap and move to upbeat music, having a great time with my sisters and my God, in or out of a worship service, but like I said, my deepest worship is still and quiet.

I will giggle about 'gets down in the floor and rolls' all day though. Giggle
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:22 pm

My point is, while you demonstrate what would not be offensive to God might in an assemblage discourage someone looking on and say, ‘if I cannot feel that’ there must be something wrong with me.
The advice to pray in private ain’t bad advice. I guess one thing that bothers me is the preacher behind Mcdonald’s that is very loud on tv and when you see him outside the church building he is as cool as a cucumber. When I see him outside the church building I expect him to come busting in Country Boys screaming and waving his arms with the same ridicule to potential sinners in the where-a-bouts or I’m thinking he is not sincere on tv. Do you attend there Joy?
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:34 pm

The only experiences I've ever had with that church is when I went by and asked them if I could put up a flyer for a benefit concert for a friend dying with cancer. They were the most willing to help me of any of the churches in that area, most of whom were snooty. At the church you mentioned, a very nice lady hopped up and took me to front and back foyers, made a place for the flyers & put them up herself.

The second time I went there with my friend, an ESL teacher, to drop off some materials they had asked for. They were about to start their service for Spanish speaking people in the area, but stopped to greet us, were very nice. I was impressed that they'd taken the time and effort to do minister to Spanish speaking people in the area.

That's about all I know about them. I've never seen the pastor there preach...so I can't comment on that, but both experiences with this church were positive.
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:46 pm

Buffalo wrote:
My point is, while you demonstrate what would not be offensive to God might in an assemblage discourage someone looking on and say, ‘if I cannot feel that’ there must be something wrong with me.

A person should not be shamed by man when their worship is pleasing to God. IMO, it's incredibly selfish to inhibit another person's worship just because it does not mirror you. The person who thinks something is wrong with them needs to talk to God about it, find out who they are in Christ and be at peace with their own style of worship.

I'm thinking you are speaking only of the extreme, a disruptive act that has more to do with getting attention than worshiping God. Thankfully, with the exception hearing a lady babble & call it speaking in tongues while in Honduras, I've never been in a worship service where that has happened.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:11 pm

I agree Joy you are right. I was just thinking how it looks to others. You said you were crying. Can you explain that experience?
Do you do it ever time?
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:06 pm

All this touchy feely ,hand waving, shouting, testifying is an invention of man and when a person like yourself cannot go off the deep end to feel this chrismaticism a little dab and then safely return to reality it is just confusing to you.

You certainly make a lot of assumptions there buff. I don't think I mentioned any of that. What turned me off to one church was half the group was asleep, and another church had the pastor talk about the evils of short dresses.

I have not been to one where they actually quoted a Bible verse, then discussed it.

Well, except for a Mass at a Catholic Church for a deceased relative.

As for others expressions of faith, that is their business, not mine. It does not intimidate or make me 'confused'.

COC buff?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:47 pm

Actually I was talking to the otheR LMM.

COC LMM. Problem?
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:55 pm

No, that was directed to me:

LMM,
Joy is likely into a charismatic communication with religion. There’s nothing wrong with that. That’s not me. I practice it like the Bible teaches; that is simply a means to find strength in one another as a family.
In my opinion Jesus never intended for his followers to do anything but care for the needs of others. All this touchy feely ,hand waving, shouting, testifying is an invention of man and when a person like yourself cannot go off the deep end to feel this chrismaticism a little dab and then safely return to reality it is just confusing to you. Joy can do this and safely return.

CoC is not a problem. Just that it's easy to spot one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:06 pm

lmm wrote:
No, that was directed to me:

LMM,
Joy is likely into a charismatic communication with religion. There’s nothing wrong with that. That’s not me. I practice it like the Bible teaches; that is simply a means to find strength in one another as a family.
In my opinion Jesus never intended for his followers to do anything but care for the needs of others. All this touchy feely ,hand waving, shouting, testifying is an invention of man and when a person like yourself cannot go off the deep end to feel this chrismaticism a little dab and then safely return to reality it is just confusing to you. Joy can do this and safely return.

CoC is not a problem. Just that it's easy to spot one.
how so?
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:46 pm

Uh, just to clarify for anyone coming through here & seeing the above quoted about Joy, please keep in mind that those are not my words. I did address this assessment by Buff on page one. Smile
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:50 pm

Buffalo wrote:
Actually I was talking to the otheR LMM.

COC LMM. Problem?

There is no other lmm here, Buff...what are you talking about?
Back to top Go down
lmm
Epic Author

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:52 pm

I'm not sure he knows.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:38 am

lmm wrote:
I'm not sure he knows.
LMM and JESUS I don’t see any reason for you two to keep fishing for some reason to pile on me.
If you will listen you will find greater wisdom in what I say than meets the eye. You two keep sniping at me for no other reason than a propensity to wear the pants. It’s a free world be your own men. Joy you said nothing would be dragged over here from the other forum and you and your mod LMM couldn’t wait.
Don’t be mean to me. Joy you owe me an apology. LMM is not impartial and doesn’t have any business being a mod.
Back to top Go down
Joy
Poet Laureate

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:56 am

I have no idea what you are talking about, Buff. I disagreed with you. We do that on forums. You did avoid answering the question though. Smile

Wear the pants? Wow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:06 am

Answer the question? You didn’t know? I was insinuating LMM [as in every woman I’ve encountered] has multiple personalities. Most of which are dangerous and should be avoided. Want to argue with that?
Back to top Go down
Ubu
Poet Laureate

Pisces

PostSubject: Re: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:07 am

Okay, I am going to break my rule to "not post" in this section.........., but Buffy take a chill pill. It's okay.

Neither LMM or Joy have said anything to warrant an apology. Everybody has their own posting style and as long as we recognize that and not take it personal we can have a great thing here........I "yank chains" for the fun of it. It's just what I do, but I freely admit that I can and do carry it too far. When I do, I don't mind being called on it. I don't take it personal.........wellllllllllll, I try not to, but I am human Very Happy

One of the things that I like is the diversity of the members. I have my friends of course, but this is not an "Us against the World forum" . With that diversity maybe we can all grow a little and be better people.

I hope you see that I am trying to "extend the olive branch", but know there are times that I will "yank your chain". And yes, I expect "my chain to be yanked" right back..........I would be disappointed if it wasn't Razz

If we carry it too far, let's stop, take a deep breath and start over.......................
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist    

Back to top Go down

Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next